Page 484 of 493 FirstFirst ... 384434474482483484485486 ... LastLast
Results 9,661 to 9,680 of 9853

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Uh, have you never read a single news report from the Middle East? Homosexuals are slaughtered for being homosexuals every day.

Also, "human life" is a relative, nebulous term in the case of abortion. It's why there's an entire debate on the definition of "conception" and "when does life begin?"
    Not sure what the first statement has to do with it. Homosexuality in and of itself is not an action that involves a human life being taken. What you describe is the barbaric punishment doled out for homosexuality in the Middle East, and not homosexuality itself.

Those other questions don't really matter with the point I was making. If someone believes abortion is a human life being taken, I would expect them not to view it as a personal choice. They would, and should, view it as fighting to protect human life.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    This is not a good argument. If someone believes an act is truly murder, you cannot expect them to not have problems with letting it go as a "personal decision". I would have a problem if someone said it was murder and didnt fight for it.
    There are people that think cutting down a tree is murder.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Or killing a cow. Or a chicken. Or an ant.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Grant amnesty to 25+ million illegals, abolish electoral college, continue 3rd world, 85 IQ immigration policies, new populace votes imperpituity for Big Government, nanny state policies.....

Become Brazil!

Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

I mean, in your world of "take what people say and crank the hyperbole to a thousand so it looks so much worse," sure.

In reality, abolish the EC. Become a representative democracy that's actually representative of the will of the People.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Phil,
    This country was not founded on a policy of popular mandate for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

OK, I'm game. Expand. I'm listening.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    OK, I'm game. Expand. I'm listening.
    Because us snobby East coasters, with all our slick book-learnin, don't know what the good people of the state of Montana need!

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Or killing a cow. Or a chicken. Or an ant.
    None of these involve human life, so none of these have merit. There's a presumed level of common sense here...and inalienable rights.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    None of these involve human life, so none of these have merit. There's a presumed level of common sense here...and inalienable rights.
    I find that lawmakers are usually for children's rights when it suits them.

Like they care about kids when the kids aren't immigrants, or aren't their own bastards.

Because us snobby East coasters, with all our slick book-learnin, don't know what the good people of the state of Montana need!
    The same things us snobby coastal elites do. Health care. Clean air. A fair playing field. Among others.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    The same things us snobby coastal elites do. Health care. Clean air. A fair playing field. Among others.
    Letís not kid ourselves.....Iíve been to NY and DC plenty for work.
    Iím much more snobby than any of you

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Let’s not kid ourselves.....I’ve been to NY and DC plenty for work.
    I’m much more snobby than any of you

You wear a flannel, trucker hat and steel toed boots...Just because you wore it to Nobu doesn't make you a snob.

Agreed, should get rid of affirmative action asap

Moderator Junior Division
    In reality, abolish the EC. Become a representative democracy that's actually representative of the will of the People.
    It's not representative of the will of the people, because the American voting public is, in short, dumb.

If you want a popular vote, then you better restrict voter access, b/c the vote of someone who just turned 18, dropped out of school at 15, is voting for the first time, and can't spell electoral college shouldn't count as much as a 34 year old ex Marine who owns a small business and has voted bipartisan every 2 years.

Not all votes are equal and the EC, flawed as it is, helps mitigate that problem.

And not for nothing, but Washington DC, which always goes heavy Blue, gets 3 votes and isn't even a state.
    Last edited by Future; 10-09-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Maybe. Equal opportunity, not equal outcome. AA can exist honoring the former. Whether it actually is or not, I don't know. I'd have to look into it a lot more.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    It's not representative of the will of the people, because the American voting public is, in short, dumb.

If you want a popular vote, then you better restrict voter access, b/c the vote of someone who just turned 18, dropped out of school at 15, is voting for the first time, and can't spell electoral college shouldn't count as much as a 34 year old ex Marine who owns a small business and has voted bipartisan every 2 years.
    No, it shouldn't. This is like the 3/5 compromise but around IQ.

Not all votes are equal and the EC, flawed as it is, helps mitigate that problem.
    By your own admission, it gives the undereducated a greater voice.

And not for nothing, but Washington DC, which always goes heavy Blue, gets 3 votes and isn't even a state.
    All the more reason to kill it.

I thought a lot about Pete's idea after Brexit. In short, his question was why the hell does everybody's vote count for the same?

Initially, I was a little taken aback, but I've come round to weighted voting. Like a corporation, maybe, where landowners (or whatever) get more say.

People with skin in the game should get more say.

Moderator Junior Division
    No, it shouldn't. This is like the 3/5 compromise but around IQ.

By your own admission, it gives the undereducated a greater voice.

All the more reason to kill it.
    It's not about IQ, it's about understanding how to vote based on policy. You don't have to be smart to do it, but you do have to make an effort.

No it doesn't, and I never said that.

Reform it. The only reason I mentioned that is b/c of Phil's Dakotas comment.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    It's not about IQ, it's about understanding how to vote based on policy. You don't have to be smart to do it, but you do have to make an effort.

No it doesn't, and I never said that.

Reform it. The only reason I mentioned that is b/c of Phil's Dakotas comment.
    Dude, half the Republicans in this country don't vote based on policy.