Page 519 of 521 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521 LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,380 of 10404

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    If true he isn't going to give up the wall. That would be 2020 suicide.
    All he has to say is that the job was longer and more difficult than he originally thought and that he is still the only guy who can build the wall. Stay the course.

I think it could work because his base still doesn't understand that to build the wall the way he wants it he needs to pass legislation and to pass legislation he needs to have the votes. (Whether he understands that yet or not, I am not sure.) But the point is he has not had, does not have, and will not have the votes to fund the wall. They only way they might have done it before is on the budget reconciliation, but they used that bullet to avoid a filibuster on the tax bill. Reconciliation is no longer an option with Pelosi in place.. Even if he somehow manages to find another impossible slit in the fabric of the electoral universe he can shapeshift through and get re-elected, he will likely have even fewer votes to work with after 2020. A President cannot just will a legislative proposal through Congress. (See Bill Clinton on health care, GWB on Social Security, and Obama on pretty much everything after 2010.) It was always a bullshit campaign promise unless he was able to get a bunch more GOP Senators. The Constitution is funny that way.

The national emergency route is all he's got and I think there is some pretty severe downside to that or he would have used it already.
    Last edited by RodrigueGabriel; 01-26-2019 at 12:06 PM.

day-to-day Midget Division
    'Can I visit the Smithsonian now? When will federal workers get paid?' Questions about the government shutdown -- answered
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/26/polit...-qa/index.html

"When are employees expected back at work?
    Given that the government reopened Friday evening, most furloughed employees are expected to report back to work on their next scheduled work day...

When will federal workers get paid?
    Both chambers of Congress passed legislation to guarantee back pay for affected federal workers, and Trump signed it last week. But it will likely be at least several days before employees get paid...US Coast Guard officials expect it to take three to five business days to process pay and benefits, a spokesperson said. But back pay may take as long as 10 days...

Are contractors getting back pay?
    The government shutdown was particularly hard on contract employees, including many who work low-wage jobs, like janitors and cafeteria workers.
    Contractors aren't guaranteed back pay, and whether they get paid for the past month is up to their employers...

Will charities that were aiding federal workers keep up the help?
    Some will..."
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    All he has to say is that the job was longer and more difficult than he originally thought and that he is still the only guy who can build the wall. Stay the course.
    That is a losing strategy and you know it. Trump will not run with that because he would lose large swaths of his base and moderate conservatives.

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Hey, he promised that Mexico would pay for it but he never promised he'd get it in one term. He can accurately say he just got the stuffing beat out of him working for the wall. His commitment is proven and it's just going to take longer. Like I said, it is a promise that he has never had the capacity as President to deliver. He's not the first politician to make one of those. Many don't have to face an ultimate reckoning for conning the people. But this is one Trump is not going to be able to run away from. He's going to have to fudge it somehow or he's meat.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Trump will say that over half the wall is now built and with just one more term he'll be able to finish the rest on schedule and under budget.

He has never let facts or the truth get in the way of a good marketing push. Why would he start now?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    As Mr. Kushner tucked into his “typical salad,” Mr. Christie wrote, the president said to him, “This Russia thing is all over now, because I fired Flynn.” Mr. Christie said that he started laughing, and the president asked why.

“‘Sir,’ I said, ‘this Russia thing is far from over,’” Mr. Christie wrote. Mr. Trump responded: “What do you mean? Flynn met with the Russians. That was the problem. I fired Flynn. It’s over.” Mr. Kushner added, “That’s right, firing Flynn ends the whole Russia thing.”

Mr. Christie, who wrote that it all sounded “naïve,” recalled Mr. Kushner telling him that he was “crazy” when he said they would most likely still be discussing the Russia issue in February 2018.
    In an interview on Sunday, Mr. Christie said that he did not believe Mr. Flynn was let go because of the Russia inquiry, but because keeping him on was “untenable” after officials said he had lied to the vice president.

“I think they thought that a result of that would be that this Russia stuff was over with, but I did not ever hear anybody say that that was the motivation,” he said.

Mr. Christie said the campaign was too disorganized and threadbare “to run a Tom Clancy operation,” and said he never saw evidence of collusion with Russian officials. But he argued that people like Mr. Flynn never should have been hired in the first place.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/27/u...ook-trump.html

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Kushner and Ivanka are the worst thing in the administration.

I'd argue having a Commander in Chief who values either of their input is worse.

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I guess today on twitter he went back to the voter fraud theme which like most other things he holds onto just isn't true.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'd like to see the letter next to the names of the candidates those people voted for, though I don't really have to. I think we all know. And isn't that what the "fight" to not improve border security really all about?

That and cheap labour, yes. I think beyond any reasonable doubt.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Maybe that's where Trump's 16% bump in approval ratings among Hispanics is coming from.

day-to-day Midget Division
    The US tried free labor. General Robert E Lee surrendered April 9, 1865, ending the Civil War. The 13th amendment to the US Constitution abolished slavery in the US, and was ratified on December 6, 1865.

Minimum wage was hard won.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimu..._United_States
    Workers used to work 7 days a week... 6.5 day week (with a half day for Sunday worship) was hard won.

Undocumented workers are a cheap labor force, but don't have the protections afforded US citizens. Misbehave, get reported, get deported.

Rich people accumulated their wealth in various ways. You can pay a fair wage, treat workers well, and build loyalty. Or, you can treat people as disposable, screw them over, because there are always more people looking for work. Alternatively, you can have that one great idea, have a lot of luck, use available resources, and leverage your way up the social ladder. Or you can win the lottery.

Apparent wealth (or poverty!) is a measure of social status. Based on dress, behavior, interaction, we form instantaneous impressions of who we like or don't like. Subsequent interactions modify initial impressions... but that first interaction affects how we view someone for weeks or months...

At work, at home, socially, I have to interact with (mostly) people I like, but also have to figure out how to deal with people I don't like. Arrogant, disrespectful, dramatic people are hardest for me to deal with. These assholes are democrats and republicans, people with various religious beliefs, people from different countries, people with different ethnicities, sexual preferences, etc.

'I hate New Yorkers' or 'I hate people from LA' Really? You're condemning millions of people from one city, just because of a few social interactions.

I'll stop rambling... temporarily
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

I named my 3rd kid after Lee's father, but don't tell my wife.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I'd like to know how many of those illegals who registered to vote are taxpayers....

Senior Member Junior Division
    didn't we already go through the whole 3 million illegals voted for clinton thing?

didn't they form a whole commission to investigate the ridiculous claim and there was literally no evidence of it?

If only there was a piece of ID, or something, that could be used to verify identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    If only there was a piece of ID, or something, that could be used to verify identity.
    Another fake solution to a fake problem with, at best, anecdotal evidence that does not, in the slightest, support the claim of widespread fraud.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator BSBH Prospect

General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Another fake solution to a fake problem with, at best, anecdotal evidence that does not, in the slightest, support the claim of widespread fraud.
    Fake problem is debatable
    But the solution would be real.

This is a question of rights granted per the constitution....not a debate of fixing a problem