Page 517 of 521 FirstFirst ... 17417467507515516517518519 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,340 of 10404

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, it's a pretty brutal loss IMO. He was always going to fold, though.

feisty but tanking Midget Division
    Anyone who think that government is going to run smoothly should compare the headlines on

https://www.foxnews.com/politics
    https://www.cnn.com/
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world/us_and_canada
    etc

I would expect 2019 to continue to have mind-boggling events.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Coulter is going to thrash him tonight on Real Time. Thankfully, for him, it's highly unlikely he watches HBO. He'll also have Stone to watch on Tucker Carlson instead.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Coulter is going to thrash him tonight on Real Time. Thankfully, for him, it's highly unlikely he watches HBO. He'll also have Stone to watch on Tucker Carlson instead.
    Cant wait to watch Bill Maher

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Cant wait to watch Bill Maher
    It should be fiery. Especially with Dan Savage on the same panel.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Mite Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    He had to. There was never anywhere to go. (See the current New Yorker cover.) The most remarkable thing is that there are about 1.5 million people - first and foremost Newt Gingrich - who could have told him that whoever forces a government shutdown loses the politics. He may be a breath of fresh air in DC to the diehards, but a little actual experience and a smidge of attention to history would have told him that the whole thing was a stupid-assed, ill-fated, kamikaze undertaking that was never going to work for him. And if anybody thinks this is the end of Nancy Pelosi owning him, it's only the beginning. She's going to have him serving her champagne in a French maid's costume before the 4th of July. Can't wait to see Ann Coulter - who also knows less than nothing about how the actual government works - rail on the betrayal of Trump. She and Rush grabbed the wheel and forced his bus into this ditch. If they get off free of accountability, it will be a superb comment on the state of the Right.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    So it shuts down again after 3 weeks if no deal is in place? That seems like a good compromise to negotiate in good faith, but yeah I can see the media taking this as an opportunity to beat the hell out of Trump...pretty sure he is used to that though lol.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Trump making Pelosi look good so they wheel her out there as the challenger.

I liked the deal the one dem proposed, 5.6, some towards wall, some towards other border protections measures.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    So it shuts down again after 3 weeks if no deal is in place? That seems like a good compromise to negotiate in good faith, but yeah I can see the media taking this as an opportunity to beat the hell out of Trump...pretty sure he is used to that though lol.
    I would bet money he doesn't go back to another shutdown. This one didn't go so well. As for bad press, he doesn't mind when the media says he is evil. He can't abide it when they say he is weak - which is where we're at this evening.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    I would bet money he doesn't go back to another shutdown. This one didn't go so well. As for bad press, he doesn't mind when the media says he is evil. He can't abide it when they say he is weak - which is where we're at this evening.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    Not sure I buy that. He has already shown the willingness to have a shutdown. The democrats claimed to be willing to negotiate if the government was re-opened. Now it is re-opened and the onus is on them to negotiate now. If they do not, I would not be surprised in the least if Trump lets it shut down again. Tony Schwartz tweeted the other day that Trump would re-open the government simply so he could make the State of the Union. Only out of his own vanity (https://twitter.com/tonyschwartz/sta...716296192?s=09).

Looking like a pretty good prediction.

Republican Senators helped this dam break yesterday. With a much less cushy 2020 map, they won't let him or Mitch do this again. The Schwartz tweet says8 nothing about going back to shutdown mode. Why would he? Trumps just hit the negative superfecta: a meaningful ding on his national numbers plus enraging his base for the very first time. From a strategic standpoint, the shutdown was a colossally stupid move. Maybe he didn't understand that the Speaker of the House has significant power or some other cognitive failure, but he has lost this on multiple levels. The prospect of more of Coulter's emasculation must have been excruciating, yet the amount of water his boat was taking on made him choose that route. The national emergency play may be where he goes because the Dems have little incentive to toss him a face-saver. But he'd have po to truly love political pain to rerun the shutdown. (Who needs air traffic controllers?)

Quote Originally Posted by RodrigueGabriel View Post
    Republican Senators helped this dam break yesterday. With a much less cushy 2020 map, they won't let him or Mitch do this again. The Schwartz tweet says8 nothing about going back to shutdown mode. Why would he? Trumps just hit the negative superfecta: a meaningful ding on his national numbers plus enraging his base for the very first time. From a strategic standpoint, the shutdown was a colossally stupid move. Maybe he didn't understand that the Speaker of the House has significant power or some other cognitive failure, but he has lost this on multiple levels. The prospect of more of Coulter's emasculation must have been excruciating, yet the amount of water his boat was taking on made him choose that route. The national emergency play may be where he goes because the Dems have little incentive to toss him a face-saver. But he'd have po to truly love political pain to rerun the shutdown. (Who needs air traffic controllers?)

I'm not sure Trump cares about 2020. Even if he wants to run for a 2nd term, if he doesn't like his chances then he will bow out and say he is ready to move on from the political arena. He has an easy out as far as that is concerned, and he's not going to run if it looks like a losing campaign on a re-election bid. I don't see how a re-lockout or national emergency is not seriously in play because of that.

Thinking about this decision from Trump's angle:

1) Will get to deliver the State of the Union
    2) Government workers get paid, with back pay; they will be happy for now
    3) 3 week window to negotiate or it's right back to where we were before today. Except this time the Democrats are on the hook for saying they would negotiate but not with the government shutdown. If they don't keep their word, Trump could just let the government shutdown again. And this time he may not ease up on it, since that would not be a decision to made lightly unless he plans on sticking to it. My guess is he would not resort to a national emergency, but it might depend on how uncommitted the Democrats are to cutting a deal.

I would be extremely shocked if he was just tucking his tail between his legs and giving up on the wall. He is obviously a very egotistical person, so I personally don't see him giving it up long term. It's his baby. Meanwhile, the Democrats will most likely force his hand because I don't see them stopping in their quest to keep telling him no.

Of course, if they can get Trump impeached then all this is moot...but that seems doubtful.

The media is being far too quick to call this a Trump collapse or a major loss. If it was not a temporary opening of the gov't I would have to agree, but not a 3 week opening. That doesn't really mean shit.
    Last edited by rmc51; 01-26-2019 at 03:20 AM.

If/when Pelosi allows... otherwise written or non-traditional site
    Haven't heard a lot of happiness-lots of hurt out there
    3) 3 week window to negotiate or it's right back to where we were before today.
    No one can predict where we will be 3 weeks from today.

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

I'm not sure Trump cares about 2020. Even if he wants to run for a 2nd term, if he doesn't like his chances then he will bow out and say he is ready to move on from the political arena. He has an easy out as far as that is concerned, and he's not going to run if it looks like a losing campaign on a re-election bid. I don't see how a re-lockout or national emergency is not seriously in play because of that.

Thinking about this decision from Trump's angle:

3) 3 week window to negotiate or it's right back to where we were before today. Except this time the Democrats are on the hook for saying they would negotiate but not with the government shutdown. If they don't keep their word, Trump could just let the government shutdown again. And this time he may not ease up on it, since that would not be a decision to made lightly unless he plans on sticking to it. My guess is he would not resort to a national emergency, but it might depend on how uncommitted the Democrats are to cutting a deal.

I would be extremely shocked if he was just tucking his tail between his legs and giving up on the wall. He is obviously a very egotistical person, so I personally don't see him giving it up long term. It's his baby. Meanwhile, the Democrats will most likely force his hand because I don't see them stopping in their quest to keep telling him no.

Of course, if they can get Trump impeached then all this is moot...but that seems doubtful.

The media is being far too quick to call this a Trump collapse or a major loss. If it was not a temporary opening of the gov't I would have to agree, but not a 3 week opening. That doesn't really mean shit.
    You know what else doesn't mean shit? The State of the Union. It's a one-day headline. He got more media calling the developing world "shithole countries." If that's what he was playing for he's an idiot.

In what universe does Trump not care about 2020? What makes you think that? I agree he may not make it there but it won't be of his own choosing. You think he cares about the SOTU but not the historical ignominy of being a 1-term Prez?

The Dems said they would negotiate on border security - not a wall. They will. They will offer so much money on border security it will make our collective head spin. They will focus on the issues like overstayed visas that underpin the immigration issue. No wall. And probably no shutdown either because Pelosi's offer will be competitive in any world other than Planet Trump, where symbols are way more important than actual policy.

Again, Pelosi has only begun playing Trump like an accordion. If there's another shutdown, he will bear even more responsibility than this time. And, to reiterate, anyone who has spent more than a cherry blossom weekend in DC knows that whoever forces the shutdown ultimately loses the politics. It's why Chuck Schumer was practically giggling in that oval office meeting.

I hear your take on the media, but when you have Ann Coulter and the MSM agreeing that this was a massive cave - where ya' gonna go?

Last edited by RodrigueGabriel; 01-26-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: further clarity

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Trump’s ego makes him care about 2020
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Not only does he care about 2020 but if he loses he'll say it was rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Trump’s ego makes him care about 2020
    If true he isn't going to give up the wall. That would be 2020 suicide.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    If true he isn't going to give up the wall. That would be 2020 suicide.
    Why do you think he shutdown the government for so long? His entire re-election campaign is going to be based on “the wall”, if he was to get it done. Even if he gets it partially, he’ll make it seem like he came through on his 2016 promise.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

There already are many walls on the southern border, or northern border, depending on what country you live in. 'the wall' suggests there will be physical structure from sea to shining sea, which would cost much more than 5 billion. classic marketing-promise more than you can deliver, then get the customer to pay for upgrades (version 2,3,4,5, etc). sound bites and catch phrases are useful (obviously)... but eventually you have to deliver. otherwise, loss of credibility and face. Japanese samurai historically performed seppuku to die with honor. In India and other locations, self-immolation. Americans seem to lack similar commitments to honor, integrity, and protest.