Page 491 of 493 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493 LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,820 of 9849

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Of course. LOL One hand on the remote, the other...
    The “bend and snap”. Works every time
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Banned Midget Division
    when did 'life' become a republican agenda? same republicans who wage wars and send our men and women overseas to die? Shouldn't 'pro-life' stance be a liberal issue? Shouldn't it be the issue both religion and liberalism agree on, life? I always found it interesting that both conservatives and liberals contradict their core beliefs with this issue.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    when did 'life' become a republican agenda? same republicans who wage wars and send our men and women overseas to die? Shouldn't 'pro-life' stance be a liberal issue? Shouldn't it be the issue both religion and liberalism agree on, life? I always found it interesting that both conservatives and liberals contradict their core beliefs with this issue.
    In the 80’s the republicans opted to make a grab for the religious voting block. Before then the platform wasn’t even sure where it stood on abortion.
    It actually contradicted their previous conservative stance in regards to individual freedoms, less government control, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I stood in line for one hour to buy legal weed last week. That was after the lines had dropped from 3-4 hours to 1, to get in the store.

I only bought a gram because I'm old, but I must say I'm very impressed with the way Alberta rolled this out. The private shop was very posh, very classy.

I don't see how this isn't a smashing success for private retailers and their government overlords.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    Neither side has core beliefs. They express a belief in whatever they think will get them the most votes. It's not as if Repubs who vote pro-life actually care about that, it's just where their voters lean, whereas its not like Dems give a shit about social equality, but that's where they can get votes.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    The right cares more about pre-birth than post birth.

I care about personal responsibility.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I care about personal responsibility.
    If you're not paying for the abortion, it's not your concern.

And because the science isn't settled on "when life begins", then you don't have the right to tell a woman she can't have an abortion.

If you think abortion is murder, don't get one.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Can’t pay taxes if you’re not around
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you're not paying for the abortion, it's not your concern.

And because the science isn't settled on "when life begins", then you don't have the right to tell a woman she can't have an abortion.

If you think abortion is murder, don't get one.
    OK, but why should I pay for it?

* In my single payer system

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    OK, but why should I pay for it?

* In my single payer system
    You're not. Pretend your money goes elsewhere instead of pretending your $0.00000001 goes to that.

And let's be honest.... I don't think you care as much about the "life" as you do about the "issue"... Because what happens when the "life" you're saving becomes incapable of supporting itself? You won't want to support it.

I just can't reconcile how the party of "I don't want government telling me how to live" is so quick to tell others how they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You're not. Pretend your money goes elsewhere instead of pretending your $0.00000001 goes to that.

And let's be honest.... I don't think you care as much about the "life" as you do about the "issue"... Because what happens when the "life" you're saving becomes incapable of supporting itself? You won't want to support it.

I just can't reconcile how the party of "I don't want government telling me how to live" is so quick to tell others how they should.
    That's a fair point taken at face value, but all those .00001%'s add up to a point where I give half my income away in taxes and levies, but I digress.

I definitely aligned with what you're saying only a few years ago, but through some events in my personal life (miscarriages that my wife went through and now councils others on, and a daughter that has brought me joy beyond anything I thought possible who would have been thrown in the trash at birth only a couple decades ago due to complications from premature birth, she was in NICU for 2 months) these events had a profound affect on me.

Now, as a stone cold pragmatist and former Trotskyite I think I understand the other side of the argument pretty good and it smells to me like low grade eugenics when you look at the demographic aspect of it all.

Middle ground isn't even hard for me to find on the issue. Pick a reasonable cut-off date (There isn't one in Canada, it's essentially full term) and don't make me pay for it. I don't think that's really unreasonable.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    That's a fair point taken at face value, but all those .00001%'s add up to a point where I give half my income away in taxes and levies, but I digress.

I definitely aligned with what you're saying only a few years ago, but through some events in my personal life (miscarriages that my wife went through and now councils others on, and a daughter that has brought me joy beyond anything I thought possible who would have been thrown in the trash at birth only a couple decades ago due to complications from premature birth, she was in NICU for 2 months) these events had a profound affect on me.

Now, as a stone cold pragmatist and former Trotskyite I think I understand the other side of the argument pretty good and it smells to me like low grade eugenics when you look at the demographic aspect of it all.

Middle ground isn't even hard for me to find on the issue. Pick a reasonable cut-off date (There isn't one in Canada, it's essentially full term) and don't make me pay for it. I don't think that's really unreasonable.
    I hear you.

That said, we can't govern and create laws based on certain personal experiences. That's exactly the point...your personal experience can't dictate how millions of other people live their lives.

I'm not saying I'd support an abortion if I were involved. I'm saying I don't have the right to tell someone else they can't since it literally has zero effect on my life.

Hey Phil, looks like Bannon thumped David Frum tonight in a Munk Debate. I didn't watch, saving it for work tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/spaikin/status/1...979133440?s=19

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Why did Frum debate him in the first place?

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Actually, it seems like fake news. I guess they posted the wrong score. People freaking out that Bannon was booed and hissed at from crowd so much and the crowd was so partisan that it would be impossible to flip score like that.

Hasn't stopped Frum from getting panned, though.

I'm still confused why he debated him in the first place.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

What are the Cuomo polls showing? Thought I heard one was 49% - 35%. If it gets closer, I might actually vote.

OK, now that is fucking funny!

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens