Page 395 of 456 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445 ... LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,900 of 9103

Thread: General Political Thread: News, Slander & Debate

  1. #7881
    In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,651
    Rep Power
    122
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/us...pgtype=article

    LYNCHBURG, Va. — Senator Ted Cruz of Texas announced on Monday morning that he would run for president in 2016, becoming the first Republican candidate to declare himself officially in the race.

    Linking the determination of his immigrant father with the resolve of the founding fathers and his own faith in “the promise of America,” Mr. Cruz spoke at length about his family and his faith as he laid out a case for his candidacy.
    A biracial, son of a first generation immigrant, first term senator with almost no national level political experience, but a robust legal career, with a questionable citizenship status, who's channeling his father and his faith for the promise of America just announced his candidacy for President.

    Have at it, right wing media.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  2. #7882
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,599
    Rep Power
    114
    Watched him on Hannity yesterday (don't ask, sometimes Fox News is like watching a car wreck).

    They did over view of his announcement to run speech.
    With the background music, lighting, camera angles....I thought for sure Jesus Christ himself had declared for Republican nomination.

  3. #7883
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,505
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/us...pgtype=article



    A biracial, son of a first generation immigrant, first term senator with almost no national level political experience, but a robust legal career, with a questionable citizenship status, who's channeling his father and his faith for the promise of America just announced his candidacy for President.

    Have at it, right wing media.
    It's a smart move. No chance of winning, small chance of bringing over some minority votes, big chance of allowing them to say, "unlike the Democratic party, which is trying to anoint Hillary Queen of American, we have both choice and diversity in the Republican party".
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  4. #7884
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,798
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    It's a smart move. No chance of winning, small chance of bringing over some minority votes, big chance of allowing them to say, "unlike the Democratic party, which is trying to anoint Hillary Queen of American, we have both choice and diversity in the Republican party".
    I'll take things rarely seen for 600 Alex


    I think we will see more candidates instead of Hilary spring up, it's just that nobody wants to officially announce before her and lose any media attention the minute she announces (not that its a secret at this point)

    Republicans have had an issue with crowding the field too early. They've also had an issue with candidates, be it a Bachman or a Cruz making running as a moderate impossible. Their whole party has been pulled too far to the right so to win a primary, you have to be slightly less right-wing than insanely right-wing. This kills the candidate.
    Last edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything; 03-25-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    __________________________________

  5. #7885
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,505
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    I'll take things rarely seen for 600 Alex


    I think we will see more candidates instead of Hilary spring up, it's just that nobody wants to officially announce before her and lose any media attention the minute she announces (not that its a secret at this point)

    Republicans have had an issue with crowding the field too early. They've also had an issue with candidates, be it a Bachman or a Cruz making running as a moderate impossible. Their whole party has been pulled too far to the right so to win a primary, you have to be slightly less right-wing than insanely right-wing. This kills the candidate.
    Eh, I think that's just judging things since Obama came up, whom was a shoe in to win and be re-elected (assuming he didn't start WWIII). The Republicans don't want the White House in a recession. It harshes their mellow. Now that the economy is mostly fixed (well, you know what I mean, the DOW is up and Unemployment is down), they'll look to run some more serious campaigns than McCain/Palin and Romney/Ryan. Those were really just clown tickets. Put on a good show, keep the base on ice and now, if they think they've got a legitimate shot in an up economy, they'll run a more centrist tandem with a message of "far right crazy won't get the job done".
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  6. #7886
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,362
    Rep Power
    352
    I agree McCain/Palin was a clown ticket, but you think Romney/Ryan wasn't a legit campaign?

  7. #7887
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,505
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    I agree McCain/Palin was a clown ticket, but you think Romney/Ryan wasn't a legit campaign?
    Romney had a tape leak calling half the American people welfare hags in front of a $50k a plate crowd. And Ryan came across like Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading.

    Obama, imo, mailed in the first debate in order to give the appearance of jeopardy because of the very real concern that if winning seemed like the cake walk it was becoming, some of the more passive Democrat base might not bother voting.

    I mean Obama won 51 to 47. That's a huge margin.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  8. #7888
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,798
    Rep Power
    61
    considering the energy the republican party has put into trashing Obama, I highly doubt they weren't trying to win. They took out an unpopular Jimmy Carter after 1 term and turned that into 12 years of Republican presidency.

    By 2012, it was clear we weren't in nearly as bad of shape as we were in 2008. It was getting much better and it would've been the perfect time (in their minds) for them to take over.
    __________________________________

  9. #7889
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,505
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    considering the energy the republican party has put into trashing Obama, I highly doubt they weren't trying to win. They took out an unpopular Jimmy Carter after 1 term and turned that into 12 years of Republican presidency.

    By 2012, it was clear we weren't in nearly as bad of shape as we were in 2008. It was getting much better and it would've been the perfect time (in their minds) for them to take over.
    Republicans will never have a problem finding reasons to batter a Democratic president. I think they realized they likely couldn't win the White House and even if they could, the timing wasn't quite right economically and politically. Forget trending in the right direction, they want it as close to it's peak as possible. In the meantime, what did they do? After taking back the House the year prior to the election, they have now taken back the Senate as well. Now is the optimal time to get a Republican President for the next 8 to 12 years if they can.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  10. #7890
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    19,057
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Republicans will never have a problem finding reasons to batter a Democratic president. I think they realized they likely couldn't win the White House and even if they could, the timing wasn't quite right economically and politically. Forget trending in the right direction, they want it as close to it's peak as possible. In the meantime, what did they do? After taking back the House the year prior to the election, they have now taken back the Senate as well. Now is the optimal time to get a Republican President for the next 8 to 12 years if they can.
    So they can wage a war against a major country in the Middle East and wreck the economy because of the price tag and then let a Democrat take over who they'll blame for the state of things and taking too long to find a way to recovery.

    I've seen this before...

    Speaking of war! It's amazing how Iran has been two years away from a nuclear bomb for several decades now. Longest two years ever. I am very, very cautious of dealing with Iranian leadership, but the complete lack of interest from Netanyahu and the GOP in any kind of deal at all - including one that leads to more Western control and Iran giving up a main nuclear core - is just bizarre. As a fellow board member here tweeted, we live in a day and age were being "anti-war" is considered an insult in conservative circles. Think about that for a second.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  11. #7891
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    9,904
    Rep Power
    83
    Bernie Sanders running for President

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/30/us...dent.html?_r=0

    Senator Bernie Sanders, an independent from Vermont, announced Thursday that he was running for president as a Democrat

  12. #7892
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    19,057
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Bernie Sanders running for President

    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/30/us...dent.html?_r=0
    I can totally get behind Bernie Sanders. He's a free-thinking progressive candidate, who has proven himself running as independent, but will shake up exactly those things I dislike about the Democrats.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  13. #7893
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,599
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I can totally get behind Bernie Sanders. He's a free-thinking progressive candidate, who has proven himself running as independent, but will shake up exactly those things I dislike about the Democrats.
    I highly respect Sanders, and like the way he's presented some ideas on the past.
    Especially his work with McCain.

    But, in regards to being a world leader, and setting direction for this country....I don't think he's the one.
    Problem is that I have yet to see the "one".....hopefully it happens soon.

    Anyways, he keeps trying to make our future to be that of a Scandinavian country and IMO that would never work.

  14. #7894
    Growing Member Bantam Division
    McDougalfaschnitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,320
    Rep Power
    22
    I will be heavily pushing for Sanders. He is the only guy laying down truth instead of dancing around issues, and the only candidate that is currently acting on his goals instead of relegating them to campaign promises that will be forgotten once in office.

    Will there ever be a perfect candidate? Doubtful, but with the current state of politics I think he is as close as you're gonna get. He isn't a flip flopper, he doesn't lower himself to mud-slinging political drama, and most importantly (to me) he isn't bought and paid for by banks and wealthy interests.

    I've never been a very political person, and have been mostly cynical and disconnected with politics (with good reason) for a good amount of my life, but I kind of see this election as the crossroads of America when it comes to income inequality and corporate ruling of the country. All candidates aside from Sanders are too tied into the system of bought-and-paid-for-politics (big reason why I have never been supportive of Hillary), and at best, no progress or change will come from any of them while at worst shit could get pretty dire. At the same time, it's not like all of the issues will suddenly disappear if Sanders is somehow elected. However, I feel like there would actually be a chance of improvement and possibly setting up the paving of a balanced foundation, which is a lot to me when it comes to the state of the nation.

  15. #7895
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,243
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I can totally get behind Bernie Sanders. He's a free-thinking progressive candidate, who has proven himself running as independent, but will shake up exactly those things I dislike about the Democrats.
    Its pointless to even care at this point, because an independent will never win, but I agree.

    He is the least repulsive of the candidates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    I highly respect Sanders, and like the way he's presented some ideas on the past.
    Especially his work with McCain.

    But, in regards to being a world leader, and setting direction for this country....I don't think he's the one.
    Problem is that I have yet to see the "one".....hopefully it happens soon.

    Anyways, he keeps trying to make our future to be that of a Scandinavian country and IMO that would never work.

    I agree in part because I dont think the US, with its population size and general world standing is capable of being like a Scandinavian country. But I think there are certain aspects of their government/lifestyle that would greatly benefit this country. Particularly in areas like education.

  16. #7896
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,599
    Rep Power
    114
    I agree about the education part.
    But it's not due to a lack of money or resources being spent.
    We outspend all other developed countries in money spent per pupil, (although we have high variances between different areas within our country).

  17. #7897
    The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    High and Wide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    6,247
    Rep Power
    90
    What I would like to see out of this election's candidate field, is that both parties are torn apart. I'd love to see the Christian right tear at the RINOs, the Libertarians tear at the Christian right, and the moderate democrats get destroyed by people like Warren and Sanders. I really think that this year's field has the potential to do this. People are disenfranchised. Incredibly so. And candidates like Sanders and Paul will be able to rally a significant amount of support across the board.

    We are coming off eight years of a president who couldn't work with either party, a congress that just wouldn't work, and a Supreme court that has disregarded any semblance of government by and for the people. If the conditions for a real shake-up aren't evident now, then I don't know what more could be done.

    Personally, I've been a supporter of Bernie Sanders for several years. The guy really doesn't seem to care what others think. He aligns with the liberal wing of the Democratic party, but refuses to be called one. He and Warren are true populists in a time where the field is littered with people claiming to be. If you look at their voting records, they have consistently voted for measures benefitting the little guy, and against legislation making it easier for big business to take advantage of the American worker. I doubt Warren will run. She seems to really enjoy fighting people in congress. There is very little I disagree with when it comes to Sanders, however. It is refreshing to finally have a candidate I align with so well.
    Hidden Content

    Did everything just taste purple for a second?

  18. #7898
    Growing Member Bantam Division
    McDougalfaschnitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,320
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by High and Wide View Post
    I really think that this year's field has the potential to do this. People are disenfranchised. Incredibly so. And candidates like Sanders and Paul will be able to rally a significant amount of support across the board.
    That is why I feel like I (and people who are also in the "no point in voting we're screwed anyway" crowd) need to really push for it this time around. I rather have Warren stay put for now because it would be nice to have similar trains of thought in different branches of government.

  19. #7899
    Boom BSBH Prospect
    NYRangers92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19,357
    Rep Power
    77
    Phil, on a scale of 1 to "this is borderline offensive to my profession" how do you feel about Jeb Bush's campaign logo


  20. #7900
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,362
    Rep Power
    352
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/m...match-ups.html

    Finally another declared independent candidate, Deez Nuts, polls at 9% in North Carolina to go along with his 8% in Minnesota and 7% in Iowa in our recent polling.
    Deez Nuts 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •