• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Walking Dead

Phil

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the better question would be, assuming the focus was much more heavily slanted to their fight against the walkers, how would this show last more than a season before boring everyone to death? It'd just be your standard Land of the Dead/Dawn of the Dead-type movie, except stretched out over N number of episodes. You can't franchise that into a cult series. People would stop caring almost immediately after the first season ended.

I actually think that the show has finally found the perfect scenario to maintain interest over a long period of time. This is, for me, far and away the most interesting concept they've broached. Warring factions where both sides are mercillessly killing the other while claiming moral grounds to do so is awesome. Is Rick the good guy? Really? Is Negan the bad guy? Really?

My favorite episodes don't involve Negan, Gov , scavengers etc. it's always Rick on the road, or the barn from season 2, when they were trying to get the prison, clear. I feel like the writers did more with less to work with.

We already saw this arc with the gov. Same exact shit.

I guess the better question would be, assuming the focus was much more heavily slanted to their fight against the walkers, how would this show last more than a season before boring everyone to death? It'd just be your standard Land of the Dead/Dawn of the Dead-type movie, except stretched out over N number of episodes. You can't franchise that into a cult series. People would stop caring almost immediately after the first season ended.

I actually think that the show has finally found the perfect scenario to maintain interest over a long period of time. This is, for me, far and away the most interesting concept they've broached. Warring factions where both sides are mercillessly killing the other while claiming moral grounds to do so is awesome. Is Rick the good guy? Really? Is Negan the bad guy? Really?

What I like about the walkers is that everyone who has survived so far has basically found a way to live with them. They are no longer the primary concern. In a lot of ways, they've been conquered. Even turned into tools of both offense and defense.

That said, I think this season so far has been weaker. I feel like each episode is more and more set up, then they throw in the big reveal towards the end. Gabriele is trapped in the trailer with Negan. Morales captures Rick. The king's men get gunned down. Shiva is killed. The pacing is the same for each episode and it's completely generic.

Well that's their methodology. It's been true of the series as a whole. While I share some of the same issues over just how effective that formula is, I try to focus on the bigger picture, and bigger picture-wise I feel like they've evolved well. The use of walkers as tactical elements alone is evidence of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well that's their methodology. It's been true of the series as a whole. While I share some of the same issues over just how effective that formula is, I try to focus on the bigger picture, and bigger picture-wise I feel like they've evolved well. The use of walkers as tactical elements alone is evidence of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I feel like I've always been really excited for the next episode and the number of ones where I've been left feeling empty at the end have been few and far between. Maybe a small handful of set up episodes did that the past 4 or 5 seasons. This year, the opener was decent, but then it's kind of just been a low hum. Maybe it's because of the amount of time spent knocking Ezekiel off his throne. And maybe that's necessary in the consolidation of Rick's group's power (say Carol takes over the Kingdom). It has still made this season less compelling so far.

• 2 weeks later...
There was talk of them going as far as ten seasons a while back. Not sure if that's changed or not. I know that Robert Kirkman did mention that his original idea to end the show was scrapped for another, so I don't know what that did to the timeline.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...