• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

http://www.sho.com/site/order/preview.do?source=acq_shocom_order_preview#/Homeland_s01_e01

Just saw the commercial and it looks very good. The guy who played Winters in Band of Brothers plays a Marine Sgt. in this who was a PoW for 8 years and is believed to be dead, but is found and welcomed back to the states as a hero. A CIA agent believes he's been turned however, and will commit an act of terrorism at some point.

About to watch the first episode either tonight or sometime tomorrow, hoping it will be good. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did anyone catch it after dexter?

i thought it was a very well done first episode.

for anyone who is not aware of it, it stars claire danes, mandy patinkin, and damien lewis (Dick winters from band of brothers).

the premise is claire danes is a CIA agent who is told that an american POW has been turned by Al-Qaeda. Damien Lewis the POW retuned home and Mandy Patinkin is her superior. it's a little manchurian candidate-ish with a twist.

if you have showtime or can watch it online i recommend it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Love this show and can't wait for the second season to start. As a Marine myself, I did find a few inconsistencies that are a bit odd. But other than that its a great show.

Happens always when you are dealing with shows that are based on military heirarchy, intelligence, etc.

Suspension of disbelief is an absolute requirement for anything like this. After all, it is being produced by Howard Gordon (24, The X-Files).

Happens always when you are dealing with shows that are based on military heirarchy, intelligence, etc.

Suspension of disbelief is an absolute requirement for anything like this. After all, it is being produced by Howard Gordon (24, The X-Files).

Yea I came to that realization a long time ago haha. Military, police, firefighters, etc. based shows are all a bit skewed from reality. They obviously make these shows based on the fact that 90% of America isn't on the inside, or in the know of how this stuff really works so they can do pretty much anything within reason. Being part of that smaller % that does know really makes you shake your head sometimes though haha.

Homeland isn't that far off though, as I said its just two small details that I remember catching. One, if Sgt. Brodey Re-enlisted into the Marine Corps, why is he always at home and not working??? Two(and this one REALLY bugs me because its a stupid mistake that should have been caught with any kind of Military liaison on set), he has Gunnery Sergeant chevrons on his Service Alpha uniform(the green "suit" looking uniform) and has Sergeant chevrons on his Dress Blues. Its been a while since I watched the show, but I think I remember them mentioning him getting a Promotion upon coming home. I remember his kid saying something about hoping he becomes a Captain like his friend Mike. If he was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant no one would call him Sergeant anymore, the Marine Corps is not the Army. You DO NOT call any Marine above the rank of Sergeant a Sergeant or Sarge, or anything of the like. Like I said, small details but easily corrected with a little input. This isn't stuff that requires reality to be suspended so to say.

Yea I came to that realization a long time ago haha. Military, police, firefighters, etc. based shows are all a bit skewed from reality. They obviously make these shows based on the fact that 90% of America isn't on the inside, or in the know of how this stuff really works so they can do pretty much anything within reason. Being part of that smaller % that does know really makes you shake your head sometimes though haha.

Homeland isn't that far off though, as I said its just two small details that I remember catching. One, if Sgt. Brodey Re-enlisted into the Marine Corps, why is he always at home and not working??? Two(and this one REALLY bugs me because its a stupid mistake that should have been caught with any kind of Military liaison on set), he has Gunnery Sergeant chevrons on his Service Alpha uniform(the green "suit" looking uniform) and has Sergeant chevrons on his Dress Blues. Its been a while since I watched the show, but I think I remember them mentioning him getting a Promotion upon coming home. I remember his kid saying something about hoping he becomes a Captain like his friend Mike. If he was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant no one would call him Sergeant anymore, the Marine Corps is not the Army. You DO NOT call any Marine above the rank of Sergeant a Sergeant or Sarge, or anything of the like. Like I said, small details but easily corrected with a little input. This isn't stuff that requires reality to be suspended so to say.

True, but it also falls under that 90% (I'd say it's probably even higher a number, in fact) rule, no?

True, but it also falls under that 90% (I'd say it's probably even higher a number, in fact) rule, no?

You're probably right, it is a higher number. But its just such a dumb thing to get wrong. It wasn't even a "costume" mistake made in one episode, I remember seeing it in several episodes. Just rip off the damn Sergeant chevrons and sew on the appropriate Gunny chevrons. Have the writers swap Sergeant Brody, Sarge, Sergeant, with Gunnery Sergeant, Gunny receptively in the script. Is that too much of a task?? I know I know, I'm not thinking like the majority, I'm thinking like the minority. But its still not a hard fix! haha

I bet they would if you actually said something. As dumb as it sounds, it might be something they just didn't pick up on, that they'd fix if they realized the mistake they made.

You can probably email them, or contact them via Facebook or something just to say it.

I bet they would if you actually said something. As dumb as it sounds, it might be something they just didn't pick up on, that they'd fix if they realized the mistake they made.

You can probably email them, or contact them via Facebook or something just to say it.

You think so? I'll give that a shot. I'll tell you what though, if there is in fact some kind of Military Liaison on set they sure as shit better find someone new because he/she is doing a shitty job on the small simple details.

Archived