Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect

Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

http://www.sho.com/site/order/previe...meland_s01_e01

Just saw the commercial and it looks very good. The guy who played Winters in Band of Brothers plays a Marine Sgt. in this who was a PoW for 8 years and is believed to be dead, but is found and welcomed back to the states as a hero. A CIA agent believes he's been turned however, and will commit an act of terrorism at some point.

About to watch the first episode either tonight or sometime tomorrow, hoping it will be good.

Senior Member Bantam Division 4_4's Avatar

HOM3LAND

did anyone catch it after dexter?

i thought it was a very well done first episode.

for anyone who is not aware of it, it stars claire danes, mandy patinkin, and damien lewis (Dick winters from band of brothers).

the premise is claire danes is a CIA agent who is told that an american POW has been turned by Al-Qaeda. Damien Lewis the POW retuned home and Mandy Patinkin is her superior. it's a little manchurian candidate-ish with a twist.

if you have showtime or can watch it online i recommend it.

my thread title was better

Happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Happy?
    yes!

what did you think of it?

I only saw the first free ep, but I thought it had a lot of potential. Don't have Showtime unfortunately, but if I hear good things I'll get season 1 on DVD when it's released and check it out.

second episode was great too. i can't believe nobody else is watching this. it's a pretty cool premise.

i gotta bump this because i can't believe nobody is watching it. this show fucking rules.
    this weeks' episode was like major league 12-6 curveball. and it's on right after dexter. just keep the channel on.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    shows pretty good. my gf watched dexter and we usually catch this after

Mia San Mia BSBH Prospect
    I just realized we have Showtime On Demand.. watched the first episode of this and it was pretty interesting.. Will probably watch another one or two episodes tonight. Hopefully they are good!

Mia San Mia BSBH Prospect
    I finished the 1st season this afternoon. I definitely recommend this show it's very good.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Finally getting around to watching this. Three episodes deep so far. Great story-telling, and tremendous acting/cast.

Season two starts in a week or two so I'm hoping to be up to speed before it starts.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Love this show and can't wait for the second season to start. As a Marine myself, I did find a few inconsistencies that are a bit odd. But other than that its a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Love this show and can't wait for the second season to start. As a Marine myself, I did find a few inconsistencies that are a bit odd. But other than that its a great show.
    Happens always when you are dealing with shows that are based on military heirarchy, intelligence, etc.

Suspension of disbelief is an absolute requirement for anything like this. After all, it is being produced by Howard Gordon (24, The X-Files).
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Happens always when you are dealing with shows that are based on military heirarchy, intelligence, etc.

Suspension of disbelief is an absolute requirement for anything like this. After all, it is being produced by Howard Gordon (24, The X-Files).
    Yea I came to that realization a long time ago haha. Military, police, firefighters, etc. based shows are all a bit skewed from reality. They obviously make these shows based on the fact that 90% of America isn't on the inside, or in the know of how this stuff really works so they can do pretty much anything within reason. Being part of that smaller % that does know really makes you shake your head sometimes though haha.

Homeland isn't that far off though, as I said its just two small details that I remember catching. One, if Sgt. Brodey Re-enlisted into the Marine Corps, why is he always at home and not working??? Two(and this one REALLY bugs me because its a stupid mistake that should have been caught with any kind of Military liaison on set), he has Gunnery Sergeant chevrons on his Service Alpha uniform(the green "suit" looking uniform) and has Sergeant chevrons on his Dress Blues. Its been a while since I watched the show, but I think I remember them mentioning him getting a Promotion upon coming home. I remember his kid saying something about hoping he becomes a Captain like his friend Mike. If he was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant no one would call him Sergeant anymore, the Marine Corps is not the Army. You DO NOT call any Marine above the rank of Sergeant a Sergeant or Sarge, or anything of the like. Like I said, small details but easily corrected with a little input. This isn't stuff that requires reality to be suspended so to say.

I'm not gonna read that second paragraph just yet, since I haven't actually finished the show yet. Four episodes into the 12 in season 1, so I'll have to come back to it soon!
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    I really enjoyed this show, even though it was a little bit absurd at times.

Sorry I didn't mean to ruin anything for anyone. For what it's worth, there isn't anything that I wrote that will spoil or give anything away.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Yea I came to that realization a long time ago haha. Military, police, firefighters, etc. based shows are all a bit skewed from reality. They obviously make these shows based on the fact that 90% of America isn't on the inside, or in the know of how this stuff really works so they can do pretty much anything within reason. Being part of that smaller % that does know really makes you shake your head sometimes though haha.

Homeland isn't that far off though, as I said its just two small details that I remember catching. One, if Sgt. Brodey Re-enlisted into the Marine Corps, why is he always at home and not working??? Two(and this one REALLY bugs me because its a stupid mistake that should have been caught with any kind of Military liaison on set), he has Gunnery Sergeant chevrons on his Service Alpha uniform(the green "suit" looking uniform) and has Sergeant chevrons on his Dress Blues. Its been a while since I watched the show, but I think I remember them mentioning him getting a Promotion upon coming home. I remember his kid saying something about hoping he becomes a Captain like his friend Mike. If he was promoted to Gunnery Sergeant no one would call him Sergeant anymore, the Marine Corps is not the Army. You DO NOT call any Marine above the rank of Sergeant a Sergeant or Sarge, or anything of the like. Like I said, small details but easily corrected with a little input. This isn't stuff that requires reality to be suspended so to say.
    True, but it also falls under that 90% (I'd say it's probably even higher a number, in fact) rule, no?
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    True, but it also falls under that 90% (I'd say it's probably even higher a number, in fact) rule, no?
    You're probably right, it is a higher number. But its just such a dumb thing to get wrong. It wasn't even a "costume" mistake made in one episode, I remember seeing it in several episodes. Just rip off the damn Sergeant chevrons and sew on the appropriate Gunny chevrons. Have the writers swap Sergeant Brody, Sarge, Sergeant, with Gunnery Sergeant, Gunny receptively in the script. Is that too much of a task?? I know I know, I'm not thinking like the majority, I'm thinking like the minority. But its still not a hard fix! haha

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast