Page 692 of 693 FirstFirst ... 192592642682690691692693 LastLast
Results 13,821 to 13,840 of 13855

Thread: The Flying Puck

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    They absolutely should be. If you can work from home, you should. It's a win for employees and employers.

I don't have kids so I'm sure things get way more complicated when kids are in the house. But as someone who has been working from home for 4 years, I am way more productive at home than in the office.

(As I post on BSBH while working)
    not always. some employers prefer their employees working from office. communication among the staff is very important. you don't get that when working from home

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    not always. some employers prefer their employees working from office. communication among the staff is very important. you don't get that when working from home
    Between:

Email
    Slack
    Project management systems aka Asana, Jira, Monday
    Phone calls
    Texts
    Video calls

I think we've over-indexed on communication channels.

But no one will really know the full scale impacts of 100 WFH models for a year or so. There are already studies that sat meeting culture is more intense and Zoom calls more stressful than regular meetings.

Banned Junior Division
    Not the same. Talking from personal experience. I prefer my staff to be in the office. Emails, texts, etc are impersonal. I like talking to employees face to face

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Better for the environment as well. So many less people commuting.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Carbon emissions, I read, are down like 17% since this started.

And just like that, my company just sent out a survey to all employees gauging their reactions to a slew of new WFH/WFA policies including indefinite options. It's happening.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Not the same. Talking from personal experience. I prefer my staff to be in the office. Emails, texts, etc are impersonal. I like talking to employees face to face
    Personal interaction is important. What you said is "communication among the staff is very important. you don't get that when working from home".

I was just pointing out that you certainly get enough communication between remote employees. Maybe too much.

I have 2 directs on the west coast, my "boss" is in SF and my executive creative director is in Austin. We have a ton of remote workers. I talk to my boss once a week, my ECD every day, the directs on the west coast I forget are even there because they're really good and work with very little guidance.

I prefer my team in NY and usually tap them for critical work because it's easier to explain what I need to someone looking over my shoulder and easier for them to have me look over theirs to see if they've done it the right way.

The WFH thing will flare up for a year and then will revert back to a new normal...something like a Mon / Wed shift of people who go in, offices get cleaned overnight and then a Tues / Thurs group of people go in. Everyone WFH Friday.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    That makes sense to a degree, but not from a real estate utilization standpoint.

I've written off working from home in a true sense for at least the next 7-8 years. It's too much chaos with kids, I usually leave and go sit at Timmies, so what's the point. I like going to an office.
    Last edited by Dunny; 05-20-2020 at 08:31 AM.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    That makes sense to a degree, but not from a real estate utilization standpoint.

I've written off working from home in a true sense for at least the next 7-8 years. It's too much chaos with kids, I usually leave and go sit at Timmies, so what's the point. I like going to an office.
    It does if you can cut your footprint in half.

HNIC BSBH Legend

It does if you can cut your footprint in half.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Personal interaction is important. What you said is "communication among the staff is very important. you don't get that when working from home".

I was just pointing out that you certainly get enough communication between remote employees. Maybe too much.

I have 2 directs on the west coast, my "boss" is in SF and my executive creative director is in Austin. We have a ton of remote workers. I talk to my boss once a week, my ECD every day, the directs on the west coast I forget are even there because they're really good and work with very little guidance.

I prefer my team in NY and usually tap them for critical work because it's easier to explain what I need to someone looking over my shoulder and easier for them to have me look over theirs to see if they've done it the right way.

The WFH thing will flare up for a year and then will revert back to a new normal...something like a Mon / Wed shift of people who go in, offices get cleaned overnight and then a Tues / Thurs group of people go in. Everyone WFH Friday.
    I guess I depends on the industry. I also tend to think that people who work from home dont do as much, compared when in the office. I think more would be accomplished in the office. And faster.

Oh and less traffic is I drive to work.

Banned Junior Division

I’d never get as much done aat home. I like my office, everything i need is there right under my nose.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I guess I depends on the industry. I also tend to think that people who work from home dont do as much, compared when in the office. I think more would be accomplished in the office. And faster.

Oh and less traffic is I drive to work.
    I don't know what industry you're in but it's a long debunk myth that people who work from home are doing less. Many times, they're actually doing more.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    That's probably dependant on the person and their situation.

Wouldn't be true in my case, but my last boss had 5 kids under 12, all boys, and he was a Champ.

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't know what industry you're in but it's a long debunk myth that people who work from home are doing less. Many times, they're actually doing more.
    impossible to do more when you have distractions like kids. but it depends on the individual situation I guess. i'm definitely more productive in the office than WFH

Senior Member Midget Division
    Agree that younger kids can be a distraction from work as you try to attend their needs. We have two boys ages 21 and 23. The younger guy just graduated college and the internship he was looking forward to transitioning into a job has stopped all offers to interns this year. He's put himself on the NYS list for Contact Tracers training and employment. The older guy was working 50-60 hours a week in the office, but since moving home he 'only' puts in 50-55 now. It's a myth that WFH means less production for the company. And previously mentioned, I've been WFH for almost 20 years. There were plenty of early years where I pulled 'all-nighters' working until 4-5AM in order to get ahead of work deadlines when the crunch came. I don't do that anymore as we've expanded our office staff talking on some of those responsibilities.

Are their slackers at home? Certainly and just like those who walk around the office carrying something, anything just to look busy. LOL - it brought back a thought from a old-timer when I first started a real job. He said that anytime I left my desk or our department, carry a file or a short-stack (of papers) so management would be reluctant to dump some thing on you as you walked past. I thought it nonsensical at the time but soon saw the wisdom of his advice. Oh, those goofy days.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Super nice waking up today to some nice weather in the high 40s. Bring on the real fall and winter!

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Yup. Loving this. Broke out the hoodies!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    We had mid 70s and breeze all day.

Still do, in fact. Might need to grill.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    What’s all this weather talk?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division
    Frost warning tonight in the Hudson Valley. Windows will be closed.