• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

I'm good with the cold but it'd be nice to have, you know, not miserable rain one of these days this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Seriously. It's wreaking havoc on my grass. I am now probably going to miss 2 damn mows before Halloween. Finally had some sun yesterday but I just didn't have the time to get and do it. More rain expected tomorrow and Friday. Not sure if I'll have time Saturday morning.

Seriously. It's wreaking havoc on my grass. I am now probably going to miss 2 damn mows before Halloween. Finally had some sun yesterday but I just didn't have the time to get and do it. More rain expected tomorrow and Friday. Not sure if I'll have time Saturday morning.

I'm done mowing for the year, just concentrating on leaves. Got an Echo backpack blower. True suburbanite, now.

I'm done mowing for the year, just concentrating on leaves. Got an Echo backpack blower. True suburbanite, now.

Nah I am still mowing twice a week as much as I can. Trying to keep the grass growing and roots establishing for as long as the weather will allow it. I haven't been needing to water for a while so that's a plus lol.

Nah I am still mowing twice a week as much as I can. Trying to keep the grass growing and roots establishing for as long as the weather will allow it. I haven't been needing to water for a while so that's a plus lol.

Is this new grass or established?

Is this new grass or established?

I did a dethatch, aerate, and over seed in September so its a mix. A lot of new grass though. I really did my hardest to rip apart the lawn as much as I could with the power rake and the aerator. It has been cut plenty of times so it shouldn't have a problem lasting the winter but I wanna give it the best chance I can. Besides, I enjoy it. Its a hobby I really started to put time and effort into since COVID took away my beer league hockey. I'm sad the season is coming to an end lol.

I did a dethatch, aerate, and over seed in September so its a mix. A lot of new grass though. I really did my hardest to rip apart the lawn as much as I could with the power rake and the aerator. It has been cut plenty of times so it shouldn't have a problem lasting the winter but I wanna give it the best chance I can. Besides, I enjoy it. Its a hobby I really started to put time and effort into since COVID took away my beer league hockey. I'm sad the season is coming to an end lol.

Hah, yea I get it. I've totally neglected the back since we're re-doing it next year (platform deck, landscaping, topsoil), but the front is so established that I'm not really worried about it.

But you made me paranoid so I'm going to overseed this weekend LOL.

Hah, yea I get it. I've totally neglected the back since we're re-doing it next year (platform deck, landscaping, topsoil), but the front is so established that I'm not really worried about it.

But you made me paranoid so I'm going to overseed this weekend LOL.

Yea I didn't care at all for the back yard either. I just took care of the front. I will add a section of the back yard to my regimen next year. The other part of the back yard is a lost cause, its where the swing set and all the kids toys are. Don't bother overseeding at this point, it is too late. You want to give the lawn a good 40-45 days of growing post-germination before the ground temps reach the mid 50s. Once it hits that point it starts going dormant. If you seeded this weekend and had anything germinate it wouldn't be mature enough to last through the winter without dying. If you're lawn is already established and nice and thick then you have nothing to worry about. You can, however, throw down some pre-emergent herbicide to keep the winter weeds from coming up. Though I think its a little late for that too but something is better than nothing. Better late than never, or whichever phrase you wanna use.

Yea I didn't care at all for the back yard either. I just took care of the front. I will add a section of the back yard to my regimen next year. The other part of the back yard is a lost cause, its where the swing set and all the kids toys are. Don't bother overseeding at this point, it is too late. You want to give the lawn a good 40-45 days of growing post-germination before the ground temps reach the mid 50s. Once it hits that point it starts going dormant. If you seeded this weekend and had anything germinate it wouldn't be mature enough to last through the winter without dying. If you're lawn is already established and nice and thick then you have nothing to worry about. You can, however, throw down some pre-emergent herbicide to keep the winter weeds from coming up. Though I think its a little late for that too but something is better than nothing. Better late than never, or whichever phrase you wanna use.

I have a lawn care guy who does everything but cut, he puts down all the chemicals. I'm sure he already did the herbicide. Would love to follow up in spring when you start to seed and what not. Compare notes haha.

I have close to an acre and the first couple of years owning this house was a real struggle to figure out exactly how to upkeep the lawn. Pretty sure I have mod5 of it down. The hottest summer month though still ends up with some I’ve gotten the fall and spring mixes at a point where the lawn is healthy enough to thwart most weeds and crab.

I will say this. Fall probably is the most important season for your future lawn. Really establishes how everything will turn our next year.

Degrees? Fuck outta here with that. Ugh I can't wait for April lol.

Love it ! Have some good seasoned cherry wood all ready to burn

I'm good with the cold but it'd be nice to have, you know, not miserable rain one of these days this week.

It’s been a really wet October this year, or it feels like it.

Lawn seeding is best in the fall (mid September - late October). Spring seeding is tough due to colder ground temps (slowing germination) and then what germinates must fight weeds and then harsh summer heat and humidity.

2 years ago I started from scratch due to a new build home and two autumns with aeration and overseed have helped immensely. Still need another year or two to get things where I?ll be happy.

• Like 1

Lawns are super frustrating when you are doing it wrong but so so addicting once you get it right.

I?m getting inground sprinklers installed in a week. Haven?t been excited about something like this in years. Lol.

All controllable through an app. on my phone. I can?t wait!

That's so extra. For someone who knows when rain is coming lol.

Lol. True, but I?m tired of watering by hand with hoses. Plus they are setting up two zones of drip irrigation for all my gardens which alone will save me a ton of hassle. Definitely a luxury. Something I never had but dreamed about as a lawn/garden nut.

After this miserable year, cancelled vacations, etc....money saved. I said fuck it. Time to splurge.

Make sure you get a rain sensor with it

Will do. I believe the controller ?smart irrigation controller? is tied into local weather stations and can also adjust watering off of that if I want it to. Obviously, as a weather guy I?ll have all the info I need.

I hear soil moisture sensors are even more helpful so I may look into that at some point.