Page 694 of 694 FirstFirst ... 194594644684692693694
Results 13,861 to 13,880 of 13880

Thread: The Flying Puck

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm done mowing for the year, just concentrating on leaves. Got an Echo backpack blower. True suburbanite, now.
    Nah I am still mowing twice a week as much as I can. Trying to keep the grass growing and roots establishing for as long as the weather will allow it. I haven't been needing to water for a while so that's a plus lol.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Nah I am still mowing twice a week as much as I can. Trying to keep the grass growing and roots establishing for as long as the weather will allow it. I haven't been needing to water for a while so that's a plus lol.
    Is this new grass or established?

Is this new grass or established?
    I did a dethatch, aerate, and over seed in September so its a mix. A lot of new grass though. I really did my hardest to rip apart the lawn as much as I could with the power rake and the aerator. It has been cut plenty of times so it shouldn't have a problem lasting the winter but I wanna give it the best chance I can. Besides, I enjoy it. Its a hobby I really started to put time and effort into since COVID took away my beer league hockey. I'm sad the season is coming to an end lol.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I did a dethatch, aerate, and over seed in September so its a mix. A lot of new grass though. I really did my hardest to rip apart the lawn as much as I could with the power rake and the aerator. It has been cut plenty of times so it shouldn't have a problem lasting the winter but I wanna give it the best chance I can. Besides, I enjoy it. Its a hobby I really started to put time and effort into since COVID took away my beer league hockey. I'm sad the season is coming to an end lol.
    Hah, yea I get it. I've totally neglected the back since we're re-doing it next year (platform deck, landscaping, topsoil), but the front is so established that I'm not really worried about it.

But you made me paranoid so I'm going to overseed this weekend LOL.

Hah, yea I get it. I've totally neglected the back since we're re-doing it next year (platform deck, landscaping, topsoil), but the front is so established that I'm not really worried about it.

But you made me paranoid so I'm going to overseed this weekend LOL.
    Yea I didn't care at all for the back yard either. I just took care of the front. I will add a section of the back yard to my regimen next year. The other part of the back yard is a lost cause, its where the swing set and all the kids toys are. Don't bother overseeding at this point, it is too late. You want to give the lawn a good 40-45 days of growing post-germination before the ground temps reach the mid 50s. Once it hits that point it starts going dormant. If you seeded this weekend and had anything germinate it wouldn't be mature enough to last through the winter without dying. If you're lawn is already established and nice and thick then you have nothing to worry about. You can, however, throw down some pre-emergent herbicide to keep the winter weeds from coming up. Though I think its a little late for that too but something is better than nothing. Better late than never, or whichever phrase you wanna use.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yea I didn't care at all for the back yard either. I just took care of the front. I will add a section of the back yard to my regimen next year. The other part of the back yard is a lost cause, its where the swing set and all the kids toys are. Don't bother overseeding at this point, it is too late. You want to give the lawn a good 40-45 days of growing post-germination before the ground temps reach the mid 50s. Once it hits that point it starts going dormant. If you seeded this weekend and had anything germinate it wouldn't be mature enough to last through the winter without dying. If you're lawn is already established and nice and thick then you have nothing to worry about. You can, however, throw down some pre-emergent herbicide to keep the winter weeds from coming up. Though I think its a little late for that too but something is better than nothing. Better late than never, or whichever phrase you wanna use.
    I have a lawn care guy who does everything but cut, he puts down all the chemicals. I'm sure he already did the herbicide. Would love to follow up in spring when you start to seed and what not. Compare notes haha.

(╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    I have close to an acre and the first couple of years owning this house was a real struggle to figure out exactly how to upkeep the lawn. Pretty sure I have mod5 of it down. The hottest summer month though still ends up with some I’ve gotten the fall and spring mixes at a point where the lawn is healthy enough to thwart most weeds and crab.

I will say this. Fall probably is the most important season for your future lawn. Really establishes how everything will turn our next year.

Degrees? Fuck outta here with that. Ugh I can't wait for April lol.
    Love it ! Have some good seasoned cherry wood all ready to burn
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm good with the cold but it'd be nice to have, you know, not miserable rain one of these days this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    It’s been a really wet October this year, or it feels like it.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Lawn seeding is best in the fall (mid September - late October). Spring seeding is tough due to colder ground temps (slowing germination) and then what germinates must fight weeds and then harsh summer heat and humidity.

2 years ago I started from scratch due to a new build home and two autumns with aeration and overseed have helped immensely. Still need another year or two to get things where Iíll be happy.

Lawns are super frustrating when you are doing it wrong but so so addicting once you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Lawns are super frustrating when you are doing it wrong but so so addicting once you get it right.
    Iím getting inground sprinklers installed in a week. Havenít been excited about something like this in years. Lol.

All controllable through an app. on my phone. I canít wait!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    That's so extra. For someone who knows when rain is coming lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Iím getting inground sprinklers installed in a week. Havenít been excited about something like this in years. Lol.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    I have a landscaper and my grass still isnít as good as it should be, wtf
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

Make sure you get a rain sensor with it
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

The Flying Puck

That's so extra. For someone who knows when rain is coming lol.
    Lol. True, but Iím tired of watering by hand with hoses. Plus they are setting up two zones of drip irrigation for all my gardens which alone will save me a ton of hassle. Definitely a luxury. Something I never had but dreamed about as a lawn/garden nut.

After this miserable year, cancelled vacations, etc....money saved. I said fuck it. Time to splurge.

Last edited by Parsley; Yesterday at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Will do. I believe the controller ďsmart irrigation controllerĒ is tied into local weather stations and can also adjust watering off of that if I want it to. Obviously, as a weather guy Iíll have all the info I need.

I hear soil moisture sensors are even more helpful so I may look into that at some point.

I have a lawn care guy who does everything but cut, he puts down all the chemicals. I'm sure he already did the herbicide. Would love to follow up in spring when you start to seed and what not. Compare notes haha.
    See I am the opposite. I do all my own chemicals but my brother in law owns a landscaping company so I have him do the weekly cutting/edging/blowing/etc. I cut my front lawn a second time myself between his cuts but I don't do the extras. I don't have time to be doing all of that with two toddlers at home. My wife bitches enough that I waste my time doing a second cut, they just don't get it lol. I also did my dethatch/aerate/overseed job myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I have close to an acre and the first couple of years owning this house was a real struggle to figure out exactly how to upkeep the lawn. Pretty sure I have mod5 of it down. The hottest summer month though still ends up with some I’ve gotten the fall and spring mixes at a point where the lawn is healthy enough to thwart most weeds and crab.

I will say this. Fall probably is the most important season for your future lawn. Really establishes how everything will turn our next year.
    Iirc you live in the Babylon area, right? And you have almost an acre of land? Jesus. But yes, the fall is the most important time to set yourself up for success the following spring. I really put all my effort into my front lawn this fall. I should have put at least some effort into the area of my back yard that I plan to bring up to par with my front. I'll make it work in the spring though.
    Lawn seeding is best in the fall (mid September - late October). Spring seeding is tough due to colder ground temps (slowing germination) and then what germinates must fight weeds and then harsh summer heat and humidity.

2 years ago I started from scratch due to a new build home and two autumns with aeration and overseed have helped immensely. Still need another year or two to get things where I’ll be happy.

Depending on air temps its actually best to do it early to mid September. As I mentioned earlier, you need a good 45(more if you're seeding with Kentucky Blue Grass as that takes up to three weeks just to germinate) days post germination to give the grass time to grow and roots to establish. The goal is at least 2 cuts before the lawn goes dormant, which happens around 55* soil temps.

Spring seeding isn't bad if you have the right tools to help it along. I cleared a bunch of land in late April/early May and planted new grass that grew in beautifully(though I did fight a little bout with either large patch or brown patch fungus in July). But you are right, the biggest problem is the new grass has to contend with crabgrass. This goes back to having the right tools to help the grass. Jonathan Green makes a fantastic starter fertilizer that also has a crabgrass preventative in it. Their seed is also top notch. As far as soil temps go, in the spring, its not much of a problem as the soil temps are climbing. That is why you want to seed in early September as the ground temps are starting to fall. You just need to find the right window where the air temps aren't going to spike up again and zap the new grass.
    I’m getting inground sprinklers installed in a week. Haven’t been excited about something like this in years. Lol.

All controllable through an app. on my phone. I can’t wait!
    I had an in ground irrigation system installed the second year we were in the house, man was that such a game changer. I've been wanting to upgrade my computer to one that has wifi capabilities, that is fucking awesome. I'm jealous of that, Parsley.

I have a landscaper and my grass still isn’t as good as it should be, wtf
    What services does he do for you?
    Those are a total waste. They break easily. Its especially a waste if he can control the system from his phone. If it rains just turn the shit off.

Sorry these were posted while I was penning my previous novel lol
    Lol. True, but Iím tired of watering by hand with hoses. Plus they are setting up two zones of drip irrigation for all my gardens which alone will save me a ton of hassle. Definitely a luxury. Something I never had but dreamed about as a lawn/garden nut.

After this miserable year, cancelled vacations, etc....money saved. I said fuck it. Time to splurge.

The drip irrigation is awesome! My wife wanted to plant some actual flower gardens this year instead of just doing pots. I told her not unless they're hit by the sprinkler system because you may want the damn flowers but I am going to be the idiot to end up watering them twice a day. Of course I ended up being right. She knows me too well. I am too frugal to let her waste money on flowers and just let them die. So my dumb ass always ends up watering them lol.
    Will do. I believe the controller ďsmart irrigation controllerĒ is tied into local weather stations and can also adjust watering off of that if I want it to. Obviously, as a weather guy Iíll have all the info I need.

I hear soil moisture sensors are even more helpful so I may look into that at some point.

That is fucking cool too.

I feel like all of this conversation is probably better suited for the home improvement thread, right? It really took off lol.

I feel like all of this conversation is probably better suited for the home improvement thread, right? It really took off lol.
    You provided a lot of good info in that post above.

My aeration and overseeding this year was around September 10th. It was perfect. Last year it was at the end of September and it still went well but the extra 2-3 weeks this fall has clearly been beneficial. Been mowing basically every 3 days since the start of October. (Waited 3 weeks after overseed to mow)