• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TOR Signs Nick Ritchie to 2-Year/$5M Deal; $2.5M AAV

Phil

Except for the fact Ritchie with get 3rd line minutes in TOR and Reaves will be NYR 13th forward.

Now if you wanted to say Ritchie @ 2.5M instead of Kreider @ 6.5M then yes, everyday.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He could have gotten 3rd line minutes here.

Reaves is an enforcer, Ritchie is a player that will occasionally fight. They filled that role. Ritchie will get top 9 minutes in Toronto and wouldn't in NY.

But Ritchie over Goodrow. No?

I'd rather be plugging Ritchie into spots all over the lineup over Goodrow, Blais and Hunt. Pretty much an up and coming Hyman who would have come cheap. Guess that's how Toronto got him in the door.

I do think being a champion counts for something. Prior to signing Goodrow, the Rangers had no one in that locker room who has even sniffed a Cup. For this group of youngsters, it has to count for something to have someone who was a key part of the last 2 Cup winners now in their locker room.

Is Ritchie a better player? Maybe. But he doesn’t bring that pedigree with him. And I’m not trying to make Barclay Goodrow out to be Mark Messier or anything. But we haven’t had anyone in that room in awhile with any type of history of winning.

He's a much better player than Goodrow, and younger.
Much better? Based on....

Just like Goodrow in Tampa, Ritchie isn't getting pp time here. That eliminates 5 goals and 9 points from his career highs last year.

Ritchie doesn't kill penalties. Ritchie can't play center. Ritchie isn't a career 52+% on faceoffs.

Except for the fact Ritchie with get 3rd line minutes in TOR and Reaves will be NYR 13th forward.

Now if you wanted to say Ritchie @ 2.5M instead of Kreider @ 6.5M then yes, everyday.

Not seeing a world where Reaves is 13th.

Not seeing a world where Reaves is 13th.

Same here not a chance imo. Not with Gallant here, the extension etc. He wasn't brought here to sit. Not saying he plays every night but barring an injury he's not the spare. I think a lot of you guys are going to be really disappointed if that's your expectation.

Much better? Based on....

Just like Goodrow in Tampa, Ritchie isn't getting pp time here. That eliminates 5 goals and 9 points from his career highs last year.

Ritchie doesn't kill penalties. Ritchie can't play center. Ritchie isn't a career 52+% on faceoffs.

Based on analytics and possession numbers. Ritchie is exceptional, some of the most impressive numbers in the league. Goodrow is below average and in the negatives. And yeah Ritchie also scores at a better rate and is three years younger. He's a better player, he just didn't win 2 cups the last two years, which is an overrated reason to pay a guy. Maybe Drury didn't know Ritchie would become available when he made the Goodrow move, but if given a choice between the two, especially given the contracts, it seems like a pretty easy one.

I'd also certainly take Ritchie over Reaves for two years as well. I don't hate Reaves but he showed big regression for the first time last season, which is going to continue.

But Ritchie over Goodrow. No?

I'd rather be plugging Ritchie into spots all over the lineup over Goodrow, Blais and Hunt. Pretty much an up and coming Hyman who would have come cheap. Guess that's how Toronto got him in the door.

Goodrow legitimately plays center. That's the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Based on analytics and possession numbers. Ritchie is exceptional, some of the most impressive numbers in the league. Goodrow is below average and in the negatives. And yeah Ritchie also scores at a better rate and is three years younger. He's a better player, he just didn't win 2 cups the last two years, which is an overrated reason to pay a guy. Maybe Drury didn't know Ritchie would become available when he made the Goodrow move, but if given a choice between the two, especially given the contracts, it seems like a pretty easy one.

I'd also certainly take Ritchie over Reaves for two years as well. I don't hate Reaves but he showed big regression for the first time last season, which is going to continue.

Should we factor in that Ritchie started 71.2% of his shifts in the offensive zone compared to Goodrow starting 63.9% of his in the defensive zone, or leave that part out of the analytics?

Ritchie is so good his coach played him 12 minutes a night in the playoffs, while Goodrow played 17-18 minutes per night over 42 playoff games...but cups are overrated.

Should we factor in that Ritchie started 71.2% of his shifts in the offensive zone compared to Goodrow starting 63.9% of his in the defensive zone, or leave that part out of the analytics?

That wouldn't come close to making up that type of difference. They both started a large number of shifts in the offensive zone.