• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Ryan Reaves From VGK for 2022 3rd-Round Pick; Re-Sign to $1.75mx1

Phil

Are the Rangers going overboard and going too far the other way b/c of what happened with the Isles/Wilson?

Rangers are definitely tougher to play against but I don't see how their 4th line will chip in for an occasional goal.

Rangers got 2 scoring lines, and 2 lines that will barely score any goals.

Rangers better have a kick ass PK b/c they'll be on it A LOT, which will take time away from the top 2 lines being on the ice.

Cant fault the Rangers for getting Reaves especially giving up only a 3rd Rounder, however these type of deals never end up working out the way the Rangers think.

Does Ryan Reaves play the home opener? or will he already get suspended after the game vs. the Caps? How many games will Reaves miss b/c of a suspension this season?

Are the Rangers going overboard and going too far the other way b/c of what happened with the Isles/Wilson?

Rangers are definitely tougher to play against but I don't see how their 4th line will chip in for an occasional goal.

Rangers better have a kick ass PK b/c they'll be on it A LOT, which will take time away from the top 2 lines being on the ice.

Cant fault the Rangers for getting Reaves especially giving up only a 3rd Rounder, however these type of deals never end up working out the way the Rangers think.

Does Ryan Reaves play the home opener? or will he already get suspended after the game vs. the Caps? How many games will Reaves miss b/c of a suspension this season?

Who cares if he gets suspended. The Rangers got a 4th from Vegas in the Howden deal and gave up a 3rd to get Reeves. Basically a wash. Reeves doesn't have to play all the time. Point is they now have the biggest baddest lion to dress when they feel necessary. He can play hockey too. No more Martin, Wilson, etc laughing from the bench as they run around punishing our team knowing all to well the Rangers couldn't respond anyway other than on the scoreboard. Now with Reeves and the others the Rangers can respond. The game is changing but the physical aspect and intimidation will always exist to some extent.

Who cares if he gets suspended. The Rangers got a 4th from Vegas in the Howden deal and gave up a 3rd to get Reeves. Basically a wash. Reeves doesn't have to play all the time. Point is they now have the biggest baddest lion to dress when they feel necessary. He can play hockey too. No more Martin, Wilson, etc laughing from the bench as they run around punishing our team knowing all to well the Rangers couldn't respond anyway other than on the scoreboard. Now with Reeves and the others the Rangers can respond. The game is changing but the physical aspect and intimidation will always exist to some extent.
Reaves is not a good player. He was, 3 years ago.

Kreider - Chytil - Goodrow

Blais - Rooney - Barron/Reeves

They can score.

Kreider - Chytil - Goodrow

Blais - Rooney - Barron/Reeves

They can score.

Chytil hasn't proved he can play C

Kreider pretty much only scores on the PP, and in spurts then is invisible for 15+ games at a time.

Goodrow has scored 6-8 goals in a season, not necessarily something you want from someone on your 3rd line.

Have they gone over board though?

Reaves and tinordi, one d one forward. Neither of which will play 82 games.

Goodrow and blais are grinders who will help the lineup.

I was the first one to say “can’t wait to see us over react” but these have been good acquisitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangers needed "character" players, locker room guys, experienced S/C and playoff players in a seriously bad way. They now have them and it will definitely help the young studs play to their talents by neutralizing some of the intimidation factors we've seen the last two seasons. Reaves can be easily moved at the trade deadline if we're not a playoff contender. This is a great trade but I also understand the concerns Pete brought up. Really pumped to see this team hit the ice! LGR !

Have they gone over board though?

Reaves and tinordi, one d one forward. Neither of which will play 82 games.

Goodrow and blais are grinders who will help the lineup.

I was the first one to say “can’t wait to see us over react” but these have been good acquisitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.

We all knew what they needed to do and it's exactly what they've done.

- Opened up space in the top 6 for Laf, Kakko, Krav. A little underwhelming return for Buch, but its not a big problem.

- Completely change the bottom 6 = Goodrow, Blais, (Reeves, Hunt) in, Howden, DiGi, Blackwell out

- Big, Veteran 6/7th D = Nemeth, Tinordi

Maybe they could've went for X instead of Y, but honestly, this looks solid. Maybe they gave Nemeth and Goodrow a year or two too much, but who gives a shit about that. There's no problem dumping those contracts if needed.

They knew what they needed to do and did it without giving away any good assets or fucking themselves for the future. I'll give Drury a B- for the off season (so far).

• Like 1

You are fooling yourself if you think that a 35 year old tough guy who ended the season as a healthy scratch can still play adequately. I only hope that Gallant's bromance with the guy does not end up squeezing out Baron or other options from playing time. I'm not interested in seeing a latter day Marty McSorley take penalties, not chip in goals, and be too slow to participate in a 4th line that pins in the opposition.

Honestly dont understand how people get mad at this. They have two 2nd round picks next year, who gives a fuck about a (hopefully) late 3rd?

Tinordi won't play every night, neither will Reeves, but now we can atleast manage to dress atleast one of them at all time. And if we have a "Wilson situation" again next season we won't have to use Strome and Blackwell to fight the next game.

Everyone agreed after last season that this is what was needed. Maybe they brought in one or two guys too many, but that doesnt really care since the cap this season is no problem.

Out: Buch (cap and no place in the top 6 for him), Howden, DiGi, Blackwell, Smith

In: Goodrow, Blais, Reeves, Tinordi, Nemeth,

Its exactly what everyone wanted. A "veteran" 3LD, a 3rd line grinder and a 4th line face-puncher.

I do have a feeling Chytil might be on the way out, and that they're looking at something like this:

Laf - Mika - Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Goodrow - Blais

Barron - Rooney - Reeves

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Nemeth - Lundkvist

No prospects "blocked", but the team is much more suited to play "playoff hockey" than last year. That 3rd line could be a real identity line and that 4th line can be a really annoying "in your face line" and that top 6 is stacked with talent. Top 4 D's remain the same, but the 3rd pair went from Hajek - Smith to Nemeth - Lundkvist, that should be a huge upgrade.

Well, if you believe Chytil is now the odd man out, that basically is blocking out a prospect. I don’t think Chytil is necessarily, but just pointing out that idea. And it is overkill IMO just simply for the fact that a soon approaching 35 year old has his “hockey” days limited. I’m sure he can punch until he’s 40, but I’m not sure anyone really cares around the league if they can skate circles around him. It looks like the year Vegas went to the finals, he only played 10 playoff games I think and it still didn’t stop Tom Wilson from cheap shots against Vegas and later scoring a goal

I'm still wondering how present day Reaves managed to fetch a 3rd rounder, wow.

Aside from that, this trade is probably exciting in the minds of a lot of fans because the anger of the Tom Wilson incident is still pretty fresh, but man I think that excitement is going to disappear pretty quickly into the new season and replaced with frustration at him taking up a roster spot. Hopefully I'm wrong and he picks up his level of play but we'll see...

Well, if you believe Chytil is now the odd man out, that basically is blocking out a prospect. I don’t think Chytil is necessarily, but just pointing out that idea. And it is overkill IMO just simply for the fact that a soon approaching 35 year old has his “hockey” days limited. I’m sure he can punch until he’s 40, but I’m not sure anyone really cares around the league if they can skate circles around him. It looks like the year Vegas went to the finals, he only played 10 playoff games I think and it still didn’t stop Tom Wilson from cheap shots against Vegas and later scoring a goal

Yeah I guess, but that's because I dont think they see him as a 3rd line C and the top 6 winger spots are taken. Plus on his current contract Chytil should have a decent amount of value, so it would make sense including him in a trade.

I can also see them keeping him to see if he's capable of taking the 2C from Strome, and shipping him out if he can't do that.

Link:

Well this is just retarded lol. They don't even know if he can still skate and they are planning on giving him the same 1.75m when he's 36?

I thought we had an incoming cap problem, tying up 1.75m to a guy we dont know will play a single game in 22/23 is kinda stupid.

like why extend him?

I don't think they needed to do this immediately either, but they probably really like what he brings and are putting their trust in it not being a one-time thing. Meaning, they see him as a valuable piece of the equation, not just a guy to punch Wilson in the face.

There's also the idea of the East getting bigger and meaner in general and probably not wanting to risk him getting to free agency to sign with the baby-soft Devils or Flyers, or any other divisional/conference rival.

Yeah I guess, but that's because I dont think they see him as a 3rd line C and the top 6 winger spots are taken. Plus on his current contract Chytil should have a decent amount of value, so it would make sense including him in a trade.

I can also see them keeping him to see if he's capable of taking the 2C from Strome, and shipping him out if he can't do that.

Well this is just retarded lol. They don't even know if he can still skate and they are planning on giving him the same 1.75m when he's 36?

I thought we had an incoming cap problem, tying up 1.75m to a guy we dont know will play a single game in 22/23 is kinda stupid.

An incoming cap problem doesn't mean zero dollars. It means making informed decisions. Locking up $6 million long-term with in a redundant RW isn't the same thing as extending your fourth-line presence winger with one extra year. These things are not the same. At all.

An incoming cap problem doesn't mean zero dollars. It means making informed decisions. Locking up $6 million long-term with in a redundant RW isn't the same thing as extending your fourth-line presence winger with one extra year. These things are not the same. At all.

I never said that, but money is money.

If Reeves turns out to play hockey like a grandpa now, they have ~2m tied up to a guy that won't play a shift in 22-23. Yes I guess they can easily dump the contract if needed, but they would have to give up assets to do so.

It just doesnt make sense to me. It wouldn't be a problem re-signing him later if it turns out he still can play. Why rush it?