• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Ryan Reaves From VGK for 2022 3rd-Round Pick; Re-Sign to $1.75mx1

Phil

Wasnt expecting this to actually happen.

Rangers gonna be much harder to play against now [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, but they'll still be easy to beat if some of these guys who we acquired wind up being regulars.

Lol i guess at least we will win the hits & PIM category this year.
I hope our PK is up to snuff, because the refs will be hyper-aware of the attitudinal shift. That being said, while there is plenty of aggression in the group we added, there is nobody (beyond RR and that's a specialty hire) that projects the "I'm looking for trouble" vibe of a Lemieux. But still.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Honestly dont understand how people get mad at this. They have two 2nd round picks next year, who gives a fuck about a (hopefully) late 3rd?

Tinordi won't play every night, neither will Reeves, but now we can atleast manage to dress atleast one of them at all time. And if we have a "Wilson situation" again next season we won't have to use Strome and Blackwell to fight the next game.

Everyone agreed after last season that this is what was needed. Maybe they brought in one or two guys too many, but that doesnt really care since the cap this season is no problem.

Out: Buch (cap and no place in the top 6 for him), Howden, DiGi, Blackwell, Smith

In: Goodrow, Blais, Reeves, Tinordi, Nemeth,

Its exactly what everyone wanted. A "veteran" 3LD, a 3rd line grinder and a 4th line face-puncher.

I do have a feeling Chytil might be on the way out, and that they're looking at something like this:

Laf - Mika - Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Goodrow - Blais

Barron - Rooney - Reeves

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Nemeth - Lundkvist

No prospects "blocked", but the team is much more suited to play "playoff hockey" than last year. That 3rd line could be a real identity line and that 4th line can be a really annoying "in your face line" and that top 6 is stacked with talent. Top 4 D's remain the same, but the 3rd pair went from Hajek - Smith to Nemeth - Lundkvist, that should be a huge upgrade.

• Like 1

Reaves has logged 71 fights in his NHL career, 56 with the St. Louis Blues, 9 with the Vegas Golden Knights, and 6 with the Pittsburgh Penguins. He’s not as prolific a fighter as he was earlier in his career, as he logged three fights in 2020-21, three in 2019-20, and three in 2018-19 per HockeyFights.com. Reaves has one-year left on his contract, and he will count $1.75 million against the salary cap.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2021/7/29/22600940/nhl-trade-new-york-rangers-acquire-ryan-reaves-from-vegas-golden-knights

9 fights the last 3.5 seasons compared to the 8.5 fights per season he averaged over his first 6.5 seasons in St. Louis; agree with all of the comments about the need for a soon to be 35 year old face puncher. It's certainly not his production that they acquired him for.

Considering that it is a 1 year deal and that they have cap space to burn this season, I'm fine with this move if he plays 20-25 games and is on the ice when they have someone like him that they need to neutralize(looking at you Tom Wilson). Having said that, if this turns out to be a "Tannner Glass situation" where Reaves is getting 50-60 games at the expense of Morgan Barron developing in a bottom 6 role or really just anyone that has more than 10 points per season hockey skills, it will have been a huge mistake.

Think that having Blais, Hunt, and Reaves is overkill; much rather would have had Nick Ritchie plus one of those 3 instead of what we have. Then again who knows, maybe Drury is negotiating to bring Ritchie in as well, as none of the first 3 that I mentioned, are that expensive to send down to Hartford if they clear waivers.

Honestly dont understand how people get mad at this. They have two 2nd round picks next year, who gives a fuck about a (hopefully) late 3rd?

Tinordi won't play every night, neither will Reeves, but now we can atleast manage to dress atleast one of them at all time. And if we have a "Wilson situation" again next season we won't have to use Strome and Blackwell to fight the next game.

Everyone agreed after last season that this is what was needed. Maybe they brought in one or two guys too many, but that doesnt really care since the cap this season is no problem.

Out: Buch (cap and no place in the top 6 for him), Howden, DiGi, Blackwell, Smith

In: Goodrow, Blais, Reeves, Tinordi, Nemeth,

Its exactly what everyone wanted. A "veteran" 3LD, a 3rd line grinder and a 4th line face-puncher.

I do have a feeling Chytil might be on the way out, and that they're looking at something like this:

Laf - Mika - Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Goodrow - Blais

Barron - Rooney - Reeves

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Nemeth - Lundkvist

No prospects "blocked", but the team is much more suited to play "playoff hockey" than last year. That 3rd line could be a real identity line and that 4th line can be a really annoying "in your face line" and that top 6 is stacked with talent. Top 4 D's remain the same, but the 3rd pair went from Hajek - Smith to Nemeth - Lundkvist, that should be a huge upgrade.

Sign Ritchie for the 3rd line, move Blais to the 4th, and Reaves as the 13th forward and you will not hear a single complaint out of me. If you did that, I think that 3rd would be on par with Tampa's last year.

As I mentioned above, Reaves is a big Gallant favorite, so your fear there regarding Barron is legitimate. What Tanner Glass was to AV, I think Ryan Reaves will be to Gallant. I don't see how he plays in less than 30 games or so, but I would love to be wrong because I'd like to see a lot more of Barron as well. I think basically all he does now is fight and hit people at this stage, plus he's older and that could be why his fight rate has decreased. But at any rate, your concerns are very real.

I don't have an issue with the type of players they brought in, but I do have an issue with the last two moves because they brought in two guys who literally can't play hockey. This screams Brashear/Asham shit.

And I keep reading that these guys aren't going to play every night, only against the Islanders, the Capitals, the Bruins, Carolina... Basically the divisional games against teams that will likely competing for a playoff spot with... Nothing important, so don't worry about it. Add to that I keep reading how they're only going to play 5 minutes a night, so in those super important games we're going to be playing with 11 forwards. Sounds legit.

I don't have an issue with the type of players they brought in, but I do have an issue with the last two moves because they brought in two guys who literally can't play hockey. This screams Brashear/Asham shit.

And I keep reading that these guys aren't going to play every night, only against the Islanders, the Capitals, the Bruins, Carolina... Basically the divisional games against teams that will likely competing for a playoff spot with... Nothing important, so don't worry about it. Add to that I keep reading how they're only going to play 5 minutes a night, so in those super important games we're going to be playing with 11 forwards. Sounds legit.

Not seen anyone say 5 minutes. 8-12 minutes maybe.

And whats the big deal? You think having Reeves over Barron/Rooney for 10 minutes against Capitals will make a huge difference?

Last year they had NO ONE to put into the lineup that could fight (for the 2nd Captials game). They had to put in rookie Barron to just look a little bigger. Now they got two players thats huge and know how to fight if that would happen again this season. There's no problem with the cap, they gave up only a 3rd round pick and they won't play every game.

Again - everyone wanted this from the start, but every trade/signing/draft pick has been bad somehow. I dont get it.

Not seen anyone say 5 minutes. 8-12 minutes maybe.

And whats the big deal? You think having Reeves over Barron/Rooney for 10 minutes against Capitals will make a huge difference?

Last year they had NO ONE to put into the lineup that could fight (for the 2nd Captials game). They had to put in rookie Barron to just look a little bigger. Now they got two players thats huge and know how to fight if that would happen again this season. There's no problem with the cap, they gave up only a 3rd round pick and they won't play every game.

Again - everyone wanted this from the start, but every trade/signing/draft pick has been bad somehow. I dont get it.

Like I said, I was fine with every move but Tinordi and Reaves. They can't play hockey. Yes, Reaves over Barron or Rooney is a big difference. I don't think people realize how bad he is.

And Wilson isn't scared of Reaves. He showed that already.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter because the move cost them nothing, I don't think it makes the team better though.

Like I said, I was fine with every move but Tinordi and Reaves. They can't play hockey. Yes, Reaves over Barron or Rooney is a big difference. I don't think people realize how bad he is.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter because the move cost them nothing, I don't think it makes the team better though.

Probably not, but it could help the team in other ways. He got a winners mentality, Leadership, he's been to the SC final and he'll certainly teach them how to stick up for teammates. These are things that the team can benefit from years after he's gone aswell.

As mentioned before - just don't make it a "Tanner Glass thing" and this is all good.

You know this is my fault... I asked for this originally so I feel responsible.

Drury has to catch up on his reading this forum!! LOL

Hey maybe I should ask for a few Mega Million numbers while I'm at it???

Probably not, but it could help the team in other ways. He got a winners mentality, Leadership, he's been to the SC final and he'll certainly teach them how to stick up for teammates. These are things that the team can benefit from years after he's gone aswell.

As mentioned before - just don't make it a "Tanner Glass thing" and this is all good.

I hear you. I don't hate this from an entertainment or cost standpoint.

I'm just not as excited as some of you guys, nor do I think this stops Wilson from being Wilson or Martin from being Martin.

If Reaves helps Trouba find his sack, that would be nice.

You know this is my fault... I asked for this originally so I feel responsible.

Drury has to catch up on his reading this forum!! LOL

Hey maybe I should ask for a few Mega Million numbers while I'm at it???

LOL. All I'm saying is don't expect much aside from entertainment value. He's barely played in the East, so there's that factor. Some guys may want to shoot their shot.

LOL. All I'm saying is don't expect much aside from entertainment value. He's barely played in the East, so there's that factor. Some guys may want to shoot their shot.

Well, you know me and entertainment!! LOL

Once we got Tinordi, I figured that was going to be our face puncher; small contract/small term, and can drop the mitts as a heavyweight.

Reaves is going to be a watchdog, and the fact he's under Gallant again makes it more digestible.

I mentioned to Josh during the playoffs that Reaves being scratched the last 2 games of the series was concerning...which I took as a sign of him either not being able to keep up or play at the level needed. I gotta admit though, we haven't had this kind of toughness on this team since the Joey Kocur days.

Looks like the Golden Gloves are back at MSG!!

Well, you know me and entertainment!! LOL

Once we got Tinordi, I figured that was going to be our face puncher; small contract/small term, and can drop the mitts as a heavyweight.

Reaves is going to be a watchdog, and the fact he's under Gallant again makes it more digestible.

I mentioned to Josh during the playoffs that Reaves being scratched the last 2 games of the series was concerning...which I took as a sign of him either not being able to keep up or play at the level needed. I gotta admit though, we haven't had this kind of toughness on this team since the Joey Kocur days.

Looks like the Golden Gloves are back at MSG!!

Being under Gallant doesn't change anything for me. DeBoer is a proponent of that same type of play. To your point, Reavo looked toasted in the playoffs. He was a detriment.

Maybe he can revive his game with Gallant. Last he played for him he put up 20 points which is pretty good for a 4th liner, let alone someone who does what Reaves does. If not, he's gone so it doesn't really matter anyway. It doesn't hurt anyone to spend another year in the minors and if Barron's biggest competition is Reaves then that's a Barron problem, not a Reaves problem.

I'm hoping Barron beats out Rooney to play 4C.

Also, people comparing Glass to Reaves (there might be some similarities, although I'd argue Reaves is a better hockey player) Glass was a part of the team that won the President's Trophy so there's something to the formula.

Maybe he can revive his game with Gallant. Last he played for him he put up 20 points which is pretty good for a 4th liner, let alone someone who does what Reaves does. If not, he's gone so it doesn't really matter anyway. It doesn't hurt anyone to spend another year in the minors and if Barron's biggest competition is Reaves then that's a Barron problem, not a Reaves problem.

I'm hoping Barron beats out Rooney to play 4C.

Also, people comparing Glass to Reaves (there might be some similarities, although I'd argue Reaves is a better hockey player) Glass was a part of the team that won the President's Trophy so there's something to the formula.

I think Barron is a dark horse to beat out Chytil for 3C. He had his way with the AHL one year out of Cornell and did not look overmatched in last year's late season trial.

I think Barron is a dark horse to beat out Chytil for 3C. He had his way with the AHL one year out of Cornell and did not look overmatched in last year's late season trial.

He's also a big strong kid that didn't back down from contact that's something the Rangers are clearly wanting throughout. I'm not 100% sold on him, but if a move for Eichel happens, depending on the pieces that go, I could see Barron getting a bigger role than previously thought.

Being under Gallant doesn't change anything for me. DeBoer is a proponent of that same type of play. To your point, Reavo looked toasted in the playoffs. He was a detriment.

Watch though, he'll be the guy that scores the first goal of the season! :rofl: