• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lundqvist Wants to Continue NHL Career; Awaiting Medical Clearance

Keirik

Unrestricted free agent goaltender Henrik Lundqvist wants to return to active NHL duty next season, according to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie. However, in the short term, Lundqvist is not in a position to sign a contract as he's still awaiting medical clearance.

The 39-year-old missed all of last season after having open heart surgery in January. He signed a one-year deal with the Washington Capitals for the 2020-21 season after being bought out by the New York Rangers.

"Right after getting back on the ice after surgery, I made it my stretch goal to join the Capitals for the end of the season," Lundqvist wrote regarding his recovery in April. "Training has been going really well and I've been feeling good - but my heart isn't quite ready.

https://www.tsn.ca/henrik-lundqvist-nhl-career-medical-clearance-1.1673639

You guys think he's gonna accept a backup role?

I dunno about this one... LOL

Yeah, this will never happen. It would be nice, but it's just...not. lol He hasn't even been cleared yet, and even if he does, they're going to go in a different direction with a backup. The ship ha sailed here.

if this man is not back on the rangers on a team friendly deal to back up shesty i am going to shit my pants - is there any more quintessential rangers legend than henrik lundqvist? maybe messier? certainly not in the last 20+ years.

You guys think he's gonna accept a backup role?

I dunno about this one... LOL

If he wants to play in the nhl, yea. Can’t see anyone signing a 40 year old who just had major heart surgery to be their starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have so many young goalies to develop:

Wall

Huska

Lindbaum

..and we have our 2020 pick, a Swede: Ollas who's 6'8" and almost 240lbs. The guy probably takes up 3/4 of the net just standing still. (Jesus, that's huge!!)

Wall

Huska

Lindbaum

..and we have our 2020 pick, a Swede: Ollas who's 6'8" and almost 240lbs. The guy probably takes up 3/4 of the net just standing still. (Jesus, that's huge!!)

Between Ollas and Boyko, we have 13 feet 4 inches of goalie.

We're just hedging our bets that they increase the size of the cage at this point.

Wall

Huska

Lindbaum

Huska and Wall have a ways to come. They need time in Hartford.

Lindbom I think we can cross off. Dude is getting shelled in minor league Sweden still.

Garrand should be the interesting one. He still has a few years before determining the long term outlook.