• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

MTL Draft Controversial Prospect, Logan Mailloux

Keirik

Right, but nobody is calling for him to be excluded from career x or y or z. They're calling for him to have to demonstrate the growth as a person that you'd want a minor who did something this dumb to show before being given the honor of a prestigious, high profile career. It's almost exactly the remediation you're championing here.

I'm all for your opinion. I love the idea of probation/rehabilitation. Because it acknowledges that the individual did something wrong, and the league cares enough about the individual being wrong that it is stepping in to course-correct.

For clarification, I'm not saying he should be done. But he shouldn't have been a first round pick. Should've have even been eligible this year. The fact that he renouced his eligibility (I appreciate that he took this step as an acknowledgement of his wrongdoing) and he was still draft eligible, and the Habs took him in the first round is what shows that there were no consequences from a league perspective. If he does a year of rehabilitation, shows remorse, does the work to improve then gets reinstated to be drafted in 2022, that's the path I would have said "NHL did good by this kid and the victim".

Ah that makes sense. I was under the impression cash/Czech was moreso saying he was done. Again though, he did himself ask to be excluded from this years draft so I think he is sort of trying to do the right thing. I know he didn’t formally apologize in the way the victim wanted, but as we discussed in the past (not sure if with him or another guy), im willing to be lawyers are involved and advising a more selective apology.

As for being a 1st rounder, it was the last pick, no? 31st might as well be same as a 2nd and I guess the Habs were looking at it as he’s made the steps necessary and he likely isn’t going to now command much for quite a while, nor will he be in the lineup any time soon I assume. Good conversation regardless

If there's one word I could completely remove from the public discourse, it's "cancel culture". It's literally a term for "I don't agree with you, therefore you're trying to end someone's career/livelihood" at this point. Doubly so when the discussion is literally "we agree with the criminal's assessment that he isn't mature enough to have earned the right and think he should have been allowed to follow his own damn request".

Mailloux himself thinks he has work to do and didn't deserve to be drafted based on his behaviors. He got drafted anyway and I hope he proves his words weren't just meaningless bluster. The NHL has long made a habit of not caring about these sorts of situations, so color me unsurprised if he doesn't.

If some people misuse the term, that’s not a reason to “remove the term”. It does what all buzzwords do and gives an easily recognizable (if not sensationalist) face to an issue. In this case “cancel culture” (or the loss of peoples’ livelihood over things that many view to be far too minimal to fit the punishment) is a real problem in our country and in sports.

Ah that makes sense. I was under the impression cash/Czech was moreso saying he was done. Again though, he did himself ask to be excluded from this years draft so I think he is sort of trying to do the right thing. I know he didn’t formally apologize in the way the victim wanted, but as we discussed in the past (not sure if with him or another guy), im willing to be lawyers are involved and advising a more selective apology.

As for being a 1st rounder, it was the last pick, no? 31st might as well be same as a 2nd and I guess the Habs were looking at it as he’s made the steps necessary and he likely isn’t going to now command much for quite a while, nor will he be in the lineup any time soon I assume. Good conversation regardless

Look - he's taking steps. I hope he keeps taking them. I hope he makes appropriate amends with the victim. I hope he does advocacy work and has a great career in the NHL.

I just think drafting him is putting the cart before the horse at this time.

I apologized for it, dude. Cut me some slack :D

Pfffft. OK fine. :p

Look - he's taking steps. I hope he keeps taking them. I hope he makes appropriate amends with the victim. I hope he does advocacy work and has a great career in the NHL.

I just think drafting him is putting the cart before the horse at this time.

The last part I can understand for sure.

That's the statement they should've made in the first place...better late than never I suppose. A step in the right direction for sure. A good combination of what you, Keirik, and I discussed as the proper steps forward :cheers:

That's the statement they should've made in the first place...better late than never I suppose. A step in the right direction for sure. A good combination of what you, Keirik, and I discussed as the proper steps forward :cheers:

Let's hope they back up the words with actions. I still think this was cart-before-the-horse, but this is a good plan that will hopefully yield positive results.

what price did he pay exactly?

I'm not saying his life should be over because of this but like, this notion that dumb kids do dumb things and we should get over and move on ignores some realities. those realities being:

1) this is not a normal dumb kid mistake. It was the same deal when the kid drafted by Arizona turned out to have....'issues' from his past. It wasn't like some dumb young rebellious teen mistake, it was a VERY serious thing he did and wasn't some victimless crime.

2) there is a victim who has to live with this. "It's not like he raped anyone" but he practically did. She didn't consent to having herself sent out to strangers. He did something sexual in nature she didn't consent to.

We all did dumb shit as kids. In high school we used to throw snowballs at taxis. we used to ditch out of school and smoke weed in the park. we used to see whose parents were out of town and throw parties that got out of hand and did other dumb rebellious shit.

Logan's crime is not in that same league

I'm not saying his life should be over because of this but like, this notion that dumb kids do dumb things and we should get over and move on ignores some realities. those realities being:

1) this is not a normal dumb kid mistake. It was the same deal when the kid drafted by Arizona turned out to have....'issues' from his past. It wasn't like some dumb young rebellious teen mistake, it was a VERY serious thing he did and wasn't some victimless crime.

2) there is a victim who has to live with this. "It's not like he raped anyone" but he practically did. She didn't consent to having herself sent out to strangers. He did something sexual in nature she didn't consent to.

We all did dumb shit as kids. In high school we used to throw snowballs at taxis. we used to ditch out of school and smoke weed in the park. we used to see whose parents were out of town and throw parties that got out of hand and did other dumb rebellious shit.

and its not in the same league where he should be punished for it for the rest of his life. did the girl not have sex with him? Did she not allow him to take the pic? i just think its over the top

Trying to call what he did rape is just so off base.

and its not in the same league where he should be punished for it for the rest of his life. did the girl not have sex with him? Did she not allow him to take the pic? i just think its over the top

Pretty sure she did not have knowledge the picture was being taken, per the original report.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/nhl-draft-prospect-logan-mailloux-faces-uncertain-future-after-criminal-charge-in-sweden/

According to a 48-page investigation report from Sweden’s North Region Polisen, which was obtained by Daily Faceoff, Mailloux secretly photographed the victim without her consent or knowledge while engaging in oral sex.

Pretty sure she did not have knowledge the picture was being taken, per the original report.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/nhl-draft-prospect-logan-mailloux-faces-uncertain-future-after-criminal-charge-in-sweden/

she must've been really working it if she didnt see a phone in his hands. it is still not equivalent to rape or some sexual offense. He's an idiot for posting the pic

Trying to call what he did rape is just so off base.

its not too far off. i mean, she didn't consent to these images being shared. Don't minimize what he did. Of course there is always nuance and some crimes are always worse than others but to frame this as a 'well at least it wasn't rape' makes it seem like this is a normal thing that people just do and we should get over it. We shouldn't