• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CAR Sign Tony DeAngelo to 1-Year/$1M Contract

Phil

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. His political views don't even come into question. I really don't care what they are, he's just not a great person and has had problems going all the way back to his playing days as a youngster. This is nothing new. He's been known to be a malcontent, with fighting and homophobic and/or racial remarks. I remember the game after he got suspended and Panarin and someone else were basically mocking him punching and fighting on the way back to the locker room after a win. I'm sure there were some players who liked him, but I think that whole thing right there says quite a bit.

It was Shestyorkin and Panarin. For all we know they were fucking with Georgiev, who now wants to be traded....

Canes Twitter has been a virtual whinery over the last couple days. I like to know the ratio of threatened to actual season ticket cancelations. Dude starts with a very short leash.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Oh yea? I meant his burner. Its [emoji91]

He literally started a podcast that he tongue-in-cheek named "Watch Your Tone" designed to "own the libs."

He literally didn't. Did you listen to any of the episodes? Zero politics and all sports talk. His no name guests and friends were a fucking snore fest talking about baseball free agency, and other sports. He had Strome and Fox on one show. Guess they were owning libs together? Are we canceling Fox because he went on his show? Doubt it. Because you know the whole team hated him...

This made up "fact" bullshit is more of the same. People just decide to make up this stuff. Some here said he was an insurrectionist... How'd anyone come to that conclusion if he was off social media at the time?

Same way people can make shit up about what his podcast was about.

Same way he's a racist and stole Miller's puck because he used the N word as a teen (like every other teen at that time).

Same way he got fired for a "last straw" when there hasn't been documented "straws" to add up.

Is he a loud mouth jerk off? Sure. Seems like it. But that's not a fireable offense. Especially in sports, when much, much worse is forgiven. .

This is…uh…interesting

“It’s not always right but it is what it is” is not a quote I’d want to hear from anyone about anything tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that have to do with anything right now? Isn’t that years old?

What does that have to do with anything right now? Isn’t that years old?

Has to do with Tony DeAngelo? I had personally never seen it before, and it's circulating Hockey Reddit (since the outspoken Reddit Canes fans are still upset and threatening to cancel season tickets and so on). I knew of the stories of Tony's immaturity and racial slurs as a younger player in the league and while he was in Juniors. However this adds new context to it for me. So for anyone else who hasn't seen it, I figured I'd share. It adds context past the "being cancelled for supporting Trump" narrative that is really just a distraction from the more serious issues.

Has to do with Tony DeAngelo? I had personally never seen it before, and it's circulating Hockey Reddit (since the outspoken Reddit Canes fans are still upset and threatening to cancel season tickets and so on). I knew of the stories of Tony's immaturity and racial slurs as a younger player in the league and while he was in Juniors. However this adds new context to it for me. So for anyone else who hasn't seen it, I figured I'd share. It adds context past the "being cancelled for supporting Trump" narrative that is really just a distraction from the more serious issues.

An interview from 2014 really has no bearing on why he was dumped from the Rangers in 2021. I’m just not following the line of thinking but so be it.

An interview from 2014 really has no bearing on why he was dumped from the Rangers in 2021. I’m just not following the line of thinking but so be it.

I believe the line of thinking is that the dad basically admitted openly to using racist language. I'm not sure if that makes someone a racist in their heart, in that they really believe other races are inferior, or if they just use the language. For example,many of us grew up in a society where the word "f*ggot" had different connotations than it does today. I personally don't use it anymore, but I certainly did around friends when I was younger.

Anyway, I think the point is that if the dad openly admitted to using that kind of language without any desire to change, it's probably a safe assumption the environment Tony grew up in was one that encouraged the usage of racist words. Ergo, Tony has stripes on him that may not easily wash off. Of course, this was 7 years ago, so maybe the Dad has changed, and I don't want to assume, but man, for people like him it is ingrained over a lifetime and likely there to stay. Meanwhile, Tony has changed with respect to racial terminology or he wouldn't have progressed as far as he did in his hockey career.

At the same time, I, like probably many of us, differ from our parents on many things. To use Tony's dad as some kind of proof that Tony himself hasn't changed with respect to racial terminology is wrong. This current generation is very much about paying retribution for the sins of our fathers though, sadly.

Yup. And companies who employ you often have policies about social media use, including clauses that empower them to fire you for "abusing it" — be it using it too often, using it during working hours, or using it in a manner in which the company, who's brand is linked to yours so long as you remain employed, find distasteful, or damaging to said brand.

Free speech ≠ freedom from consequences from said speech. You can say whatever the holy hell you want. If you grab a bullhorn and start ranting in public about views people find abhorrent, don't be surprised when you lose your job over it.

Paging Sean Avery. Two time Ranger who called a black player a monkey and referred to an old girl friend as someones sloppy seconds. Had multiple on ice scandalsl multiple blow ups with coaches but was yet a TWO TIME Ranger. And guess what he was also a fan favorite to this fan base who is so offended by these same

actions by not 30 year old ADA like Avery was but a teen ADA. Avery also had multiple problems with teammates and you would be hard pressed to find other NHL players to speak highly of him unlike ADA. Yet what is the difference between ADA and Avery? You each get one guess?

Yup. And companies who employ you often have policies about social media use, including clauses that empower them to fire you for "abusing it" — be it using it too often, using it during working hours, or using it in a manner in which the company, who's brand is linked to yours so long as you remain employed, find distasteful, or damaging to said brand.

Free speech ≠ freedom from consequences from said speech. You can say whatever the holy hell you want. If you grab a bullhorn and start ranting in public about views people find abhorrent, don't be surprised when you lose your job over it.

Freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences? You don't have freedom of speech if you are threatened to stay quiet or else. Sorry but that's actually being a fascist. You know when corporations team with the government and people in power to quiet their opposition. Carry on though.

I take a two week vacation and come back to this. What happened to keeping the political thread out of the hockey threads? You guys discuss this stuff openly, do you really want to have this discussion or are you going to shut it down when it becomes to much for you to bare?

Bottom line is nobody knows why ADA was exiled for sure. It's all opinion and nobody is changing anyones opinion here.

Nah. There was a Twitter thread last week about my company. On my own time, I came very close to jumping in to tell some guy he didn't know what he was talking about. That thread ended up in a Politico article and not in a good way. If I had been in the middle of that story, it would have been a big negative for me at work.

Like my company, public relations affects the bottom line of nearly every sports team there is. Like it or not athletes are extensions of that PR department. If they get negative media, they are hurting the PR standing of the team and suffer for it just like I would have. Which is why the overwhelming majority of athletes don't have an issue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So I would expect Evander Kane to be exiled to the KHL for his abhorrent behavior to his wife and kids no less his the accusation of throwing games to win bets. However we all know that will not be the case because what's said on twitter is obviously much worse than what Kane did. Speaking of another Kane, sexual assault also takes a back seat to twitter. We can do this all day.

Professional sports has plenty of villains who do not get banned from playing. Say whatever you want nobody is ever going to convince me that ADA's actions reached the level of no return 2 periods or 4 games into the season after he just resigned to a massive contract. These front offices don't hard out contracts like that without a full analysis of the player. Look at Buch who was just traded because they didn't want to pay him close to what they gave ADA per year. The front office was good with the player that summer. People want us to believe 2 periods into the season ADA slammed a door and that was it, everything changed? Oh no the backup goalie punched ADA in the face not the other way around, that was it? What changed in those two months? What was happening around the country at fever pitch during those two months? What was painted on NBA courts? What was happening with the NFL, MLB, and NHL? Seattle, Portland? The politicalization of the sports industry was at it's peak. The Rangers were concerned about negative coverage and the "mostly peaceful" protests burning through their own city. They did not want or need a player speaking out against all those things happening around the city, leagues, etc. That is why he was exiled. Full stop.

• Like 1

We can all watch to see what happens to Evander Kane. He of the NHL Equity Council or whatever they call it. He who is of the council to tell everyone how racist the sport of hockey is as if he's someone with any moral or ethical compass to pass judgement on anything. Let's see how the Sharks, the NHL, twitter, and the media handle this guy. Should be good for a laugh

Great. Maybe stop using every mention of his name to insinuate that we all know the "real reason" he's gone? Or is that too much for you to bare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great Phil. I haven't been apart of this thread for two weeks and 5 pages of posts. So maybe it's more about you guys than me

That's actually not accurate. My company has a code of ethics training that I have to take and sign that says I represent the company at all times, even when I'm not working, and I am responsible for my own social media handles.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cablevision has one.

Sean Avery.

So fans in Carolina are threatening to give up their tickets why? Who are these fans? Are their political views from the left or right? Are they not political? I don't do twitter or reddit. Is their threats about ADA the hockey player or are they just so concerned about his locker room presence or his interactions with Rod that they are threatening to give up their tickets? Or is it about something else that they just cannot tolerate? And again is this tolerance problem from only one side of the political isle? Couldn't be.

Great Phil. I haven't been apart of this thread for two weeks and 5 pages of posts. So maybe it's more about you guys than me

I'm not the one relentlessly "politicizing" every mention of a player, doggedly going to the mat in his defense every time somone writes even the most innocuous of criticisms about him, and then using it as a sounding board to grandstand and grieve.

Like I said before, you believe whatever you want. But this isn't a political thread. If you want to continue posting in it, I'd strongly suggest you keep your arguments tied to the player and not Charlie Kirk talking points about "the left" and all your perceptions of politically-inspired hypocrisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro