• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Could One of Our Surplus of Wingers Play Center?

WWJD

Landeskog took ~500 faceoffs last year. Strome took ~750 and Zibanejad took ~1,000. So, he can but he's not a pure center. Chytil is dreadful on draws (he improved 4.5 pct pts last year...to 42%). Goodrow is a career 52% face-off winner, so I could see him as flexible on the 3rd line between center and wing. He only took 300 faceoffs last year.

Landeskog took ~500 faceoffs last year. Strome took ~750 and Zibanejad took ~1,000. So, he can but he's not a pure center. Chytil is dreadful on draws (he improved 4.5 pct pts last year...to 42%). Goodrow is a career 52% face-off winner, so I could see him as flexible on the 3rd line between center and wing. He only took 300 faceoffs last year.

I also see Goodrow as a Dominic Moore-type. Even playing wing, he'll almost always take the draw and then reposition on the fly.

I also see Goodrow as a Dominic Moore-type. Even playing wing, he'll almost always take the draw and then reposition on the fly.

If Chytil has a future, I think it's on the wing where he gets a bit more offensive and creative freedom. I could see Goodrow's crash and bang complementing that and opening up some space for him. I wouldn't mind that combo, with Kreider on the left or another speed/physical option on the right.

Chytil has to develop some sort of defensive game if he wants to be at all useful in that kind of role. He's frustrating because he displays a skill set that mirrors Zibanejad in some ways but he has none of Zibanejad's instincts or defensive ability. Quinn had wanted to use him on the penalty kill at the start of last season and then never did. I wish Chytil would be re-invented as more of a two-way type because it would at least give more use. The more I watch and think about him, he feels like Anisimov minus Anisimov's proclivity for defense.

If Chytil has a future, I think it's on the wing where he gets a bit more offensive and creative freedom. I could see Goodrow's crash and bang complementing that and opening up some space for him. I wouldn't mind that combo, with Kreider on the left or another speed/physical option on the right.

I agree on Chytil on the wing (he's a miserable center), but I don't agree with the idea of him with Goodrow. I think what Brooks has been saying is far more accurate — they're going to build their own Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck line to be a shit-disturbing presence. That's where Goodrow will earn his money. Chytil, if he's not traded, I think stands his best chance playing on a skill line.

I agree on Chytil on the wing (he's a miserable center), but I don't agree with the idea of him with Goodrow. I think what Brooks has been saying is far more accurate — they're going to build their own Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck line to be a shit-disturbing presence. That's where Goodrow will earn his money. Chytil, if he's not traded, I think stands his best chance playing on a skill line.

I'm not sure where Chytil fits then. Assuming our top 2 centers are Zibanejad and Strome, our top 2 RWs are Kakko and Kravtsov, and our top 3 LWs are Kreider, Laff, and Panarin, and then we have a banger line of Goodrow, Blais and one other...where does that fit Chytil? Is Goodrow's line more of a 3B than a traditional 4th? Tough to swallow that contract for a 4th line banger role.

The only way Chytil ends up on a skill line is if he's replacing Strome or knocking someone like Kakko out of the top six. Kakko with his newfound defensive prowess could probably play right wing on that line, but is that really where you want him playing? I think Chytil likely gets swapped for someone else if we're going by what Brooks has to say about the third line.

I'm not sure where Chytil fits then. Assuming our top 2 centers are Zibanejad and Strome, our top 2 RWs are Kakko and Kravtsov, and our top 3 LWs are Kreider, Laff, and Panarin, and then we have a banger line of Goodrow, Blais and one other...where does that fit Chytil? Is Goodrow's line more of a 3B than a traditional 4th? Tough to swallow that contract for a 4th line banger role.
The only way Chytil ends up on a skill line is if he's replacing Strome or knocking someone like Kakko out of the top six. Kakko with his newfound defensive prowess could probably play right wing on that line, but is that really where you want him playing? I think Chytil likely gets swapped for someone else if we're going by what Brooks has to say about the third line.
Why not Chytil replacing Buch on "show me" year?

Chytil ought to be given a shot at playing the 2c. He should still come cheap for the foreseeable future, so if he hits his stride and develops into a legit top 6, u still have some extra cash to sign the fox's, laf's, kakko's etc.

Chytil ought to be given a shot at playing the 2c. He should still come cheap for the foreseeable future, so if he hits his stride and develops into a legit top 6, u still have some extra cash to sign the fox's, laf's, kakko's etc.

Chytil needs to show that he can competently play center before he supplants Strome. He shouldn't be given a promotion when he hasn't fully grasped the position on the third line.

Somewhere in the top two RWs conversation. I'm not entirely convinced it'll be Kakko and Kravtsov only if Chytil moves to RW, too. If he isn't traded. Hell, Lafreniere could move right? Maybe Chytil moves left? It's really hard to project any of this without a clearer projection of who is here and who isn't.

That's putting Kakko or Kravtsov into a checking line role. While I think either could handle it, I'm not sure if that's the most ideal scenario for either of them.
I'm seeing Kakko on that 3RW as the offensive conscience/defense competent winger.

I'm seeing Kakko on that 3RW as the offensive conscience/defense competent winger.

In a world without Kreider on that line, I'm cool with that. My issue is that Goodrow is going to play like Goodrow, Kakko is going to play like Kakko, but what are you getting out of Kreider? Ideally, you need him crashing and banging, which is a style of play we haven't seen from Kreider for the better part of his career. As much as I'd like to think that Kreider finds himself again under Gallant, I think we continue to get the headache we've grown accustomed to watching. That's why I'm iffy about Kakko on that line. I feel like you want someone who's punishing along with Goodrow.

Somewhere in the top two RWs conversation. I'm not entirely convinced it'll be Kakko and Kravtsov only if Chytil moves to RW, too. If he isn't traded. Hell, Lafreniere could move right? Maybe Chytil moves left? It's really hard to project any of this without a clearer projection of who is here and who isn't.

I legitimately think they'll try Chytil at C after moving Strome, given the rumors around Strome and the absolute quiet around Chytil.

Will it pay off? Who knows - but Zibanejad wasn't all that different from Chytil his first couple of years. Markedly better at faceoffs though.

Not endorsing the idea - candidly I don't like it.

Giving someone a big contract, and then putting them in a different position is stupid.

Drafting a kid high, then giving him a new position is just as dumb.

I do think it's a little different with a guy like Landeskog, who gets the game, knows how to defend, and actually does play center in some capacities. I'll agree it's not the best idea, but it's not exactly harebrained.

Lafreniere or Chytil, though? Eh...the only benefit I'd see to switching sides is if they're actually going to play the triggerman. Neither really has a shooting propensity.

I legitimately think they'll try Chytil at C after moving Strome, given the rumors around Strome and the absolute quiet around Chytil.

Will it pay off? Who knows - but Zibanejad wasn't all that different from Chytil his first couple of years. Markedly better at faceoffs though.

Not endorsing the idea - candidly I don't like it.

I think this is what will happen too. Strome out. Chytil up. They might sign a 3C. Maybe a guy like Bonino?

All this talk about needing to open up ice time for Kakko and Kravtsov. Chytil's produced more than both. It's literally the same situation at C except even more pronounced that Chytil needs the minutes. Time to see what he's got. You don't trade him just to keep Strome one more year if you're not extending Strome.

I do think it's a little different with a guy like Landeskog, who gets the game, knows how to defend, and actually does play center in some capacities. I'll agree it's not the best idea, but it's not exactly harebrained.

Lafreniere or Chytil, though? Eh...the only benefit I'd see to switching sides is if they're actually going to play the triggerman. Neither really has a shooting propensity.

Chytil shoots at a higher amount than Zibanejad, which is a great necessity behind Strome

Lafreniere is certainly a set up man that likes dealing from his forehand without pulling up (Panarin)

I think this is what will happen too. Strome out. Chytil up. They might sign a 3C. Maybe a guy like Bonino?

All this talk about needing to open up ice time for Kakko and Kravtsov. Chytil's produced more than both. It's literally the same situation at C except even more pronounced that Chytil needs the minutes. Time to see what he's got. You don't trade him just to keep Strome one more year if you're not extending Strome.

I think if you're going to fuck w/Chytil at 2c, you need passers and space creators with him. He's a possession guy. Can't have him and Kakko fighting over the puck.