• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zibanejad Seeking 7-8 Years, $10M AAV on Next Contract

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. It's that he wants his deal though his thirties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's not even coming in high - that is literally his fair value based on his output. He's just coming in as unrealistic for like the last 4 years of the deal

Charge him for the no move and charge him for the 8th year. Should do the trick and be perfectly fair.

Hey Mika, $10m for 8 years is absurd, here's $8.5M + the C for 5 years, you bring a Cup wearing the C, you'll have #93 hanging in the rafters. Deal?!?!
You have that backwards. More like $10 x 5 or $8.125 x 8. Take $50 million and hope to sign another deal in 6 years or take a guaranteed $65 million and then retire.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He's not even coming in high - that is literally his fair value based on his output. He's just coming in as unrealistic for like the last 4 years of the deal

Charge him for the no move and charge him for the 8th year. Should do the trick and be perfectly fair.

It's also a negotiation tactic. If you want a deal in the range of say $8.5 million to $9 million, you don't ask for $8.5 million to $9 million — you ask for $10 million. Because the other side is going to make an offer near $7.5 to $8 million. This has been a principle of NHL free agency since, forever.

So, too, are these reports a form of negotiation. Players/agents, or even GMs, will routinely make public aspects of negotiation as leverage. Remember the fuckin' heel promo Slats cut on Stepan from Banff talking about how if he wanted max money he's not getting it, but if he wants to be part of the team moving forward he was happy to negotiate a fair value extension (I'm paraphrasing). Negotiation tactics.

It's also a negotiation tactic. If you want a deal in the range of say $8.5 million to $9 million, you don't ask for $8.5 million to $9 million — you ask for $10 million. Because the other side is going to make an offer near $7.5 to $8 million. This has been a principle of NHL free agency since, forever.

So, too, are these reports a form of negotiation. Players/agents, or even GMs, will routinely make public aspects of negotiation as leverage. Remember the fuckin' heel promo Slats cut on Stepan from Banff talking about how if he wanted max money he's not getting it, but if he wants to be part of the team moving forward he was happy to negotiate a fair value extension (I'm paraphrasing). Negotiation tactics.

Thinking back on it, that was a baller move by Sather.

Better hope Strome takes a 6x6 with this kind of $$ going to Zib. We are going to be hurting shortly with all these guys getting paid. Makes the Buch deal more understandable. We have cheaper options and they grew the team from another standpoint. I wouldn't want to be Drury right now. Tough decisions, banking on some unknowns.

Yeah, no negotiation starts with the exact price or term. Both parties give their extreme positions, then try to meet somewhere in the middle. I think we all need to take a pause and relax. Having said that, the specific center position is the most important negotiation(s) to get “team friendly” correct. If we truly truly believe in Kakko, ALF, Shesty, and Kravy, we cannot afford to end up with an anchor on center that eats up too much. Not on a team with Trouba, Panarin, Fox’ inevitable giant bump next year thanks to other GMs, and Kreider. We can’t just assume a Trouba or a Kreider might waive a NTC prior to 24/25.

Yea... This is how negotiations work. If he's asking for $10M they always start high.

More I think about it... Eichels injury makes me not want to have anything to do with him anyway.

Exactly my feelings here on both. If Zib plays hardball and sticks to his reported opening offer my feelings don't change on Eichel either. I'm going to hold onto the belief they will come to a more reasonable agreement with Mika.

If this is an opening of baragaining, , fine. But nobody is going to pay him that kind of money in those out years. And while Zib is a very productive player when you look at the stats at the end of the season, he has often dissappeared in big games. It's fun he scores a mess of goals vs. the shitbag Flyers, but he does nothing vs. the Bruins and the Isles. Know the counter is 5 goals vs the Caps 2 years ago, but that was the exception. The rule has been, as anonymous vets told the Athletic , hit him early in a game and he does nothing. At that price, let him play it out this season or trade him. Go have fun with some 2nd tier team and choke on your money.

I think it's worth hammering home that his ask in AAV is probably low for what he brings. His argument for taking up between 10 and 13 percent of the cap exists, and it's valid. Mika Zibanejad of the last 2-3 years, even with that painful early season slump of his this year, is an 8-11M player without question.

There are two very distinct problems to work around here. The first is quite obvious - he's on the wrong end of 26 to make that deal work for all 8 years. He will be worth 10m or so probably for 4 more years after this one - so 3 after the ink dries. How do you navigate those 2-5 years as he inevitably slows down?

The second is sneakier. Drury's opening the window this year - that much is obvious - and there are two distinct contention windows for the decade assuming that the birds in hand are indeed what we think they are. Window 1 is opening right now and is the "Panarin/Zib/Trouba" window - it "closes" around 2025-26 when the Panarin and Trouba deals expire. I use closes in quotes because that's when the baton gets handed to Fox/Laf/Kakko for the next window where they're the stars.

That philosophy might lead the Rangers to cap Zib at a 5 or 6 year deal.

I'm betting on Zibanejad here. I'm reading some of the options being thrown out in this thread and I'm disturbed by the alternatives people are coming up with. Assuming Eichel to the Rangers isn't going to happen, which feels more likely by the day, why are the Rangers just moving on from the best center they've had in two decades? I get that cost and term are prohibitive, but some of the options being thrown around wish they were as good as Zibanejad. I'd rather go with the devil I know. There aren't many centers that I think are better or that I'd move Zib for. He'll get something close to $9M and that's what he's earned.

I'm betting on Zibanejad here. I'm reading some of the options being thrown out in this thread and I'm disturbed by the alternatives people are coming up with. Assuming Eichel to the Rangers isn't going to happen, which feels more likely by the day, why are the Rangers just moving on from the best center they've had in two decades? I get that cost and term are prohibitive, but some of the options being thrown around wish they were as good as Zibanejad. I'd rather go with the devil I know. There aren't many centers that I think are better or that I'd move Zib for. He'll get something close to $9M and that's what he's earned.
8.5-9.0X6 is fair I think

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You willing to go 9 x 8?

You willing to go 9 x 8?

Yeah. I look around the league and there are guys earning $8M that have no business earning that much. $9M isn't going to seem like that high of a number in a few years as we see the cap rise. Salaries are still trending up despite the flat cap. The years are going to suck, but it's a calculated risk even with Zibanejad's injury history. As Phil likes to say, any player could be one hit away from a career-ending injury. The only logical alternative to Zibanejad as of the moment is Eichel and he has a neck issue that could just as easily keep him out. Toying around with trying to find a replacement could just push your competitive window back even further.

Yeah. I look around the league and there are guys earning $8M that have no business earning that much. $9M isn't going to seem like that high of a number in a few years as we see the cap rise. Salaries are still trending up despite the flat cap. The years are going to suck, but it's a calculated risk even with Zibanejad's injury history. As Phil likes to say, any player could be one hit away from a career-ending injury. The only logical alternative to Zibanejad as of the moment is Eichel and he has a neck issue that could just as easily keep him out. Toying around with trying to find a replacement could just push your competitive window back even further.

I might have to go with your line of thinking here. I was worried it might affect Kakko/Lafreniere, but I guess Panarin would probably roll off the books in time.

It does inhibit the ability to go long term for cheaper on those guys off their ELCs though. The rate the Avs were able to lock in Mackinnon for example, and still have that rate for another couple of years, was/is fantastic.

I might have to go with your line of thinking here. I was worried it might affect Kakko/Lafreniere, but I guess Panarin would probably roll off the books in time.

It does inhibit the ability to go long term for cheaper on those guys off their ELCs though. The rate the Avs were able to lock in Mackinnon for example, and still have that rate for another couple of years, was/is fantastic.

MacKinnon is such an outlier because he willingly undercut the standard and has indicated that he's willing to do so again.

Someone can ask why Zibanejad wouldn't be keen to a team-friendly discount and I'll point to the team's complete lack of loyalty to players of late. We've seen the unceremonious exit of the franchise's biggest star among a number of mainstays and players who were paid with the intention of being here for the long run. Shattenkirk took a "discount" to come here only to be kicked to the curb. Lundqvist and Staal were mainstays who were forced out. The last two captains were dealt. These were the right business decisions and they're part of the game, but it has to have some of the players wondering whether it could just as soon happen to them. The Rangers haven't exhibited anything that should make a player reciprocate any loyalty.

Gorton was known for being particularly cold with regard to negotiating with players. I don't know if Drury will really be any different. Zibanejad is going to want to be properly compensated.

Idk....you just have to wonder how much a couple more million really means.....seriously.....maybe being a middle class citizen has my brain fogged but it really wouldn't change my life whether I made 40 million career earnings or 90 million. Im investing 80% of my salary anyways so my money is making money regardless. I would be getting paid to play a game I love; pay me market average for my skillset if you are happy where you are and play the game. Priorities....