• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zibanejad Seeking 7-8 Years, $10M AAV on Next Contract

https://nypost.com/2021/07/24/rangers-mika-zibanejad-jack-eichel-conundrum-may-get-awkward/

We can report that there have been preliminary discussions between Drury and Zibanejad’s agent, Monir Kalgoum, who happens to be the center’s brother. Our best information at this point is that Zibanejad is seeking a deal that would be at least commensurate with the one under which Eichel is operating in Buffalo. That would entail a commitment of $10 million per year.

The money is one thing. But equally important is term. Zibanejad is going to turn 29 next April. The Rangers are believed to want to hold the contract to five or six years. The player is believed to be asking for seven or eight years.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Eichel is healthy, that changes everything obviously. And if Mika is looking for that, I think I might go Eichel. Atleast his contract takes him to his late-20s/early-30s. He will still be that type of player then. But Mika at age 37? And with his concussion issues? I’m not so sure.

That’s a tough one, but not totally unexpected.

I won’t flip out just yet since it’s preliminary but 10m won’t be possible with the other guys on this team currently with bigger contracts and a guy like Fox already winning the Norris that will deserve Makar’s contract more than Makar actually does.

I'm sorry but if you want to be in the leadership group of your team and win you cannot try and get every penny from your team. $10m a year is acting like COVID never happened. $10M a year is basically saying I want out and I could give a rats ass about ever winning shit.

Oooph. I'm going with a no. You either gotta go with Eichel or make a splash in free agency if anyone good makes it there next summer.

Barkov

Forsberg

Giroux

Maybe make a trade with cap strapped team in the same situation the Rangers were with Buchnevich?

Zibanejad is a good player. But is he in that elite range with the top centers in the league?

This makes the Buchnevich trade even more puzzling. They can't be entertaining that ask. So, where do they need all this money?

Lots of ways to figure this out maybe. Some of which are an immediate downgrade but the pendelum could swing the other way in short order. Zibs for:

1) ROR

2) Monahan/Lindholm

3) Horvat

4) Futures, sign FA (Danault?)

5) Stamkos (3 yrs 8.5M)

6) Pierre Luc Dubois

Who would Zib waive NMC for and/or which of these might sign him long term? The latter doesn't necessarily need to happen. I could see him waiving for Tampa but they can't afford him longer than the year.

Zibanejad is elite. The last 2 seasons to me are no fluke. The guy had 41 goals in 57 games. And then after a dreadful start, finished the season at an insane pace last year. He’s one of the best goal scorers in the league. His problem is timing right now. Is someone willing to pay a premium for someone who hit his prime maybe a little too late? Is someone willing to bet he’ll still be doing this in his late 30s? Will it be us? I don’t know.

But for the present, he certainly is elite. He’s not in that upper stratosphere with the McDavids and MacKinnons and Crosby’s of the world. But I don’t think it’s a reach to say he might be in that stratosphere below them. And that’s just based on his scoring ability alone.

Cant make a mistake like that again.

This business of paying guys huge dollars beyond age 34-35 has to stop.

It just never works out well. Like ever.

Cant do it.

Gotta talk him down to 5-6 seasons.

You can live with that and work with it.

Beyond that it kills you.

Zibanejad is elite. The last 2 seasons to me are no fluke. The guy had 41 goals in 57 games. And then after a dreadful start, finished the season at an insane pace last year. He’s one of the best goal scorers in the league. His problem is timing right now. Is someone willing to pay a premium for someone who hit his prime maybe a little too late? Is someone willing to bet he’ll still be doing this in his late 30s? Will it be us? I don’t know.

But for the present, he certainly is elite. He’s not in that upper stratosphere with the McDavids and MacKinnons and Crosby’s of the world. But I don’t think it’s a reach to say he might be in that stratosphere below them. And that’s just based on his scoring ability alone.

He’s not McDavid, and the other two make significantly less.

Well yeah. He's a first line player. But IMO, not elite. Notch below Tavares. Not McDavid, Crosby, Mackinnon, Mathews and those guys.

In what should be a flat cap tax, Zibanejad doesn't get those elite types of money (as Josh said some of them don't make elite money themselves ).

He's in that Giroux, Couture, Kuznetsov range of pay. 8ish.

They just broke up the line that got him into the question too (traded Buchnevich). There's talk of moving Kreider off his line as well... He's never had success like he's had without Kreider. People think Buch is replaceable and I don't doubt that, but that lines chemistry no doubt helped Zibanejad reach new heights.. Is that going to continue?

Well yeah. He's a first line player. But IMO, not elite. Notch below Tavares. Not McDavid, Crosby, Mackinnon, Mathews and those guys.

In what should be a flat cap tax, Zibanejad doesn't get those elite types of money (as Josh said some of them don't make elite money themselves ).

He's in that Giroux, Couture, Kuznetsov range of pay. 8ish.

They just broke up the line that got him into the question too (traded Buchnevich). There's talk of moving Kreider off his line as well... He's never had success like he's had without Kreider. People think Buch is replaceable and I don't doubt that, but that lines chemistry no doubt helped Zibanejad reach new heights.. Is that going to continue?

I’d argue Buch and Kreider benefit from playing with Mika more than he benefits from playing with them. Neither of those players are a 1st liner on a decent team.

Mikas not worth 10. Not at 29 years old and not for 8 years. But he’s the best player on the team and probably could get 10 on the open market from a desperate team. This is part of the issue of not having any center depth. We either have to ante up for Mika or go get someone equally as expensive because behind him we have Strome and Chytl and that’s it.