• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Rangers in the Market for a Goalie?

Phil

There is not a single reason not to trade that first-round pick in a bigger deal that brings the Rangers a difference-maker.

Right?

Well, maybe not. We’re actually hearing that the Rangers might actually — hold on now — be in the market for a goalie. Perhaps it is insurance against Igor Shesterkin’s progress flattening; he was inconsistent in his first full NHL season after an eye-popping half-season the year before. Or perhaps it’s insurance against Shesterkin being difficult to re-sign as a restricted free agent. Or perhaps it’s simply because the goalies behind Shesterkin, including Alexandar Georgiev, have hardly wowed anybody since Henrik Lundqvist departed.

One option would be to add a goalie through the draft — instead of using that first-rounder in a trade. Sebastian Cossa is seen as a first-rounder, and his name has been linked to the Rangers. He likely won’t be available when the Rangers pick, but the possibility could make Drury reluctant.

Rangers get their grit in Barclay Goodrow, but what’s next? A Jack Eichel trade? A first-round goalie? https://theathletic.com/2723874/2021/07/22/rangers-get-their-grit-in-barclay-goodrow-but-whats-next-a-jack-eichel-trade-a-first-round-goalie/?source=user_shared_article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If they make this pick and use it on a goalie, I’d be hard pressed not to can Drury on the spot.

I’ve been saying for awhile that I believe the best case for us is bringing in a reliable veteran for Shesterkin to lean on next year for advice and can make 25 starts. I’ve brought up Halak before, and I think he’d be a perfect fit.

I have no issue with it.

IF. If the pick is still owned by the Rangers tomorrow night, go BPA- it’s a middle of the round pick in a draft that has lots of question marks. If one of the top 2 goalies drop, it’s a great value pick. I’d love one of the higher ranked centers to drop, but either way, this pick is several years from helping the big club at the earliest.

I’d hate seeing a goalie drafted in the first round. I even hate goalies drafted in the 2nd round. It’s almost like a running back in football. You don’t really know what you’re getting until they develop well beyond their 18th birthday. What happened to the big Swedish kid we drafted in the 2nd round a couple ago? Lindblom I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d hate seeing a goalie drafted in the first round. I even hate goalies drafted in the 2nd round. It’s almost like a running back in football. You don’t really know what you’re getting until they develop well beyond their 18th birthday. What happened to the big Swedish kid we drafted in the 2nd round a couple ago? Lindblom I think

Agreed. The Rangers have an awful track record with goalies picked early. Richter was the last one to pan out.

Agreed. The Rangers have an awful track record with goalies picked early. Richter was the last one to pan out.

Excuse me, Al Montoya had...oh wait. Antoine Lafleur! Blackburn with that double blocker and career .894 sv% at least? Yeah I'd hard pass on any goalie early right now. Maybe in a few years as we see how Shesterkin's overall durability holds up.

Just BS rumors. Bullshitters gotta bullshit

Between the expansion draft and the entry draft, Carp and every hockey writer has to churn out content. Not a knock, a reality. It's a business. And if he's wrong, no downside anyway.

Curious; out of Huska, Wall and Lindbolm, no NHL goalies so far? Figure Igor is The Man, and fill in the rest rather than giving up assets. There are gonna be free agents.

Excuse me, Al Montoya had...oh wait. Antoine Lafleur! Blackburn with that double blocker and career .894 sv% at least? Yeah I'd hard pass on any goalie early right now. Maybe in a few years as we see how Shesterkin's overall durability holds up.

I think the interesting thing about this is that it's kind of changed from "don't take a goalie in the first round", to "don't take a goalie with a high pick". Nashville, Florida, and then whomever drafts the first goalie this year are testing that a bit. I wouldn't pass on the goalie if the goalie is the clear BPA, but it would be an organizational failure to not have moved this pick, IMO.

Did he put a question mark at the end of the article just incase the whole things bullshit?

If the Rangers were in the market for a goalie I don’t think it’s the worst thing but a first round goalie is a bitter pill to swallow. To me that’s a wasted pick, and that’s coming from a former goalie.

Between the expansion draft and the entry draft, Carp and every hockey writer has to churn out content. Not a knock, a reality. It's a business. And if he's wrong, no downside anyway.

Curious; out of Huska, Wall and Lindbolm, no NHL goalies so far? Figure Igor is The Man, and fill in the rest rather than giving up assets. There are gonna be free agents.

Wall and Huska can probably be backups. Lindbom is still just 21 (somehow!) - still an unknown. Ollas is heading to the NCAA this year. And I know they really like Garand. Regardless, the strategy we've used over the years of taking flyers on later picks and NCAA/FA signings around our cornerstone goalie has been wildly effective.

Seriously think - when is the last time the Rangers had true questions in goal? It's like the Baker/Weeks tandem days after JD moved on. It's been almost implausibly successful in spite of so many strange twists and turns.

Sometimes a goalie in the first is the right call -- Fleury, Price, Rask, Varlamov, Vasilevskiy -- but most of them are swing and a miss. Remember how highly-touted Jack Campbell was? Jake Oettinger? Pascal Leclaire? Chet Pickard?

I'd rather not. Just sign a backup. I'd sooner give Halak tandem money than draft a goalie at 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wall and Huska can probably be backups. Lindbom is still just 21 (somehow!) - still an unknown. Ollas is heading to the NCAA this year. And I know they really like Garand. Regardless, the strategy we've used over the years of taking flyers on later picks and NCAA/FA signings around our cornerstone goalie has been wildly effective.

Seriously think - when is the last time the Rangers had true questions in goal? It's like the Baker/Weeks tandem days after JD moved on. It's been almost implausibly successful in spite of so many strange twists and turns.

Rangers had a question mark in goal every year between Richter and Hank. Dunham, Markenen, Blackburn, Hebert, Weekes, etc. Hank was the first to actually stop a puck in several years.

Rangers had a question mark in goal every year between Richter and Hank. Dunham, Markenen, Blackburn, Hebert, Weekes, etc. Hank was the first to actually stop a puck in several years.

They did not, actually! Common misconception - the questions lasted for all of one season.

01-02, we had a clear plan to have Richter transition the crease to Blackburn. No questions - maybe questionable to have an 18 year old taking the reins like that, but no concerns over the future of the net being handed to a highly touted 10th overall pick.

The first season we really were without Richter was 02-03 - every season prior he started over half the games; this was his ostensibly career ending injury. Here's Mike Dunham's statline (sharing the crease with a 19 year old Dan Blackburn):

43 GP

19-17-5

.924%

2.29 GAA

That's just fine. Blackburn was still pretty raw at this point.

The next season was 03-04. Dunham collapsed like a neutron star. Blackburn suffered his nerve injury. We sold the house. Markkanen and Valiquette were the only netminders with >.91 save percentages. We drafted Montoya when it became apparent that Blackburn was never going to be the same, apparently somehow unaware of what we had in Sweden.

And then? Henrik.