• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Moving on from Brendan Smith as Depth Defenseman

Phil

very sad unless contract demands were out of whack - this guy is about as servicable as they come for depth D. Maybe he thinks he still has some top 4 work in the tank, which is obviously not true, but as a 6th d who can slot up to wing in a pinch, with grit and leadership? Not easy to find.

His tenure here was largely disappointing, but I do give him credit for being a good veteran to the latest infusion of youth that we’ve had. When we first acquired him, it was a good move and he played well to end that season and was good in the playoffs. After he got that extension, he obviously had several issues. But, he did rebound a bit and was able to be of help. I’m sure another team will find use for him as a depth defenseman. Good break up for both sides though I believe.

His tenure here was largely disappointing, but I do give him credit for being a good veteran to the latest infusion of youth that we’ve had. When we first acquired him, it was a good move and he played well to end that season and was good in the playoffs. After he got that extension, he obviously had several issues. But, he did rebound a bit and was able to be of help. I’m sure another team will find use for him as a depth defenseman. Good break up for both sides though I believe.

Curious to see what he eventually signs for.

Who wants the over/under on 1.1 million AAV?

I'm assuming it's in the 2-2.5 range because if it's 1.1 I'm very easily re-signing him. Who are you going to get that's better and cheaper in the role at 1.1?

Well "the role" is kind of the rub here. NHL teams simply don't sign 5-6-7 defensemen for more than ~1.5 million AAV. Look at Seattle who just expansion drafted what seems like 17 defensemen last night. Their 5th highest paid defensemen(Fleury) makes 1.3 million.

If I had to take a guess this probably comes down to Smith and his agent wanting to test the market to see if there was maybe a 3-4 role out there to get one last decent contract before having to settle for what he is offered based on the strength of last season. I know with the impending cap jeopardy of having to sign Fox & Shesterkin plus what big splash they make in the next couple of weeks, Rangers are probably looking for a little more value if they are going to pay someone that much for that role.

It was nice of him to be have a really nice year when he was due for a new contract, after not being very good prior. I didn't think they'd give him what he'd be looking for anyway. I liked him overall, but it's time.

not going to put to much blame on him. might have been the system he was in more than anything. was it a coincidence that he had such a good year under martin who seemed to have tightened up the pk as well? a likeable guy and looked to be a stand up guy in the locker room as well. hope he sticks around somewhere.

Kinda sad, to be honest. His best years were his first (before the contract) and the last. He'd be a good 7th dman. Wonder where he goes.

Smith came in that first year with his hair on fire - and we loved it. THEN, he got married over the summer and got fat to boot and what happened? Slow and useless. Yeah, we liked his effort of late but it was just not enough to keep him around. Bye-bye.

That relationship ran it's course. Glad he was good last year, he'll land somewhere. Probably LI haha.

And it was a fucking ride. It's fine they're moving on. I think we all agree he became an exemplary person again by the end but it's a depth spot. They shouldn't have trouble finding options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro