• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What About Morgan Barron?

jsm7302

Most of the Rangers' beat believe he'll win a spot in camp, which is the best you can hope of a player like him. He's almost certainly a fourth-liner at the NHL level, at least next season, but he's far from a lock. That's why there's "all this chatter" about bringing in grit and toughness to play against. The players they're getting are known commodities. Barron isn't, even if his on paper projection is attractive for many of the same reasons.

That lack of experience is why his name is written in pencil and Goodrow's in permanent ink.

Most of the Rangers' beat believe he'll win a spot in camp, which is the best you can hope of a player like him. He's almost certainly a fourth-liner at the NHL level, at least next season, but he's far from a lock. That's why there's "all this chatter" about bringing in grit and toughness to play against. The players they're getting are known commodities. Barron isn't, even if his on paper projection is attractive for many of the same reasons.

That lack of experience is why his name is written in pencil and Goodrow's in permanent ink.

And an argument can be made that the best way to develop Morgan Barron into the type of player he projects to be is to give him someone like Goodrow to learn from, play beside, and try to emulate.

• Like 1

And an argument can be made that the best way to develop Morgan Barron into the type of player he projects to be is to give him someone like Goodrow to learn from, play beside, and try to emulate.

Yup. He probably won't be an every day player, but like they did with Miller, there's arguably no better way to develop him into the guy you want than to play him with a strong veteran capable of showing him the way.

I liked what I saw from Barron last season, even if it was pretty much just a short stint. He's got some intangibles you just can't teach and that's a pretty good start. I like what AJ said about playing beside his "mentors". I think that'll help the maturity along faster in some cases.

Throw this guy on the 4th line with that defined role and without the threat of going back to the AHL. Let him learn and develop. But that begs the question as to why they protect Rooney in the draft. Not sure of the mentality there if Barron is in the thoughts of management.

Throw this guy on the 4th line with that defined role and without the threat of going back to the AHL. Let him learn and develop. But that begs the question as to why they protect Rooney in the draft. Not sure of the mentality there if Barron is in the thoughts of management.

I'm thinking he may not be "ready for Primetime" just yet, JSM. Soon, just not yet. Rooney isn't gonna hurt anything being here. Besides he can actually win a draw and play the PK. Rooney has one year left on his deal, and Barron may learn a few things from a grizzled vet like him.

• Like 1

I'm thinking he may not be "ready for Primetime" just yet, JSM. Soon, just not yet. Rooney isn't gonna hurt anything being here. Besides he can actually win a draw and play the PK. Rooney has one year left on his deal, and Barron may learn a few things from a grizzled vet like him.

Exactly this. If we've learned anything over the years it's don't bank on a rookie to fill a role. Having Rooney and Barron makes for a pretty strong fourth line.

Exactly this. If we've learned anything over the years it's don't bank on a rookie to fill a role. Having Rooney and Barron makes for a pretty strong fourth line.

I also think the timing couldn't be more perfect to bring a guy like Barron into the mix.

I hate to pin anything to coaching, but I really think a coach like Gallant can do wonders with a rookie like Barron. A specific role and responsibility for this kid. Gallant came up the same way, if I'm not mistaken; He was a later round pick though...like 5th or 6th....

Funny note: Detroit brought him up just in time to play against the Rangers in a game I went to back in high school, and he beat up Bob Brooke pretty well!!

Just don't ask Gallant about the Dirk Graham brawl the season after that!!! :rofl:

Whens the last time they had a prospect produce at a PPG clip in Hartford? I know it's a small sample but I don't think I've ever seen that

Anisimov

They had like corey Locke over a PPG, but I wouldn’t call him a prospect