• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Carp: Expect Rangers to Target Blake Coleman

Phil

The first reaction is probably that it’s too much term for a third/fourth liner. But the average annual value is better than I thought, and probably many thought, it would be. Certainly it’s an indicator of how high the price will be for the Rangers or any team to sign some of the other bottom-six “grit” forwards on the market — i.e. Blake Coleman (who I expect the Rangers to target) and Casey Cizikas. Free agency is always a game of over paying, and though we are shocked by contracts year after year, we really should be prepared for big-ticket signings when the market opens July 28

State of the Rangers before the drafts: GM Chris Drury on adding Barclay Goodrow, Kraken decisions and more https://theathletic.com/2716057/2021/07/19/state-of-the-rangers-before-the-drafts-gm-chris-drury-on-adding-barclay-goodrow-kraken-decisions-and-more/?source=user_shared_article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they'd get a bit younger. When you chase what the last guy did, you're years behind. You may use the recipe, but recycling the same ingredients doesnt make a cake.

Find the next Coleman or Cizikas.

• Like 1

I don't understand how. There must be some significant roster overhaul happening to clear both salary and spots in the lineup. I think this means that Kreider might be on the move in some capacity.

It's not really that complicated. Just need to move Buch and Strome.

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Chytil - Krav

Kreider - Goodrow - Coleman

Still would have plenty of cap to add a veteran D an a 4th line LW to play with Barron and Rooney.

you definitely do not need two of these guys. Super happy about one, not going to kill anything by overpaying a guy by marginally $1m. Two? That's a different story. $2m is the difference between Truba being great value and Truba being not great value. We can find a young winger to slot in next to Goodrow and Kreider who will learn a lot from playing with two veterans. We don't need a third. Look at what Keegan Kolesar did out in Vegas. Same idea.

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Chytil - Krav

Still would have plenty of cap to add a veteran D an a 4th line LW to play with Barron and Rooney.

That makes no sense to me. What are you trading Buchnevich and Strome for? Futures? That's a waste at the moment.

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Chytil - Krav

This makes your top 6 softer.

Gotta spread out the size and grit.

I wish they'd get a bit younger. When you chase what the last guy did, you're years behind. You may use the recipe, but recycling the same ingredients doesnt make a cake.

Exactly. I feel the same. The value in guys like this is destroyed by over paying them. They were largely found money for their previous teams, and now we'll be left holding the bag.

I mean, 1- they're already the youngest team in the league, and 2- you'd expect them to continue to draft kids in the Cuylle mold. They have 2 thirds and 3 fourths. You'd hope 1 of those 5 picks can turn into a 3rd liner. They already have the makings of a bruising 3rd line with Cuylle 19 years old 6'3" 204 and Barron 22 years old 6'4" 220.

I mean, 1- they're already the youngest team in the league, and 2- you'd expect them to continue to draft kids in the Cuylle mold. They have 2 thirds and 3 fourths. You'd hope 1 of those 5 picks can turn into a 3rd liner. They already have the makings of a bruising 3rd line with Cuylle 19 years old 6'3" 204 and Barron 22 years old 6'4" 220.

Fair point. We wanted to get more experienced and tougher to play against. This does exactly that.

This makes your top 6 softer.

Gotta spread out the size and grit.

Chytil is bigger than Strome. Kakko/Krav is equal to Buch and way bigger than Blackwell. Laf is going to be much more physical with a year under his belt and a full normal offseason. And these attributes are supposed to be amplified even more by Gallant's style.

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Chytil - Krav

Sure. But being more direct - the fuck did we get for them then!?

We're not liquidating Strome and Buch for futures, and we've got a 15 million dollar third line there.

They maybe have one in Cuylle, but yeah, I tend to agree, especially because when you try to buy the entire cake, you end up eating your fucking hat. Paying Goodrow $3.6 million is fine. Paying Coleman say $4.6 million is also fine. Paying both Goodrow and Coleman at the same time is fucking dangerous.

Lou overpaid massively for his 4th line but it became the best 4th line in hockey and really helped define the Islanders.

I'm not advocating "overpaying" anyone but I think this idea that your 3rd and 4th liners can just be AHL tweeners making league minimum has been debunked. It worries me to go after both Goodrow and Coleman in terms of price

(can't Barron get a look?)

It makes me laugh to go after all of Tampa's players they can't afford, but man, Coleman-type player is exactly what we're looking for there.

They maybe have one in Cuylle, but yeah, I tend to agree, especially because when you try to buy the entire cake, you end up eating your fucking hat. Paying Goodrow $3.6 million is fine. Paying Coleman say $4.6 million is also fine. Paying both Goodrow and Coleman at the same time is fucking dangerous.

I can't help it, If we're trading for a winger, I still want Greenway over Coleman. :thumbs:

Greenway becomes an arb eligible RFA after next season. With Minny buying out Parise and Suter, they'll have $12.75 million in dead cap and $14.75 million the 2 seasons after that. Maybe we can tease Minny with our #1 and a cost controlled player/ELC?

I'm not saying a 19 year old. But at least mid 20s. Not a guy hitting 30 with miles on his body only to overpay them to take dumb penalties every game.

There were also several drafts where they only took skilled Euros. Last year, they did a better job adding some Canadiens.

But again, this also goes back to not developing anything in Hartford.

Chytil is bigger than Strome. Kakko/Krav is equal to Buch and way bigger than Blackwell. Laf is going to be much more physical with a year under his belt and a full normal offseason. And these attributes are supposed to be amplified even more by Gallant's style.

I don't disagree with this, but going from Kreider to Lafreneire is still going to be a drop in your size and physicality. Same with going from Buchnevich to Kravtsov. I do hope Kakko and Lafreneire become harder to play against, and I also hope the system implemented helps this team, in general, be harder to walk through.

2 big things - having a big body on a line really opens up space for your skilled players. A guy like Kreider planting in front of the net gets attention, and opens up more space for linemates. 2.) I'd really love to keep skill on the 3rd line. Having a skilled 3rd line (with added size and grit) going up against a teams 3rd pair is going to be a huge benefits.

I'm not saying a 19 year old. But at least mid 20s. Not a guy hitting 30 with miles on his body only to overpay them to take dumb penalties every game.

There were also several drafts where they only took skilled Euros. Last year, they did a better job adding some Canadiens.

In all fairness none of the guys they've drafted recently have hit hartford, have they? Chytil was down for a bit and came up and played well, Anderson was/is a fucking head case... am I forgetting anyone?

Schneider had a cup of tea with hartford, kravtsov played well and came up/KHL

Every other prospect has gone straight to the NHL.

Unless you are reffering to the vinny lettieri's

Sure. But being more direct - the fuck did we get for them then!?

We're not liquidating Strome and Buch for futures, and we've got a 15 million dollar third line there.

Why not? We addressed the team needs and their roster spots with UFAs.

Maybe this is an opportunity to land a very high pick as a playoff team like Colorado trading Duchene in 2017 and ending up with the #4 overall 2 years later.

Maybe the future is 21 or 22 and just blocked in his current org, but fits the Cuylle/Barron mold.

$15 mil 3rd line is only for 3 years then Kreider is tradable.

We could also use a big physical veteran LD for the next 2ish years.

In all fairness none of the guys they've drafted recently have hit hartford, have they? Chytil was down for a bit and came up and played well, Anderson was/is a fucking head case... am I forgetting anyone?

Schneider had a cup of tea with hartford, kravtsov played well and came up/KHL

Every other prospect has gone straight to the NHL.

Unless you are reffering to the vinny lettieri's

To be honest, that Hartford team has had over 100 guys play for them in the past several years, and they’ve “produced” 23 pt Chytil, and... Barron for 3 games?

Jesper Fast player in Hartford in 2013. Kakko wasn’t even playing hockey in 2013.

Not sure what those past drafts have to do with this year's or future drafts. Drury was at least a part of drafting Cuylle and Schneider. No reason that doesn't continue.

To be honest, that Hartford team has had over 100 guys play for them, and they’ve “produced” 23 pt Chytil, and... Barron for 3 games?

Jesper Fast player in Hartford in 2013. Kakko wasn’t even playing hockey in 2013.

We've gone through this plenty of times. From 2013 to 2016 (four drafts) had had no first round picks and 2 seconds. Who was Hartford failing to develop during that time?

Developing 1 3rd liner, just 1, in the last 5 years would make a world of difference

It has to improve, I’m not denying that.

I just think drafting higher and more (which they’ve done recently) will help that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk