• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Strickland: Ryan Strome Drawing Trade Interest

Phil

Production, Production, Production. That's Stromes buzz word for the last 2 seasons. But it's the only part of his play that excelled. Does he finish his checks? Does he win important and timely faceoffs? Does he give up his body to block shots? Can he stay in front for screens, tip ins ? No, to all the aforementioned. Too soft. That's why he should be traded without even considering financials. His value is peaked right now, so move him now.

If we wanted a team full of Ryan Hollwegs and Blair Betts we should have brought back Torts who’s teams have overachieved at times but hasn’t won a cup since 03/04 in a very different NHlL.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Production, Production, Production. That's Stromes buzz word for the last 2 seasons. But it's the only part of his play that excelled. Does he finish his checks? Does he win important and timely faceoffs? Does he give up his body to block shots? Can he stay in front for screens, tip ins ? No, to all the aforementioned. Too soft. That's why he should be traded without even considering financials. His value is peaked right now, so move him now.
Ok, but if Zib slumps next season like he did this season (Covid non-related) who carries play down the lineup? Chytil? Kreider should be that guy with his contract but he's not. It'd be laf and kakko and maybe krav and they're a risk, a small one because of their talent and the eye test, but is it one management really wants to take when Strome's production was a wonderful surprise?

You want a guy that could do those things look at landeskog, and he wants the same as Zibanejad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This has to do with opportunities. Can Chytil carry the play? Maybe. Let's do a hypothetical. If ADA didn't flame out and was the PP1 quarterback for the season, would Fox have earned the Norris? Kakko looked good on the PP his first year but Quinn saw something different and went with Buch and Strome. Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, and Laf will hopefully be given more opportunity and ice time. And we should be able to answer these questions next season. I also think Buch will have a down year next season because he won't be with the same talent teet to suckle. Just speculation on my part but I cannot wait to see next season.

Chytil is 21 and a center. I get the arguments for moving him to wing but it does absolutely nothing to help this team since there’s already a glut of good prospects on both wings. With a proper coach I want to see if he can continue to develop as a center. Give him the opportunity if he doesn’t seize it then we know what we have. There’s always strome who can step in for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chytil is 21 and a center. I get the arguments for moving him to wing but it does absolutely nothing to help this team since there’s already a glut of good prospects on both wings. With a proper coach I want to see if he can continue to develop as a center. Give him the opportunity if he doesn’t seize it then we know what we have. There’s always strome who can step in for the time being.

We really have two paths with Chytil right now:

1 - Develop him into the 2C like madmen

2 - Deal him w/Strome or w/a Pick for the C depth we need.

If his future is "NHL Top 6 Wing" - he's fucked here.

I think his future is as a winger because, as we've seen, he's not the best center around. He could be a depth causality, and like you said, dealt for a more prominent need.

I don't really buy this narrative. He's shown nothing as a winger. He showed good progress as a center last season before getting hurt. Now, is he a top 2 center? I have no idea. But he's still only 21. Zib didn't break out until he was 26. If Chytil sticks around (which seems like a big if) he could possibly fill a massive hole in two years as the 2C.

I don't really buy this narrative. He's shown nothing as a winger. He showed good progress as a center last season before getting hurt. Now, is he a top 2 center? I have no idea. But he's still only 21. Zib didn't break out until he was 26. If Chytil sticks around (which seems like a big if) he could possibly fill a massive hole in two years as the 2C.

I hope so. With a new, better coach, all of these guys are kind of getting a clean slate this coming season anyway.

You develop him into a cost controlled 2C and it’s a huge win. If you trade for an asset there are cap issues to contend with.

I don’t know what the right answer is here but I don’t like him at wing simply because it’s not a need for the rangers.

This is where I'm at too. We need a wing right now like we need COVID. It's sink or swim this year for Chytil...if he even makes it to the regular season. I still think he's the odd man out here, but we'll see.

I really don't wanna trade Strome. I've been on the "Strome is Guuuuud" bandwagon with Pete and a few others since the season, and he's I think more of a solution than a problem. The issue is that both he AND Zibby come due next season....along with quite a few other big names including Fox.

I see the Center spot as arguably our weakest point, and Strome has been really good for us. It seems like Panarin thrives with him, and he's been a fairly good 2-way player as well. I'm hoping Drury finds a way to make this work out...

I thought this year was going to be hard....Shit! Next season we're gonna be losing our minds with RFA/UFA's!! LOL

This has to do with opportunities. Can Chytil carry the play? Maybe. Let's do a hypothetical. If ADA didn't flame out and was the PP1 quarterback for the season, would Fox have earned the Norris? Kakko looked good on the PP his first year but Quinn saw something different and went with Buch and Strome. Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, and Laf will hopefully be given more opportunity and ice time. And we should be able to answer these questions next season. I also think Buch will have a down year next season because he won't be with the same talent teet to suckle. Just speculation on my part but I cannot wait to see next season.
Agree. But what are we looking for from Chytil? We see the offensive skill just like we see Strome's. But Strome is trusted in big game situations which sometimes involve defensive responsibility. Can Chytil be the guy that Gallant can put out there in those situations? The training wheels are coming off very soon. Kakko especially and Laf have shown defensive acumen, I haven't seen that from Chytil although he has lacked ice time and is still young.

If Chytil puts it all together, his ceiling ia higher than Strome's, and he can be cost controlled for a longer period in time for Kakko, Laf, Krav, Miller etc to reach their primes as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If Calgary cleans house a bit, is Sean Monahan realistic? I think he'd be a nice fit.

Boy. Sam Bennett would really have been a HR get. His new contract is extremely fair and the guy really just needed to get out of Calgary. Jesus, he took less term and is only making 1 mill more than Goodrow.

Boy. Sam Bennett would really have been a HR get. His new contract is extremely fair and the guy really just needed to get out of Calgary. Jesus, he took less term and is only making 1 mill more than Goodrow.

We should of went after Trochek 2 years ago and Bennett last year.

And has none of the pedigree. He was dumped out of Calgary like trash.

Danault makes sense to me. Good on FO. 28 yrs old. His numbers would definitely get boosted with more ice time and Bread exposer. Has playoff experience. ✔✔✔

how does 34 year old Danault at $6M sound?

what? Surprised he's not an APT candidate.

Oh, I like the player, I just disagree with the narrative. He took less term because he doesn't have two rings and was dumped out of Calgary like trash.

What hurts most losing Strome is thinking about Lafreniere or Panarin playing with a defensive centerman.
Agree. Said it in another thread... The people who want Strome moved haven't mentioned any replacements who are better than Strome. Goes back to last year... Someone (forget who) was saying Domi was better than Strome.

It's naive to think you can put anyone with Panarin and they'll magically score more. Good players need to play with good players.

Again, the RWs on that line are scoring about 30 points. Guess Panarin only elevates the C on his line and not the RW?

Or maybe Strome is just better than people want to give credit.