• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Strickland: Ryan Strome Drawing Trade Interest

Phil

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are we talking about Logan Brown and or Connor Brown and not Josh Norris? Feels like Norris hits an actual need for us.

Operating under the assumption that Buch goes for a Center (Horvat), and that Ottawa would not be interested in trading Norris. Why would they?

Operating under the assumption that Buch goes for a Center (Horvat), and that Ottawa would not be interested in trading Norris. Why would they?

Fair but why on earth are we trading Strome for either Logan or Connor? Neither of them are so good that we should offer Strome in a deal for them. Logan offers size we don't have but may as well be in Liass territory, Connor is more of the same of what we have....I'm not seeing the sense in either of them.

Fair but why on earth are we trading Strome for either Logan or Connor? Neither of them are so good that we should offer Strome in a deal for them. Logan offers size we don't have but may as well be in Liass territory, Connor is more of the same of what we have....I'm not seeing the sense in either of them.

If they aren't re-signing Strome, he is a 1 year rental. That's the main reason why. It's not much different than the Buch situation.

Other GMs know who Strome has had the benefit of playing with. You won't get top 6 C return value for him when he's hitting UFA after the year on top of it.

If they aren't re-signing Strome, he is a 1 year rental. That's the main reason why. It's not much different than the Buch situation.

Other GMs know who Strome has had the benefit of playing with. You won't get top 6 C return value for him when he's hitting UFA after the year on top of it.

Alright, then we can wait til the deadline and hold an auction for him after yet another 55-ish points by the TDL season.

Getting Connor fuckin Brown as a return is laughable.

As long as it's not for someone like Brady Tkachuk.
Why? Even if he never gets more productive than 25-25-50, he's still big and physical. That production just makes him cheaper. With the recent rumors...

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Horvat - Krav

Tkachuk - Jenner - Kreider

Goodrow - Barron - Rooney

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

15th highest scoring center in the NHL in the last two years is worth an upjumped bottom 6er and a 2nd?

C'mon.

He's playing with Panarin at ES and the PP. He's playing with Fox, Zibanejad, and Panarin on the PP. He can hang, but put yourself in another GM's shoes. If Strome scored more than 45 points in Ottawa I'd be surprised.

Why? Even if he never gets more productive than 25-25-50, he's still big and physical. That production just makes him cheaper. With the recent rumors...

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Horvat - Krav

Tkachuk - Jenner - Kreider

Goodrow - Barron - Rooney

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I mean, that team is siiiick.

But no Chance they can keep all those guys under the cap restrictions

He's playing with Panarin at ES and the PP. He's playing with Fox, Zibanejad, and Panarin on the PP. He can hang, but put yourself in another GM's shoes. If Strome scored more than 45 points in Ottawa I'd be surprised.

So did Jesper Fast and he put up 20 points.

Any GM watching Strome knows he can play. Not a 70 pt guy, but at less than $5m per, he’s a steal

Our top 6 is not our problem. Why are we always looking to reinvent our biggest strength? We were in the top tier or goals scored last year while missing Ziby and Panarin for chunks of the year. Bottom 6 is our problem. Checkers, role players, and guys that give pk rests and win faceoffs. Fixing that keeps our top 6 playing minutes it’s suited for and keeps them fresh for important minutes. Unless someone is wowing me with a top 6 replacement that checks 2+ roles like a Tkachuk, I leave our top 6 alone as much as possible. Sometimes leadership arrives from within as time goes on from a group.
  • Like 1

Our top 6 is not our problem. Why are we always looking to reinvent our biggest strength? We were in the top tier or goals scored last year while missing Ziby and Panarin for chunks of the year. Bottom 6 is our problem. Checkers, role players, and guys that give pk rests and win faceoffs. Fixing that keeps our top 6 playing minutes it’s suited for and keeps them fresh for important minutes. Unless someone is wowing me with a top 6 replacement that checks 2+ roles like a Tkachuk, I leave our top 6 alone as much as possible. Sometimes leadership arrives from within as time goes on from a group.

I don’t think anyone disagrees (even if we get into bored board discussions over the summer). But all but Kreider is due a new contract within 2 seasons. That can’t sign Strome, Zibanejad and Buchnevich to long term contracts to turn around and complain about the bottom 6 under performing, again.

I don’t think anyone disagrees (even if we get into bored board discussions over the summer). But all but Kreider is due a new contract within 2 seasons. That can’t sign Strome, Zibanejad and Buchnevich to long term contracts to turn around and complain about the bottom 6 under performing, again.

That’s all true and I get that but we keep but I honestly believe our best chance to keep these core in the top 6 is to roll the dice and keep them together hoping they take a bit less from loyalty and flat cap. The moment you start bringing in others that also are going to need a new contract, you’re telling the remaining an attitude of being replaceable. That leads more to a fuck you pay me attitude. These are unique times in flat cap eras and we might just be able to benefit a bit by security over top dollar with guys already here.Bottom 6 are more interchangeable than top 6, especially in a time where mid tier players can’t look to cash in as easily.

Well if Buch like players are in the top 6 then keeping players like Kravtsov in the bottom 6 is essentially a waste of their time, this next year sure fine Krav can play on the 3rd line but if Buch is signed at 5+ Years then we are clearly trading Kakko or Krav... and if we're trading them whats it for? Certainly not a bottom 6 player but to boost the top 6. . . if we're keepin Buch and not dealing Krav or Kakko so we're looking at Kreider and Buch as 3rd line wingers down the road costing $12+ mil?

Well if Buch like players are in the top 6 then keeping players like Kravtsov in the bottom 6 is essentially a waste of their time, this next year sure fine Krav can play on the 3rd line but if Buch is signed at 5+ Years then we are clearly trading Kakko or Krav... and if we're trading them whats it for? Certainly not a bottom 6 player but to boost the top 6. . . if we're keepin Buch and not dealing Krav or Kakko so we're looking at Kreider and Buch as 3rd line wingers down the road costing $12+ mil?

Honestly, the simplest explanation for why we need to re-tool the top 6 is that we can't actually afford our current top 6 beyond 2021. Forget Kakko and Kravtsov and Lafreniere for a second:

Panarin makes 11.5

Kreider makes 6.5

Those are the constants. We have depth at LW for top 6 and bottom 6 - even beyond Lafreniere, we've got Goodrow, Gettinger, Cuylle, even Chytil if it really hits the fan.

Zib makes 5.3

Strome makes 4.5

These aren't constants - after next season, both of these guys are getting a bag. If we're lucky, they stay under 15 total, or we find a way to keep our 1c+2c salary total under 15m. There's also not much depth here right now - Chytil is next in line and he's not really looking like a center, Rooney can't jump up, Blackwell's a better wing, Barron probably projects as a wing, then you're hitting the crapshoot space.

Buchnevich is unsigned

Kakko and Kravtsov probably don't make more than 5m combined on their next deals.

Again, good depth here - even beyond those three, you've got Blackwell, you've got Pajuniemi and Ronning, a few of the NCAA guys we signed last year (Rueschoff and Richards)

We're probably adding something like 11 million to our expected top 6 spend next offseason - minimum. With the cap flat, we almost have to deal one of Strome or Buchnevich - if not both - in order to stay competitive. Sure, we could talk about Kreider here, but he's the least likely to move.

So did Jesper Fast and he put up 20 points.

Any GM watching Strome knows he can play. Not a 70 pt guy, but at less than $5m per, he’s a steal

I've seen this argument from Pete, but it doesn't get into the numbers enough. It's not really proof of anything. Fast didn't play the PP, so you can really only compare Strome and Fast's production at even strength.

Panarin-Strome-Fast played 454 minutes together at even strength. Panarin-Strome played 744 at even strength. Strome spent 290 more minutes with Panarin. There was only an ES point difference of 10 between Strome and Fast. If the minutes were turned around, I'd bet my house Fast would have had more ES points than Strome.

By the way, take a look at Panarin w/o Strome versus Strome w/o Panarin (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=ev&score=all&rate=n&team=NYR&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2019-10-02&td=2020-04-04&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478550&p2=8476458&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0).

Panarin w/ Strome: 1249 TOI, 50.61 CF %, 87 GF, 52 GA

Panarin w/o Strome: 567 TOI, 49.86 CF%, 45 GF, 25 GA

Strome w/o Panarin: 550 TOI, 44.68 CF%, 29 GF, 34 GA

There's no secret chemistry here. The chemistry is Panarin carries Strome.

Honestly, the simplest explanation for why we need to re-tool the top 6 is that we can't actually afford our current top 6 beyond 2021. Forget Kakko and Kravtsov and Lafreniere for a second:

Panarin makes 11.5

Kreider makes 6.5

Those are the constants. We have depth at LW for top 6 and bottom 6 - even beyond Lafreniere, we've got Goodrow, Gettinger, Cuylle, even Chytil if it really hits the fan.

Zib makes 5.3

Strome makes 4.5

These aren't constants - after next season, both of these guys are getting a bag. If we're lucky, they stay under 15 total, or we find a way to keep our 1c+2c salary total under 15m. There's also not much depth here right now - Chytil is next in line and he's not really looking like a center, Rooney can't jump up, Blackwell's a better wing, Barron probably projects as a wing, then you're hitting the crapshoot space.

Buchnevich is unsigned

Kakko and Kravtsov probably don't make more than 5m combined on their next deals.

Again, good depth here - even beyond those three, you've got Blackwell, you've got Pajuniemi and Ronning, a few of the NCAA guys we signed last year (Rueschoff and Richards)

We're probably adding something like 11 million to our expected top 6 spend next offseason - minimum. With the cap flat, we almost have to deal one of Strome or Buchnevich - if not both - in order to stay competitive. Sure, we could talk about Kreider here, but he's the least likely to move.

agreed on there, previous front office chose to keep Kreider over Buch by giving out that deal imo... i just dont see anyway to keep Buch around long term at anything over $4.5 which he will command.

Yes and no. Buch is an rfa and likely isn’t getting more than a 2 year. That gives two years for a guy to elevate his game to the point where it’s necessary to trade a Buch before he is a ufa. Strome and ziby are both centers and while they are going to take up cap space, any two top 6 will. I just have a feeling Zib and Strome will be cheaper than Zib and X unless x is Chytil. I’m note sold on him though and I personally think he’s a poor fit here especially at center.

Panarin makes 11.5

Kreider makes 6.5

Zib makes 5.3

Strome makes 4.5

Buchnevich is unsigned

Those are all strong points and is really are biggest problem. Cap space. However. If we look long term in the concept of around the league, I’m willing to bet a large chunk of teams have this exact problem sans the Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroits’ of the world. If you want to get rid of Buch to anticipate the future then that’s okay. However, it can’t really be for another contract since it essentially recreates the same problem. That is unless you get a cost controlled diamond in the rough guy signed long term for a bargain which is rarer than my wife staying awake past 9pm. I still believe that next offseason’s flat cap for another year is going to reduce salaries for top ceiling deals even more.

I guess my point is that I really don’t want to see us look to replace our top 6 with guys from outside when we have a formidable one now and guys in the wing. If you want to say goodbye to Buch because you believe Kakko is ready in year 3 then I’m all on board. I’m just not on board with obtaining another guy not already here.