• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Protection List Released; Blackwell, Gauthier, DeAngelo, Kinkaid Exposed

Phil

I am surprised, as I, like many posters, would have protected Goat or Blackwell over Rooney. It is true that losing Rooney would create a hole that would have to be filled over the summer, but on the other hand, I don't see Rooney as a long term answer as the 4th center. We need an upgrade from Rooney at that position.

It will be interesting to see whether they take Goat or Blackwell.

I am surprised, as I, like many posters, would have protected Goat or Blackwell over Rooney. It is true that losing Rooney would create a hole that would have to be filled over the summer, but on the other hand, I don't see Rooney as a long term answer as the 4th center. We need an upgrade from Rooney at that position.

It will be interesting to see whether they take Goat or Blackwell.

To be fair, Rooney didn’t play much center for us. He is an immediate upgrade over howden.

No, but he's a pending UFA so it's kind of a waste for Seattle to take him.

Unless they can negotiate a deal with him over the next three days. Considering he's reportedly already close to a deal with the Rangers, it's probably as simple as them checking in and him saying that he's not interested.

Unless they can negotiate a deal with him over the next three days. Considering he's reportedly already close to a deal with the Rangers, it's probably as simple as them checking in and him saying that he's not interested.

I hope they can if the $4M AAV number is true.

Protecting Rooney is telling of the Rangers center depth. Seattle takes Gauthier in my opinion. He actually possess Alex Tuch like traits. Up to him to make something of himself but he has the talent

I'd like to see Blackwell or Kinky taken in the draft, for some reason I still think Goat might have something in him that Gallant and playing on the 3rd line (or higher) could bring out of him. So if Buch does go for Horvat or some non-RW and Goat isn't taken, I hope to see him at least on the 3rd line and given a real opportunity. Also a potential 3rd line of Kreider - Horvat - Gauthier makes me kinda excited

If Gauthier could have a bit more finish, he'd be golden. It seems to me like he doesn't have the greatest hands in the world, but mostly I think he's just snake bitten. I lost count on how many times his shot would hit the post. If Seattle does take any of the Rangers' players, I'll be really surprised if it isn't him, though.

He took nearly 200 more faceoffs than Howden so I think it's fair to say that he played quite a bit of center. He played mostly wing down the final stretch.

Chris Kreider also took faceoffs, doesn't mean he was a center. It means our centers suck at faceoffs. He took faceoffs for Howden or in defensive positions

If Gauthier could have a bit more finish, he'd be golden. It seems to me like he doesn't have the greatest hands in the world, but mostly I think he's just snake bitten. I lost count on how many times his shot would hit the post. If Seattle does take any of the Rangers' players, I'll be really surprised if it isn't him, though.

Gauthier would be fine offensively if he was given a bigger role. His issue was off the puck, he was a fish out of water in the defensive zone and Quinn just seemed frustrated with him making the same mistakes.

He wasn’t wrong but about that- I just thought his leash was extremely short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gauthier would be fine offensively if he was given a bigger role. His issue was off the puck, he was a fish out of water in the defensive zone and Quinn just seemed frustrated with him making the same mistakes.

He wasn’t wrong but about that- I just thought his leash was extremely short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byproduct of him playing a role that he’s not suited for, hence the ineffectiveness and short leash.

He’s a kid who’s skill set is on the offensive side of the game.

Not too likely he becomes an effective and valuable player playing a bottom-6 role with bottom-6 minutes.

Unfortunately, at present he’s pretty well blocked from getting more.

Chris Kreider also took faceoffs, doesn't mean he was a center. It means our centers suck at faceoffs. He took faceoffs for Howden or in defensive positions

This.

That gets missed often.

People point to the fact that Landeskog has taken something like 2000 faceoffs over the last 4 seasons and won 54% of them. But that doesn’t make him a C nor does he actually play the position. Colorado just utilizes him to take faceoffs because he just happens to be a winger who is good in the faceoff circle. But in practical terms, he’s a W. Not a C.

Not even remotely a comparison. Kreider took 75 faceoffs all season. Rooney took 438, third on the team, to Howden's 253.

So are you telling me Howden was playing wing? I don't know what your point is here, other than Rooney took faceoffs. Our centers this past season were Zib, Strome, Chytil and Howden. Chytil was hurt and Rooney moved into the 4th line center for a minute, but he mostly played 4th line wing and took faceoffs for Chytil and Howden in defensive positions.

So are you telling me Howden was playing wing? I don't know what your point is here, other than Rooney took faceoffs. Our centers this past season were Zib, Strome, Chytil and Howden. Chytil was hurt and Rooney moved into the 4th line center for a minute, but he mostly played 4th line wing and took faceoffs for Chytil and Howden in defensive positions.

What's my point? My point is that Rooney played center which you said he didn't play much of and that's wrong. You can look at the lineups through the season. Both Howden and Rooney were alternated at wing and center. Rooney got a lot more time at center than you remember considering Howden, and Chytil were out at various points.