• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Rights to Barclay Goodrow from TBL for a 2022 7th

LindG1000

Gourde would almost certainly been available for one of our young non-draft eligible defensemen or a 1st rounder (or maybe a 2d rounder plus some spare parts). He could have been protected and Rooney left unprotected.

I and many other posters were agitating for that kind of deal. Drury just didn't come through.

I suspect that Drury expected Cernak to be the one left unprotected, but he sure should have inquired. Maybe he did. Who knows.

We'll see about side deals. There obviously will have been one if Johnson ends up in Seattle, but I'm not sure if such a side deal would have allowed them to keep Gourde. They are, of course, seriously cap stressed.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From The Athletic for those of us that have a subscription:

https://theathletic.com/2716057/2021/07/19/state-of-the-rangers-before-the-drafts-gm-chris-drury-on-adding-barclay-goodrow-kraken-decisions-and-more/

If accurate, my 1st reaction was to barf at the idea of 3.6 million X 6 years. Thinking it through, the cap hit is definitely an overpay of about 1 million dollars which I would not have as much of an issue with if the term was 3-4 years as they will very much still be in their window. 6 years will take him to 34 years old, so you have to ask yourself is this just another deal that will not age gracefully?

6x3.6 is a bit much in term and $$. Not sure how that vets out. Seems like an overreaction to fix this problem; better hope we have the farm to sustain our bottom 6 to keep it cost controlled over those 6 years because a lot of players will command more cash who bring more to the table. This is interesting.....

He's going to be 34 when this contract expires, which isnt even all that old, and if he deteriorates quickly before that, there is no NMC or NTC so I dont get why term is such a problem for people. You send him to the minors worst case scenario. The AAV is much more worrisome because it can limit who else they sign/re-sign in the short term.

Gourde would almost certainly been available for one of our young non-draft eligible defensemen or a 1st rounder (or maybe a 2d rounder plus some spare parts). He could have been protected and Rooney left unprotected.

I and many other posters were agitating for that kind of deal. Drury just didn't come through.

I suspect that Drury expected Cernak to be the one left unprotected, but he sure should have inquired. Maybe he did. Who knows.

We'll see about side deals. There obviously will have been one if Johnson ends up in Seattle, but I'm not sure if such a side deal would have allowed them to keep Gourde. They are, of course, seriously cap stressed.

I think the greater point is that Gourde is probably not as easily available as people thought he was. They desperately need him, especially Seattle claims Johnson and takes Palat/Killorn as the bribe.

If we can be direct and honest about Tampa's cap situation - they're 3.5m over the cap for next year, with 11 F, 5D, 1G on the books. Seattle will claim someone who makes at LEAST 4.5. Cal Foote will be the 6th D - that's probably not more than a league minimum deal.

Back at cap, with 2F and 1G to figure out. They need to make one move to clear ~3.25M (the forwards will be Colton, Barre-Boulet. The G will be a league min deal)

They're not near as fucked as people think they are; they're just in line to lose a good deal of depth.

Im kind of holding out hope that that deal is smoke and mirrors from the rangers front office.

Maybe Seattle doesn't like anyone we have. Maybe they figure, lets take Goodrow and see if we can negotiate a deal before the 28th. But if they see that big of a number for that many years, than maybe they think "well shit we wouldn't offer him that much, lets take Gauthier instead"

This seems unlikely but we can hope.

Even if that is the deal, its not an insane backbreaking deal. Nashville gave that much term to Sissons. Comparable player but Goodrow is definitely worth a bit more on playoff experience. Don't love the term but its not the end of the world

From The Athletic for those of us that have a subscription:

https://theathletic.com/2716057/2021/07/19/state-of-the-rangers-before-the-drafts-gm-chris-drury-on-adding-barclay-goodrow-kraken-decisions-and-more/

If accurate, my 1st reaction was to barf at the idea of 3.6 million X 6 years. Thinking it through, the cap hit is definitely an overpay of about 1 million dollars which I would not have as much of an issue with if the term was 3-4 years as they will very much still be in their window. 6 years will take him to 34 years old, so you have to ask yourself is this just another deal that will not age gracefully?

Maybe/probably, but there are degrees to "not gracefully." The hope would be a non-Callahan-like decline where he's constantly injured and attempting comebacks so you really never benefit from LTIR and are constantly juggling forward combinations as he's in and out of the lineup.

I think the greater point is that Gourde is probably not as easily available as people thought he was. They desperately need him, especially Seattle claims Johnson and takes Palat/Killorn as the bribe.

If we can be direct and honest about Tampa's cap situation - they're 3.5m over the cap for next year, with 11 F, 5D, 1G on the books. Seattle will claim someone who makes at LEAST 4.5. Cal Foote will be the 6th D - that's probably not more than a league minimum deal.

Back at cap, with 2F and 1G to figure out. They need to make one move to clear ~3.25M (the forwards will be Colton, Barre-Boulet. The G will be a league min deal)

They're not near as fucked as people think they are; they're just in line to lose a good deal of depth.

Right, and they have some reserves ready to pencil in. Mathieu Joseph, for example, is very likely Killorn/Goodrow's replacement next season.

But it's too easy to see how they strike a quality side deal to keep Gourde and lose a combination like you mentioned (SEA claims Johnson for the price of taking Killorn/Palat).

For references RE: decline, at age 27 Cally had played about 7400 minutes. Goodrow is at about 4000. That us the biggest factor for wear and tear vs. Age and games played. Additionally, being 4 inches and 20 lbs bigger than Cally, Goodrow is on the "winning" end of collisions more than Cally was.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

how long will the flat-cap' last? I wonder if, once it starts going back up, the recent TV deals will be a huge boost to the cap. this type of deal won't look as bad if it needs to be bought out and the cap has gone up significantly anyway

I don't think it's going to be as long as people originally said. Full season next year. Full arenas. New expansion cash to 30 teams. I really don't think it's gonna be as bad as originally stated.

For references RE: decline, at age 27 Cally had played about 7400 minutes. Goodrow is at about 4000. That us the biggest factor for wear and tear vs. Age and games played. Additionally, being 4 inches and 20 lbs bigger than Cally, Goodrow is on the "winning" end of collisions more than Cally was.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He missed a bunch of games after this game.

Right, and they have some reserves ready to pencil in. Mathieu Joseph, for example, is very likely Killorn/Goodrow's replacement next season.

But it's too easy to see how they strike a quality side deal to keep Gourde and lose a combination like you mentioned (SEA claims Johnson for the price of taking Killorn/Palat).

Yup, which of course brings us back to the original point that getting Gourde for a 1st straight up or a 2nd+prospect was probably not in the cards.

Nor would Gourde have addressed any of our needs besides cost certainty at C.

Yup, which of course brings us back to the original point that getting Gourde for a 1st straight up or a 2nd+prospect was probably not in the cards.

Nor would Gourde have addressed any of our needs besides cost certainty at C.

How would Gourde not address the Rangers needs?

Gourde definitely addresses needs, it's just not clear yet if he's actually available. It's entirely likely the scenario Mike has illustrated is accurate — that Tampa exposed him simply to meet requirements and will be paying Seattle expressly not to select him, but one of Killorn or Johnson instead.

Gourde definitely addresses needs, it's just not clear yet if he's actually available. It's entirely likely the scenario Mike has illustrated is accurate — that Tampa exposed him simply to meet requirements and will be paying Seattle expressly not to select him, but one of Killorn or Johnson instead.

I also see him as less of a solution to our needs and more of a replacement for Strome that has playoff experience. He's small, not overly physical, not really great at faceoffs, but he's tough and knows how to score. That feels like an upgrade on Strome - but again, not a need I'd be aggressively pursuing before other avenues.

I also see him as less of a solution to our needs and more of a replacement for Strome that has playoff experience. He's small, not overly physical, not really great at faceoffs, but he's tough and knows how to score. That feels like an upgrade on Strome - but again, not a need I'd be aggressively pursuing before other avenues.

He’s a def upgrade in the sense offensively he’s a better goal scorer technically since he’s twice potted 20+ goals. He’s also cap controlled reasonably but he’s a bit past prime on a bell curve. Leadership is a wash. Strome is a leader for us in my mind. I’d pursue it simply because it gives a better picture from a cap perspective but all being equal I’d prefer a hungry Strome to a guy who never played here.

Right. He's pesky Ryan Strome.

Don't really see his style meshing with Panarin.

Wait who said Gourde to replace Strome? I'm replacing Chytil with Gourde and playing him on the third line. He addresses needs big time. He's tough and a pain in the ass to play against. He's productive and picks it up even more come playoffs. He's the perfect fit for a third kine center on this team if there ever was one.

It is possible that is true. But Mike said he doesn't address any Rangers needs which in my opinion is flat out false. Also even if that scenario is true, Tampa is trading other assets to secure their rights to Gourde. Maybe they would change course if the Rangers offered them something to think about.

Regardless this is probably all out now anyway with Goodrow getting $4m a year. I just think acquiring Gourde even at the cost of a prospect or pick (aav $5m) is a better fit than Goodrow. And I like the addition of Goodrow.

Wait who said Gourde to replace Strome? I'm replacing Chytil with Gourde and playing him on the third line. He addresses needs big time. He's tough and a pain in the ass to play against. He's productive and picks it up even more come playoffs. He's the perfect fit for a third kine center on this team if there ever was one.

How are you keeping Strome and paying Gourde 5m too ? Chytil isn’t getting a big bump regardless in this coming contract so they aren’t remotely an even swap