• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Julien Gauthier to 1-Year, Two-Way Extension; $775K (NHL) AAV

Phil

I really would like to see him under Gallant. I just have a feeling this kid has it....

Agree. If I'm Seattle, I'm hoping he's exposed. He's got untapped potential as far as I'm concerned. Never really was given a fair shake by the last coaching staff. It's a crowded lineup but I think he could be something if given a real shot (not 4th line 7 minutes a game shit)

I just see a sizable, speedy player that can play tough....

If Gallant gives this kid a role, I think he's EXACTLY the type guy we need without having to spend assets on or overpay for.

Now...if he was only a Center!! ;)

Travesty if they protect Howden over him. Howden has 178 NHL games under his belt; Goat 47. The latter warrants more of a chance to prove himself, especially under a different coach. There may be less of a 50-50 chance that Goat turns out to be a viable top six player, but there's as good of a chance of that happening as there is of Howden proving to be a viable bottom sixer.

Howden or Gauthier, either way you'll always be disappointed.

He's just hockey stupid, in a sense that what worked for him in lower leagues isn't working here, and he isn't adjusting.

Fair point. You have to wonder why the Canes, who were well aware of his tools, gave up on him without much of an NHL tryout. He's only preferable in the sense that the alternative is Howden.

I'm still waiting for Drury to make a deal for a player better than either Goat or Howden and leave both unprotected, and I won't be impressed if he fails to do so.

If you're the Rangers, who would you prefer out of the 2 of them?

If you're Seattle, which one would you take?

If you are Seattle, you take Gauthier.

The expansion pick from the Rangers is going to be a depth player, at best. Gauthier has the 2 way contract (saves a first year team some money), but he's also has more potential to "boom". We know Howden isn't going to be a top 6 guy. Gauthier - probably not, but could compliment a line with his size, speed and shot. Unfortunately, Rangers walked into Kakko and Lafreniere, Kravtsov came back, Kreider was re-signed (the next day?) and Buchnevich rounded out his game and consistency.

Gauthier was a guy that I liked going into that deadline (not as much as Dunny), but he hasnt done anything in NY, even with limited time. It's not much of a loss to them, at this point.

The expansion pick from the Rangers is going to be a depth player, at best. Gauthier has the 2 way contract (saves a first year team some money), but he's also has more potential to "boom". We know Howden isn't going to be a top 6 guy. Gauthier - probably not, but could compliment a line with his size, speed and shot. Unfortunately, Rangers walked into Kakko and Lafreniere, Kravtsov came back, Kreider was re-signed (the next day?) and Buchnevich rounded out his game and consistency.

Gauthier was a guy that I liked going into that deadline (not as much as Dunny), but he hasnt done anything in NY, even with limited time. It's not much of a loss to them, at this point.

There's also less "there" with Gauthier in the sense he's only played like a handful of NHL games. Howden is a pretty well known experiment. Speaks to the potential "boom" even more re: Gauthier. If I'm gambling, I'm taking Gauthier every time.

That's about as accurate as it gets, man!! Can't disagree on any of those points.

The 2 way contract is the kicker in that one...Howden's I think is one-way.

This. He's not what's wrong with anything on the team, and he's the best player out of the bunch we could expose.

We've discussed plenty of times about late bloomers. If they think Blackwell is one and it wasn't a fluke, you protect him. I'm not sure whether it was or not, but if that's how the Rangers feel and how Gallant feels after watching tape, they should stand by it and keep him. My only gripe is even if they are right, they probably couldn't afford a big raise on him after next year.

We've discussed plenty of times about late bloomers. If they think Blackwell is one and it wasn't a fluke, you protect him. I'm not sure whether it was or not, but if that's how the Rangers feel and how Gallant feels after watching tape, they should stand by it and keep him. My only gripe is even if they are right, they probably couldn't afford a big raise on him after next year.
Fair, but I'd rather protect players who are already good, instead of players who are young and we hope get good.

We are not an old team

Blackwell will probably not get as much top 6 time as he did this past season and will probably not put up big enough numbers to become expensive. Look at what Fast makes after multiple years as the players' player. There is a good argument for making him the one to protect, although I won't be upset if they choose to protect Goat.