• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tarasenko Requests Trade from Blues; Rangers an Option?

This team needs vet leadership that has been there and done that. Unfortunately that comes with saying good bye to some pieces we have come to enjoy watching. Buch is a high price for an oft injured winger though. I think the offer for him goes in at Gauthier, Hajek and a second.

Who's tougher a healthy Tarasenko or Buch?

This is coming from someone who thought Buch was going to be no more than a 3rd liner a season or season and half ago; I would not trade Buch straight up for Tarasenko.

1) Tarasenko's injuries scare me too much. Just seems like one of those injuries that is 1 good hit away from ending it all.

2)How many effing wingers do we need? Doesnt address a need, just swaps the personnel on the current dilemma.

3) The time to have gotten Tarasenko was in 2010, instead of Dylan "The Terminator" Mcilrath. ::sobs quietly::

This is coming from someone who thought Buch was going to be no more than a 3rd liner a season or season and half ago; I would not trade Buch straight up for Tarasenko.

1) Tarasenko's injuries scare me too much. Just seems like one of those injuries that is 1 good hit away from ending it all.

2)How many effing wingers do we need? Doesnt address a need, just swaps the personnel on the current dilemma.

3) The time to have gotten Tarasenko was in 2010, instead of Dylan "The Terminator" Mcilrath. ::sobs quietly::

1 - STL is readily making Tarasenko's health history available, and all reports are that he's at 100%. The repeated shoulder separations should scare us some, but they're going to impact his rarely used slapshot more than anything else. Pete had the data on slapshots - Tarasenko's scored like 2% of his goals from slappers. Not a big deal.

2 - Tarasenko addresses a need in that he's not a perimeter player, he's a big body, he's hard to play against, is a locker-room leader, and he's as good a playmaker as he is a scorer. That ticks pretty much every box except "will fight". He's also got the distinct advantage of having just two years remaining on his contract - perfect timing for us.

3 - We know. We know.

1 - STL is readily making Tarasenko's health history available, and all reports are that he's at 100%. The repeated shoulder separations should scare us some, but they're going to impact his rarely used slapshot more than anything else. Pete had the data on slapshots - Tarasenko's scored like 2% of his goals from slappers. Not a big deal.

2 - Tarasenko addresses a need in that he's not a perimeter player, he's a big body, he's hard to play against, is a locker-room leader, and he's as good a playmaker as he is a scorer. That ticks pretty much every box except "will fight". He's also got the distinct advantage of having just two years remaining on his contract - perfect timing for us.

3 - We know. We know.

This is the part that really makes me think that a trade like this is a decent "Hockey trade" for us, and fits a lot more in line with what we're looking for.

I still think Buch is a sell high guy....I'm not sure if he's totally topped out, but I wouldn't roll the dice on him much further. To me he's the perfect guy, at the perfect time to trade to fill some needs.

This is the part that really makes me think that a trade like this is a decent "Hockey trade" for us, and fits a lot more in line with what we're looking for.

I still think Buch is a sell high guy....I'm not sure if he's totally topped out, but I wouldn't roll the dice on him much further. To me he's the perfect guy, at the perfect time to trade to fill some needs.

I also think Buch is a sell high guy, but in spite of being an advocate for trading him, I don't really want to. He is a good player that in a flat cap world can't be responsibly extended by this team unless he wants to take the discount - and even then, that's a clock on his head with Kakko, Kravtsov, possibly Tarasenko, Colin Blackwell, maybe a prospect - all competing for two top 6 RW spots. In the absolute worst case scenario here, it's Buchnevich and busts - but that doesn't seem very likely given what we've seen from Kravtsov and given Kakko's growth.

If you can get a Tim Gettinger or a Julien Gauthier or even an Austin Rueschoff to play heavy hockey, you want those guys in the bottom 6 RW spots. Buchnevich, Kakko, Kravtsov - they're wasted there.

It's a ticking clock situation, and I think the gamble is whether the contract Buchnevich wants and his possible continued growth make him more valuable in 18 months or not.

I also think Buch is a sell high guy, but in spite of being an advocate for trading him, I don't really want to. He is a good player that in a flat cap world can't be responsibly extended by this team unless he wants to take the discount - and even then, that's a clock on his head with Kakko, Kravtsov, possibly Tarasenko, Colin Blackwell, maybe a prospect - all competing for two top 6 RW spots. In the absolute worst case scenario here, it's Buchnevich and busts - but that doesn't seem very likely given what we've seen from Kravtsov and given Kakko's growth.

If you can get a Tim Gettinger or a Julien Gauthier or even an Austin Rueschoff to play heavy hockey, you want those guys in the bottom 6 RW spots. Buchnevich, Kakko, Kravtsov - they're wasted there.

It's a ticking clock situation, and I think the gamble is whether the contract Buchnevich wants and his possible continued growth make him more valuable in 18 months or not.

I agree G. I like Buch too. I've been an advocate of his all along as well, it's just his time came up sooner than the others, unfortunately.

I could say that Kreider's signing kinda sealed Buch's fate, but as much as I get on Kreider, he's the kind of player we're going to need come playoff time...and I see him as much more valuable than Buchnevich in that sense.

I'm getting pretty antsy to see what Drury is going to do....

I agree G. I like Buch too. I've been an advocate of his all along as well, it's just his time came up sooner than the others, unfortunately.

I could say that Kreider's signing kinda sealed Buch's fate, but as much as I get on Kreider, he's the kind of player we're going to need come playoff time...and I see him as much more valuable than Buchnevich in that sense.

I'm getting pretty antsy to see what Drury is going to do....

It did, but only because we lucked into Lafreniere and we signed that contract without accounting for a global pandemic. Which, to be fair to Gorton - none of us would have appropriately accounted for that either.

I think we really get one "cap will save this deal" contract in the grand scheme of things anyway. We have 2 (Kreider, Trouba). We can't sign a third.

Unless the Rangers can trade Kreider, which is highly unlikely, I think we have to deal Buchnevich, with an ideal return being either a hockey trade or a 3C + high upside prospect sort of thing.

• Like 1

It did, but only because we lucked into Lafreniere and we signed that contract without accounting for a global pandemic. Which, to be fair to Gorton - none of us would have appropriately accounted for that either.

I think we really get one "cap will save this deal" contract in the grand scheme of things anyway. We have 2 (Kreider, Trouba). We can't sign a third.

Unless the Rangers can trade Kreider, which is highly unlikely, I think we have to deal Buchnevich, with an ideal return being either a hockey trade or a 3C + high upside prospect sort of thing.

Yeah, I think it's too big a gamble to have that 3rd "risky" contract....especially with guys like Fox, Kakko and Yukon waiting in the wings.

...and I agree with that return for a deal....absolutely 100%!!! :thumbs:

3 - We know. We know.

I dunno man... if it was one surgery I might not even think about it but even then you know you are never fully 100% after surgery. After 3 I am very weary. He is a talent upgrade to Buch and yes I will even say probably a better leader at this point (I think this can be argued since Buch is such a loved locker room guy) but toughness wise I dont even know how you can make that argument. Buch aint a bruiser but he was certainly one of the toughest guys to play against last season. Easily a top 3 forward for the team who has improved every year he's been here.

The contract is two fold. Expires in two years and gives the young guys time to develop and step in but also blocks one of laf or kakko from getting top 6 or PP time doesnt it? I dont see kreider getting bumped from the PP and I'd argue you keep him top 6 for his size and speed which zib, panarin lack. If this is all Buch tops out at then you move him to the third and hes an ideal 3rd line guy. I'd argue you get a guy like Taresnko AFTER this team makes the playoffs once or twice and gets their feet wet.

IMO if you have to move buch you get a center.

I dunno man... if it was one surgery I might not even think about it but even then you know you are never fully 100% after surgery. After 3 I am very weary. He is a talent upgrade to Buch and yes I will even say probably a better leader at this point (I think this can be argued since Buch is such a loved locker room guy) but toughness wise I dont even know how you can make that argument. Buch aint a bruiser but he was certainly one of the toughest guys to play against last season. Easily a top 3 forward for the team who has improved every year he's been here.

The contract is two fold. Expires in two years and gives the young guys time to develop and step in but also blocks one of laf or kakko from getting top 6 or PP time doesnt it? I dont see kreider getting bumped from the PP and I'd argue you keep him top 6 for his size and speed which zib, panarin lack. If this is all Buch tops out at then you move him to the third and hes an ideal 3rd line guy. I'd argue you get a guy like Taresnko AFTER this team makes the playoffs once or twice and gets their feet wet.

IMO if you have to move buch you get a center.

No, the top 9 (barring other moves) would likely be:

Panarin - Strome - Tarasenko

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Kreider - Chytil - Krav

Tarasenko would likely replace Strome on PP1, which cold use a lefty. PP2, where Buch was, could then be Laf-Strome-Kakko-Jones/Lundkvist/Chtyil/Krav

Added bonus is you want Krav to emulate Tarasenko more than Buch. After 2 years of Tarasenko, Krav takes that spot.

That would be fun to watch but in terms of adding grit it doesn’t move the barometer much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who ever said that was adding grit?

Then replace Chytil (or Strome moving Chytil up) with Jenner.

Add your Martinook, a Ritche or 2, Coleman, Cizikas, Reeves, whoever on the 4th line and you have grit.

That would be fun to watch but in terms of adding grit it doesn’t move the barometer much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swapping Blackwell (5'9, 190) and Buchnevich (6'3 197) for Tarsenko (6' 225) and Kravtsov (6'3, 190) should make a difference on difficulty to play against. Not sure about grittiness, but that comes in many forms.