• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant Interview on Sirious NHL Network at 4:30pm Today

Prior to Gallant interview they brought up DeAngelo situation in their spin the wheel segment, trade value, salary, buyout details.

M.Biron brings up D.Hamilton to the NYRangers in the spin the wheel segment prior to Gallant interview, he said he likes Hamilton to NYR...Does Biron know we have Fox?

Gallant summary;

-Says he hasn't talked to many players yet, texted Fox congrats on award. -- watching a lot of film.

-Coaching staff in place in the next week or so.

-References need for players like Goodrow & Coleman, scoring big goals come playoff time and the way TB plays.

-Offense is great but need to play 200feet game.

-Don't mind playing top players together, hopes kids take a big step(Kakko/LAF mentioned).

-Hopes team steps up so Fox doesn't have to play 28-30minutes a night.

-Not a big city guy, mentions hasn't moved yet, prefers living in "white plains" than the city.

-Talk to LAF to see where he feels most comfortable playing.

-Want to keep Goalies fresh, got 2 good goalies, wont say ratio of games played for goalies he prefers. Will lean on Goalie coaches.

-Talks playoffs/game 5 of cup.

-Talks coaching Owen Power.

• Like 1

"Talk to LAF to see where he feels most comfortable playing" - I mean, obviously LW since it is where he has always played. But does this really mean..."we will check to see how he feels about trying Center out?

The Rangers only have 2 good goalies if Georgiev rebounds from the shitshow he was last year.

"Talk to LAF to see where he feels most comfortable playing" - I mean, obviously LW since it is where he has always played. But does this really mean..."we will check to see how he feels about trying Center out?

The Rangers only have 2 good goalies if Georgiev rebounds from the shitshow he was last year.

Or maybe the right side along with Panarin.

Odd note I came across last week. Did we NOT know Kakko had played quite a bit of center while with TPS??

Why in the hell wasn't he given an opportunity this past season?

Odd note I came across last week. Did we NOT know Kakko had played quite a bit of center while with TPS??

he played LW the most

I don't like Kakko at center. His physical attributes and skill set are the makings of a great winger.

I took the comments t posted by winter as more of a where does he see himself in the line up, more so than position, although position plays a part.

"How do you see yourself fitting in in the line up? Do you prefer 3LW or 2RW? Who do you like playing with?"

When he said he'd talk to LAF he was asked where he sees him in the lineup, he mentioned in his(Gallant) days of playing LW meant he was comfortable playing LW, but "these kids today are different" he never indicated where he would prefer he play etc. just that he'd talk to him to see where hes most comfortable. This was literally his shortest most quick answer he gave of everything asked.

I like the idea but why with Chytil slotted at 3c? Strome has solidified his role as 2c and we certainly got lucky with that one. Its a good idea as a fallback plan.

I see Kakko as a casualty of a blockbuster whether it be before the season or trade deadline, just a feeling though.

When’s the last time a top pick was traded so soon after the draft?

They’d be better off trading the older guys and letting the kids grow.

You know, the old guys that haven’t made the playoffs in years... but nah, let’s suggest trading the kids.

I like the idea but why with Chytil slotted at 3c? Strome has solidified his role as 2c and we certainly got lucky with that one. Its a good idea as a fallback plan.

I see Kakko as a casualty of a blockbuster whether it be before the season or trade deadline, just a feeling though.

I was mainly talking about last season, when they couldn't find playing time for him and when Chytil was out. I'd think Kakkos puck handling abilities would benefit him more as a center, as well as building up that defensive aspect they pushed on him. You'd think they were grooming him to fit the supposed desires that Panarin has for his RW. But word is Panarin demanded he NOT play on his wing.

In such a failed season, trying your already screwed up prospect at center should have been tried at least once..

When’s the last time a top pick was traded so soon after the draft?

They’d be better off trading the older guys and letting the kids grow.

You know, the old guys that haven’t made the playoffs in years... but nah, let’s suggest trading the kids.

Bryan Berard was the last 1OA to be traded within 2 years of his draft. He was traded for the last 2OA to be dealt within two years of his draft - Wade Redden.

In addition to Redden, the Senators got Marty Straka and I think the rights to Damian Rhodes.

So...if you want to talk about trading Kakko...the right valuation is probably something like Quinton Byfield. Regardless of NHL output, top 2/top 3 picks are always exceptionally valued for at least 4 years post-draft

I was mainly talking about last season, when they couldn't find playing time for him and when Chytil was out. I'd think Kakkos puck handling abilities would benefit him more as a center, as well as building up that defensive aspect they pushed on him. You'd think they were grooming him to fit the supposed desires that Panarin has for his RW. But word is Panarin demanded he NOT play on his wing.

In such a failed season, trying your already screwed up prospect at center should have been tried at least once..

How is Kakko "screwed up" already? He's barely 2 years and less than 200 games in his career. He's improved his defensive game massively, he's got the puck handling skills in tight spaces, and all he has to do now is work on his shot accuracy, he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Panarin didn't want to play with him because he can't finish yet, but everything else is really coming together.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How is Kakko "screwed up" already? He's barely 2 years and less than 200 games in his career. He's improved his defensive game massively, he's got the puck handling skills in tight spaces, and all he has to do now is work on his shot accuracy, he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Panarin didn't want to play with him because he can't finish yet, but everything else is really coming together.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Because he has 40 points over 2 seasons and he was drafted as a scoring machine...? There is ZERO talk about him playing in the top 6. People are suggesting trading for another RW to take a spot that SHOULD unquestionably be HIS, yet it isn't and with good reason.

Because he has 40 points over 2 seasons and he was drafted as a scoring machine...? There is ZERO talk about him playing in the top 6. People are suggesting trading for another RW to take a spot that SHOULD unquestionably be HIS, yet it isn't and with good reason.
And one of the reasons you're against that trade is because it blocks a youngster, yet here you are complaining about the youngster...

I don't believe that particular youngster has proven he has the offensive skills to play in the top 6 at this time and as a result imo should not be handed that role. His offensive skills (passing/shooting) are bad. His puck possession skills are great apparently, according to the eye test that's almost entirely along the boards. That's a good thing but hardly something to get excited about for a 2OA imo. It's only 200 games in but to me he still has a whole lot to prove. At this point I'm not sure what you could reasonably pencil him in for next season that isn't almost entirely based on wishful thinking points wise.
  • Like 1

I guess Jack Hughes sucks too since he has 52 points in just about the same amount of games as Kakko, and Hughes who was getting top 6 minutes and PP1 time since Day 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

As a #2 OA, I think everyone is disappointed with what he has produced at this point. Minus a break out third season, idk how long you wait for this guy to take his NHL ready skills to the actual NHL.

Yes, his production has sucked. But it's not about production, it's about progress, which Kakko has show by the eyeball test and stat sheet...Undoubtedly better in year 2 than year 1. He was about as statistically unlucky as anyone in the league last year.

Juxtaposed with #4OA and board darling Brady Tkachuk...Who has stagnated boxcar stats and advanced stats-wise has flat lined or gotten worse year over year despite getting more and more ice time ...Yet everyone wants him and no one wants Kakko.

Games-wise Kakko has played just about 1.5 full seasons and probably should have been in the AHL for a good amount of that (I'll take this opportunity to do what everyone else here does and say "And that's why old management got fired! For not doing what I wanted them to do!").

This kid just needs patience and opportunity. No missing weeks at a time with COVID protocols, no line juggling, clear role.

• Like 2