• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Did the Playoffs Make Kreider More Tradeable?

LindG1000

Noting that Drury said that it was impossible to ignore the physicality, size, and speed of the playoffs, I can't help but wonder if Kreider is suddenly a hot asset.

• There's really not much of what he offers in FA
  • He's under contract and cost controlled, even if the number is a bit high
  • He's the exact player folks will be targeting all off-season based on these playoffs
  • He won't play over Panarin or Laf in our lineup, and his desire to go to RW is unknown
  • GMs are silly creatures that play copycat on the latest SC Champs

I'll concede that he plays the style we're probably looking to replicate and we've got little to nothing behind him to replace that, but I have to think that given the list above, we're going to get some calls on him. What do you think it takes for us to actually do the deal?

Cut and dry? Yes. There's an emphasis on adding more straight-line muscle given the composition of the NHL's final four clubs, but as we briefly discussed offline, the issue is highly sensitive to a specific return. The team wants more Kreiders, not fewer. They may move him in a few years, ditto Trouba, due to cap constraints for new contracts due to up-and-comers, but not because they dislike this style of player. Quite the contrary. Kreider, like few others, fundamentally embodies what they/Gallant wants to be and how they want to play. They keep pointing back to the Vegas style. That's Kreider. 100%.

Moving him for Tkachuk, for example? Sure. You don't rob yourself of what you are desperate to add already this off season. Trading him for more futures or high-skill prospects? Robs Peter to pay Paul. Even if it raises their futures stock.

Cut and dry? Yes. There's an emphasis on adding more straight-line muscle given the composition of the NHL's final four clubs, but as we briefly discussed offline, the issue is highly sensitive to a specific return. The team wants more Kreiders, not fewer. They may move him in a few years, ditto Trouba, due to cap constraints for new contracts due to up-and-comers, but not because they dislike this style of player. Quite the contrary. Kreider, like few others, fundamentally embodies what they/Gallant wants to be and how they want to play. They keep pointing back to the Vegas style. That's Kreider. 100%.

Moving him for Tkachuk, for example? Sure. You don't rob yourself of what you are desperate to add already this off season. Trading him for more futures or high-skill prospects? Robs Peter to pay Paul. Even if it raises their futures stock.

It really, really depends on the return. You can get an NHL ready future and a depth player and that could work, but there's a tipping point where you have to consider it if the future answers a question strongly enough i.e. if the guy we're getting back could be our 3c this year and our 2c next with little question around that.

Kreider on the 3rd line makes sense. His contract does not fit his role here unfortunately and I doubt it makes him desirable for other teams. However, id make a call on Reaves for Kreider and throw in incidentals either way to make it work if possible.

How is Tampa going to get cap compliant next year? Past history says a deal with them may be possible too. Callahan 2.0 for them....

Kreider on the 3rd line makes sense. His contract does not fit his role here unfortunately and I doubt it makes him desirable for other teams. However, id make a call on Reaves for Kreider and throw in incidentals either way to make it work if possible.

How is Tampa going to get cap compliant next year? Past history says a deal with them may be possible too. Callahan 2.0 for them....

Have to give Kreider the C first. Then Tampa will get him for their 7th best prospect and a late 1st.

It should also be noted, his not playing over Panarin or Laf in the lineup isn't really relevant. It's a regular season roster construction issue that will fluctuate with injuries/streaks. He may very well end up playing over either/both in the playoffs depending on the match-up.

Have to give Kreider the C first. Then Tampa will get him for their 7th best prospect and a late 1st.

One Boris Katchouk please!

I'm thinking this deal more in the vein of "team that's real sour about being bounced around overpaying for guy who has the playoff edge down" sort of thing. I don't think Tampa qualifies though if they really want him, we can offer them some Cap(tain) relief.

One Boris Katchouk please!

I'm thinking this deal more in the vein of "team that's real sour about being bounced around overpaying for guy who has the playoff edge down" sort of thing. I don't think Tampa qualifies though if they really want him, we can offer them some Cap(tain) relief.

So Toronto or Edmonton, basically.

Did the Playoffs Make Kreider More Tradeable?

I think the more correct word here is "valuable", not tradeable. He's always been tradeable, because he's not on a bad contract. It is a good/fair contract.

What we should be talking about is how we need to keep him and how Gallant could possibly amplify his game by utilizing his physical attributes on an increased and consistent basis. We've had two coaches who you could argue had a neutering affect on Kreider's physical game. Let him be the manimal he is meant to be.

I think the more correct word here is "valuable", not tradeable. He's always been tradeable, because he's not on a bad contract. It is a good/fair contract.

What we should be talking about is how we need to keep him and how Gallant could possibly amplify his game by utilizing his physical attributes on an increased and consistent basis. We've had two coaches who you could argue had a neutering affect on Kreider's physical game. Let him be the manimal he is meant to be.

Agreed, and super-duper-duper agree. Embrace the chaos. I want Goalie-Killer Kreider back.

• Like 1

This is where I'm at too RMC.

I'm very curious to see what Gallant has in store with him. ...kinda like a last chance at greatness thing.

I'm going to give Kreider a fair shake this season to see what he plays like under a guy who knew what was like to play "that way", and the value behind having such a player. Kreider is built like a fucking gorilla, and it's about time we set him loose to do what he should be doing.

Now I wanna see it....

I'm not blaming the coach, Pete...I just think that if Gallant can't get it out of Kreider, then no one can.

I suppose an argument could be made for AV being pansy-ish, and Quinn just being a micro-managing type.

Gallant is more of a "players coach" type, and that would basically cover all ends of the spectrum. But I'm gonna give it a fair shake, and hope we can get what we need out of what we already have. LOL

I'm not blaming the coach, Pete...I just think that if Gallant can't get it out of Kreider, then no one can.

I suppose an argument could be made for AV being pansy-ish, and Quinn just being a micro-managing type.

Gallant is more of a "players coach" type, and that would basically cover all ends of the spectrum. But I'm gonna give it a fair shake, and hope we can get what we need out of what we already have. LOL

I get it, but folks here can't say Quinn forced the team to do this or that, and then also say that some players just did whatever they wanted and never got benched...Then that just means Kreider could have played however he wanted, and he made a choice to play like a giant invisible pussy.

Can't have it both ways.

I get it, but folks here can't say Quinn forced the team to do this or that, and then also say that some players just did whatever they wanted and never got benched...Then that just means Kreider could have played however he wanted, and he made a choice to play like a giant invisible pussy.

Can't have it both ways.

No, that's true, man. I see where you're coming from....and you know I beat the piss outta Kreider all year for being invisible at times. He drives me crazy with that 3 goals a game for a week, and then you need a search party to find him on the ice for a month crap.

I'm just speaking from my point of view here, but basically I'm trying to be hopeful that Gallant can turn goat piss into gasoline with him, and maybe we won't have to deal away a stud young player to get what we SHOULD have in Kreider.

Kreider is already tradeable. I know fans are frustrated with him but he’s a 6’3 220 winger who can fly and gets to the front of the net. If the rangers wanted to trade him they could easily do it.

But they don’t want to.

Nor should they. As was already stated they want more Kreider type players. He’s a .50 ppg player in the playoffs. He’s scored massive goals in big moments. Yes, he’s frustrating at times during the regular season but hopefully Gallant changes his role from a 1st line winger to 3rd liner who plays the PP. So long as he’s not being counted on for offense (which he shouldn’t be with Laff and Bread ahead of him on the depth chart) his game is exactly what they’re looking for for a bottom 6 player this summer. He is Zach Hyman - only a better skater.

• Like 2

I’m hopeful Gallant will finally play him in the role that suits him best: on the 3rd line. Kreider will score his 20-25 goals every year in bunches and doesn’t need to play in the Top-6 to do so. Him on the 3rd line doesn’t prohibit him from being a net front presence on all of the PP’s. That’s where he gets his cookies anyway.
  • Like 1

If anything, it made him more important to the Rangers.

As I've been mentioning with Trouba and Kreider, before you trade either, you need to add more of what they bring, plus a replacement (also bringing what they bring)

Kreider is already tradeable. I know fans are frustrated with him but he’s a 6’3 220 winger who can fly and gets to the front of the net. If the rangers wanted to trade him they could easily do it.

But they don’t want to.

Nor should they. As was already stated they want more Kreider type players. He’s a .50 ppg player in the playoffs. He’s scored massive goals in big moments. Yes, he’s frustrating at times during the regular season but hopefully Gallant changes his role from a 1st line winger to 3rd liner who plays the PP. So long as he’s not being counted on for offense (which he shouldn’t be with Laff and Bread ahead of him on the depth chart) his game is exactly what they’re looking for for a bottom 6 player this summer. He is Zach Hyman - only a better skater.

tenor.gif?itemid=16605509

But they don’t want to.

Repped.

We want to be in the playoffs next season, so why are we trading the guy everyone wants specifically for the playoffs?

Agreed, and super-duper-duper agree. Embrace the chaos. I want Goalie-Killer Kreider back.

Yes! If it's still in him. It's been so long, you have to wonder if it's too late. Why anyone would change up this guys game and cut his balls off (AV) is insanity. Is there an example of another team doing this to such a player without having to do so due to injuries?