• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Gallant: "I want us to be the hardest-working team in the league."

Phil

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take "NHL Coach Cliches for $2000, Alex"

"This adroit statement is said in every single introductory press conference every NHL coach has ever had."

*buzz*

What is "We're going to be the hardest working team in the NHL?"

Correct.

• Like 1

Didn't Quinn say the same thing that he wanted to have the hardest working team?!?!?

Just listen to the Ryan Spooner comments on that, though. He has a weird way of actually deploying that thought. Almost.. Amateurish. Collegiate, some may say.

Didn't Quinn say the same thing that he wanted to have the hardest working team?!?!?

Yup.

"We want to be in the opposition's faces and make them uncomfortable every shift. We want them to know when they see the Rangers on the schedule, it's going to be a long night."

The whole mantra his first year was "Fast, Physical, Relentless."

This is PR-coach speak. Makes for great pull quotes. It shouldn't be taken as gospel until the team actually does it.

Yup.

"We want to be in the opposition's faces and make them uncomfortable every shift. We want them to know when they see the Rangers on the schedule, it's going to be a long night."

giphy.gif

Yup.

This is PR-coach speak. Makes for great pull quotes. It shouldn't be taken as gospel until the team actually does it.

Yes, it's coach speak, but Gallant has a track record in the NHL that backs up that statement. I have significantly more confidence in Gallant setting that standard than Quinn.

Working hard is not this team's problem. They need to focus on working smarter, as in having a legitimate system in place, and understanding when their game needs to become simple.

look at the Isles, and look at Montreal. There's not one player on those teams who doesn't know what to do with the puck in every situation of every minute of every game. That's the gap, on this team. Not effort.

Call me simple, but I believe Gallant's track record has more weight than David Quinn's when they dish out coach speak like this. It was clear Quinn couldn't really get his players to buy in to whatever he was trying to sell them. Whereas Gallant has proved he can deliver time and time again.

I'm excited for this team to move forward.

Call me simple, but I believe Gallant's track record has more weight than David Quinn's when they dish out coach speak like this. It was clear Quinn couldn't really get his players to buy in to whatever he was trying to sell them. Whereas Gallant has proved he can deliver time and time again.

Quinn played a game of favorites pretty early on and never let go of it, especially with the younger players. The allegiance to Howden in particular was mind numbing. When you do stuff like that, players will start to tune you out.

I do actually wonder how guys like Howden and Gauthier (opposite ends of the Quinn teacher's pet experiment) would do with Gallant here, but you have to figure one of them is gone to Seattle.

Quinn never failed to say how he wanted the team to be more north and south, go to the net, to win 1 on 1 battles, to come out of the wall with the puck. And yet many nights didn't translate into tangible results. Looked like, the top 2 lines especially, despite their great talent, did their own thing some nights. And were often very content to pass around the perimeter all night, scoreboard and game situation be damned. Teams scouted that, and still they did that over and over. There was a disconnect about what Quinn said and what the team actually did.

Gallant has a track record for getting actual results at this level. You would think there are going to be discussions about that. We will see.

I’m not concerned with this teams effort. It’s not their lack of hustle that causes concern. It’s their lack of direction, and that comes from the coach. That’s what Gallant is here for: to make sure we have a gameplan, and that every single night, these players know what their roles are. I’m confident in him to do that.

We have a team of young guys, and I wouldn’t necessarily call any of them lazy. They’re willing to work. I just would like to see them work and know what their job/role is.

I know one of the knocks on Gallant is that hes not an X's and O's guy but I have to think that whatever system he does put into place is going to be a lot better than Quinns who's system seemed to be non-existent at times or just overly complicated because no one seemed to do it well.

I am excited. I know 6 months from now were going to hate things this coach does as well but for now im excited.

Quinn played a game of favorites pretty early on and never let go of it, especially with the younger players. The allegiance to Howden in particular was mind numbing. When you do stuff like that, players will start to tune you out.

I do actually wonder how guys like Howden and Gauthier (opposite ends of the Quinn teacher's pet experiment) would do with Gallant here, but you have to figure one of them is gone to Seattle.

All coaches have favorites. I’m sure Gallant is gonna have a strange attachment to someone he shouldn’t.

All coaches have favorites. I’m sure Gallant is gonna have a strange attachment to someone he shouldn’t.

Right. And when we say "favorites", let's be clear...We're talking about playing the 12th forward over the 13th and 14th forwards. It's quibbling.

Right. And when we say "favorites", let's be clear...We're talking about playing the 12th forward over the 13th and 14th forwards. It's quibbling.

If anything, knowing Gallant, it's probably going to be some heavier type of player. The thing is, I'm not concerned about lesser talents working with him. Gallant has shown that he can take players like Shawn Thornton, Deryk Engelland, Ryan Reaves, etc, and not have them stick out.

Sure, but when the favorites aren't working, they need to be able to let go or they find themselves where Quinn currently is...out of a job.

See my above post. I think Gallant is capable of masking some of his weaker players and getting them to play games that work within the team structure. Look what he's done with some his tougher players who aren't as skilled. Look at how passable he made Alex Petrovic and Mark Pysyk look to the point that they were protected over Smith and Marchessault.

If the Rangers get a proper 4th line, Gallant is going to play the shit out of them. It's going to annoy everyone here. He's not John Tortorella. ALL of his players play.

If the Rangers get a proper 4th line, Gallant is going to play the shit out of them. It's going to annoy everyone here. He's not John Tortorella. ALL of his players play.

Right. Anyone who doesn't go all out isn't going to play.

Gallant’s teams play four-line, puck-pressure hockey with emphasis on an aggressive forecheck and neutral-zone forecheck with a defensive posture meant to produce turnovers and trigger transition counter-attacks.

“I hate talking about the past but when I was in Vegas we went to training camp with a plan, put our systems in place and we expected everybody to play a 200-foot game with everybody good defensively and everybody good offensively,” the coach said. “Everybody has to have a role on your hockey team.

“It’s not going to take 15 guys to win, it’s going to take 23 players on the roster to win games every night. I try to make every player important to our hockey team, everybody has a role to play and the expectation is, ‘Do your role, play your role and we’ll win hockey games.’”

“You give [young players] the opportunity and hopefully they take the opportunity and ice time they get and excel with it,” Gallant said. “I don’t think young players can sit on the fourth line and get a lot out of that.

“You’ve got to give them the opportunity to play. We know we’ve got some very talented young hockey players who are going to get every opportunity to play but they have got to fit into our program. They’ve got to make sure they’re playing every night and are deserving of ice time.

Link: https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/gerard-gallant-makes-his-rangers-mission-crystal-clear/

Here are some fuller quotes from Brooks' article that relate.