• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Drury: Naming a Team Captain is "a priority" of Next Steps

Phil

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be Trouba.

I can see that, Sharpy. I'd be okay with that as well. If I remember correctly there were a few players that said some good things about Trouba taking charge in the locker room last season.....forgot who. But I'm old, so I do that a lot!! ;)

There are only two paths for this, IMO: give it to the veteran leaders like when Drury was named captain. That means Kreider or Trouba, most likely. Or, give it to the young guy who'll grow with it for the next ten years. That means Lafreniere or Fox.

There are only two paths for this, IMO: give it to the veteran leaders like when Drury was named captain. That means Kreider or Trouba, most likely. Or, give it to the young guy who'll grow with it for the next ten years. That means Lafreniere or Fox.

I think these are basically the only two options, and make the most sense to me for the reasons you mentioned.

I know I may get flamed for this, but I really wouldn’t mind the Lafreniere route here. I get it, he’s young and he still needs to gain the respect of this league and that locker room. But one of the qualities about him was his leadership. He may be young now, but he’s gonna be here. That C may look odd now, but will grow well with time, IMO. I know many will disagree and that’s fine. If the right guy, the right veteran, hasn’t stepped up by now, then maybe giving it to a promising young star isn’t a bad idea.

“My goal and our hope is that we’re a playoff team next year,” Drury said. “It is a mandate? I don’t believe so. But I want everyone to come back and know that that’s where we want to be and with the talent on this team where we should be.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/gerard-gallant-confronts-win-now-challenge-rangers-coach/

What? If it’s not a mandate that means jd and gorton really got fired for losing to the isles and Wilson slamming panarin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/gerard-gallant-confronts-win-now-challenge-rangers-coach/

What? If it’s not a mandate that means jd and gorton really got fired for losing to the isles and Wilson slamming panarin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong thread but "mandating" anything is idiotic. It's why the yankees WS or bust thing is so fucking dumb. It's impossible to know what's going to happen or more importantly "why" it's happening. Drury would only be painting himself into a corner by mandating anything.

Wrong thread but "mandating" anything is idiotic. It's why the yankees WS or bust thing is so fucking dumb. It's impossible to know what's going to happen or more importantly "why" it's happening. Drury would only be painting himself into a corner by mandating anything.

I posted it here because Drury mentioned it today during the presser along with the captain thing.

And also Drury wouldn't be the one mandating it, Dolan would. My point was that if Dolan hasnt told him playoffs or bust (which was mentioned as a possible reason he wasnt happy with them & I agree is idiotic for a rebuilding team) then the logical conclusion is that he just fired those two (JD&gorts) for an even dumber reason than was originally thought.

I posted it here because Drury mentioned it today during the presser along with the captain thing.

And also Drury wouldn't be the one mandating it, Dolan would. My point was that if Dolan hasnt told him playoffs or bust (which was mentioned as a possible reason he wasnt happy with them & I agree is idiotic for a rebuilding team) then the logical conclusion is that he just fired those two (JD&gorts) for an even dumber reason than was originally thought.

Not to bat for Dolan, but we don’t really know what the reason was.

Maybe they planted their flag in Quinn’s corner. Maybe they wanted to stay the course in terms of letting the rebuild play out and not trade young pieces for playoff ready types. Maybe they simply disagreed on the course. Maybe he just saw a team of weaklings and wanted something else.

Whatever it was, I wouldn’t read much into making the playoffs not being mandated. In fact, surely that’s positive with a new GM and coach.

Mandating it is dumb in year 1 of a GM and coach, because a mandate is really "do it or you're fired". Other than that though, mandating playoffs and a certain level of performance is how you progress forward. I think Drury and Gallant have next year with a strong hope of making the playoffs, with an expectation/mandate of making the playoffs the following year...or they are both gone.