• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Drury: Naming a Team Captain is "a priority" of Next Steps

Phil

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouba gets shit on a lot.. We should not conflate Gorton over paying him versus what he brings to the table on and off the ice, he's a valuable guy.

I'm counting on this guy bouncing back hard core. He was always a much more noticeable player in a good way before he got here.

I think a clean slate will do wonders for a bunch of guys on this roster. Trouba, Lafreniere, Kakko, Hajek, Gauthier, maybe even Howden. Lemieux probably would have been a Gallant guy too. The one who can't be spoken about probably would be too. Has it been confirmed that he shan't play for the Rangers again, even though "scouts honor" Gorton is gone?

I'm counting on this guy bouncing back hard core. He was always a much more noticeable player in a good way before he got here.

I think a clean slate will do wonders for a bunch of guys on this roster. Trouba, Lafreniere, Kakko, Hajek, Gauthier, maybe even Howden. Lemieux probably would have been a Gallant guy too. The one who can't be spoken about probably would be too. Has it been confirmed that he shan't play for the Rangers again, even though "scouts honor" Gorton is gone?

Just my two cents, but I think we've seen Trouba at his best in physical games when the game dictates him to be physical. It's forced out of him in a way. Gallant needs to get him to engage more physically in games where it's not forced out of him. Proactive physicality.

Just my two cents, but I think we've seen Trouba at his best in physical games when the game dictates him to be physical. It's forced out of him in a way. Gallant needs to get him to engage more physically in games where it's not forced out of him. Proactive physicality.

Agreed. When he first got here he was playing physical for the first few weeks. Then that disappeared. Seems to happen with new arrivals. I'd say it was a Quinning, but then I'd get yelled at for saying it. So I won't say it was a Quinning or anything to do with Quinn.

Quinn

Quinning.

Quinned

I just re evaluated our team and going man by man.....this just seems like a no brainer. Guy just won the Norris and Steven MacDonald Extra Effort Award; Foxy should be the captain. One of these accolades alone is not enough but these two paired together make it undeniable. Obviously leading by example. Surround him with some veteran A's; Trouba and......maybe Zib?

It’s not Zibanejad. He’s been around how long? Kreider has been around even longer not leading. If either stepped up, they’d have been wearing a C for years, now.

Captain isn’t about contract, awards, stats, etc. it’s about being a motivator, a leader, tone setter, keeps others accountable, etc.

It’s not Zibanejad. He’s been around how long? Kreider has been around even longer not leading. If either stepped up, they’d have been wearing a C for years, now.

Captain isn’t about contract, awards, stats, etc. it’s about being a motivator, a leader, tone setter, keeps others accountable, etc.

Fair enough. But I think Fox is the guy going forward. Did he captain any teams before the NHL?

Fair enough. But I think Fox is the guy going forward. Did he captain any teams before the NHL?

Don’t think so. Again, Fox is a good player but he’s never been mentioned for his leadership like Kreider, Trouba, Zib, and even Lafreniere have.

Have Kreider and Zib been mentioned in that regard due to lack of other options or is there legitimate leadership there?

I mean the Rangers as a team spent a whole offseason sucking off Zib. The TV crew sucked off Kreider. You know as much as I do, but those have been the guys mentioned by the team specifically. Lafreniere was mentioned. Trouba has been mentioned. Fox has never been in that conversation. Winning the Norris doesn't change that.

I mean the Rangers as a team spent a whole offseason sucking off Zib. The TV crew sucked off Kreider. You know as much as I do, but those have been the guys mentioned by the team specifically. Lafreniere was mentioned. Trouba has been mentioned. Fox has never been in that conversation. Winning the Norris doesn't change that.

Fair enough. Kreider as a captain makes me feel like we won't win anything. The disappearing act is enough to make me feel like he doesn't need another burden to carry when playing can sometimes be enough for him.

Fair enough. Kreider as a captain makes me feel like we won't win anything. The disappearing act is enough to make me feel like he doesn't need another burden to carry when playing can sometimes be enough for him.

I'm hopeful that Gallant finds a proper role for him. He's a frustrating 1st liner. He's a great 3rd liner. It would also remove some of that pressure to move down the lineup as well. I guess we'll see.

What would reeves had done? Prevent Martin from hitting Trouba?

It's more of a presence, Simon. If you know a team has a guy like that it sometimes makes a team think twice about either hitting a guy or taking liberties with other players.

I know for a fact when we played a team that had a dude like Reaves, I would usually push it to a limit, and then call off the dogs, knowing full well I didn't wanna go toe to toe with a guy who could hit me so hard my kids would be born dizzy!! :rofl:

i dont think Martin took any liberty against Trouba. to me it looked like a hard hockey hit that unfortunately injured Trouba. It was not a hit to the head or any kind of a dirty hit, it was just hard. Reeves would not have stopped it from happening IMO

i dont think Martin took any liberty against Trouba. to me it looked like a hard hockey hit that unfortunately injured Trouba. It was not a hit to the head or any kind of a dirty hit, it was just hard. Reeves would not have stopped it from happening IMO

Disagree. Reaves would have created an impenetrable force field around Trouba.

I don't know why we have to keep addressing this straw man, but for the millionth time, enforcers (of any size or stripe) do not exist to "prevent" violence. They exist to retaliate. No one (that I've seen on this board) is arguing that Reaves or any Reaves-like character will stop Wilson or Martin or any of the divisions villains from doing stupid, violent shit. So can we please stop pretending like someone is still backing this claim?

I'm hopeful that Gallant finds a proper role for him. He's a frustrating 1st liner. He's a great 3rd liner. It would also remove some of that pressure to move down the lineup as well. I guess we'll see.

I'd argue he's an ideal third-liner at even strength because he picks up so much of his offense on the man advantage. Of his 30 points last season, 16 were even strength. Of his 20 goals, 9 were even strength. In effect, half his production comes on the power play because he's such a unique net front presence.

Yes, paying $6.5 million for him feels like it's out of whack, but that's only because we fear what will come of second deals for guys like Lafreniere and Kakko.

I'd argue he's an ideal third-liner at even strength because he picks up so much of his offense on the man advantage. Of his 30 points last season, 16 were even strength. Of his 20 goals, 9 were even strength. In effect, half his production comes on the power play because he's such a unique net front presence.

Yes, paying $6.5 million for him feels like it's out of whack, but that's only because we fear what will come of second deals for guys like Lafreniere and Kakko.

You can take that a step further by how many goals were scored by his screening the goalie and he doesn't get any points/stats from them. IMO, it's a very big reason he got the contract he did. Pavelski may be the only player that does a better job there than Kreider.

You can take that a step further by how many goals were scored by his screening the goalie and he doesn't get any points/stats from them. IMO, it's a very big reason he got the contract he did. Pavelski may be the only player that does a better job there than Kreider.

Yup. I'd have to dig into the numbers to be more certain about it, but pound-for-pound, I'm not sure there's a better net front presence than Kreider in today's NHL.

Yup. I'd have to dig into the numbers to be more certain about it, but pound-for-pound, I'm not sure there's a better net front presence than Kreider in today's NHL.

This... Like Trouba, vilified for his contract. Kreider has immense value to this team despite his shortcomings and many detractors. I personally don't give a shit what line he plays on as long as he is on the 1st PP unit.

• Like 1

He's exactly the kind of player you want/need in the playoffs, too. It's easy to shit on him, and his deal, when the team keeps missing. When they get in, he's the guy that can catapult them through games/rounds.

Wasn’t it Martin that hit Miller, too? Completely changed Miller and his season.