• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adam Fox vs Ryan McDonagh

Finally, Adam Fox and Ryan McDonagh are each 21 years old. Who are you taking?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Finally, Adam Fox and Ryan McDonagh are each 21 years old. Who are you taking?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/19/chicago-blackhawks-enter-jack-eichel-trade-sweepstakes/amp/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons&__twitter_impression=true

Finally, Adam Fox and Ryan McDonagh are each 21 years old.

Who are you taking?

Brooks posed this in his article. Thought it'd be a fun poll, though I suspect it's not particularly close.

McDonagh was everything the Rangers hoped for and more. As lopsided as the trade was to bring him here from Montreal, it also put immense pressure on him at a young age to live up to the hype. And he did. I’m very happy with the player he developed into. Because of the way those Ranger teams played, McDonagh had a lot of mileage on him early on. He played against, and did a wonderful job stopping, some of the best players in the world in crucial spots in the playoffs. His 2013-14 season was him at his peak, when he combined his superb defense with some fantastic contributions offensively.

That being said, Fox to me is almost on another level. While McDonagh was always usually a step (a single step IMO) below the elite defenders in the league like Hedman and Doughty, I believe moving forward, Fox will be in that upper tier with someone like Makar. It’s rather early, but I would probably go with Fox. His hockey IQ is simply off the charts, and unlike McDonagh, who after 2013-14 looked out of place running a No. 1 PP unit (not that he couldn’t play there, just wasn’t his strongest point), Fox is more than capable of playing and thriving with the man advantage.

Before making a final determination, I’d like to see Fox in a playoff series. I’m confident he will be fine there, but that is where McDonagh really showed his worth and his will. He took beatings, shut down the likes of Ovechkin in 7-game series, and played some of his best hockey in those tight moments. I’m sure Fox will too.

They’re completely different players. But if you have the chance at a point producing, powerplay qb, Norris caliber dman, you take it 10 out of 10 times.

Sure. Mac won a cup, but as a second or even third fiddle in another organization. It’s irrelevant to the Rangers.

They’re completely different players. But if you have the chance at a point producing, powerplay qb, Norris caliber dman, you take it 10 out of 10 times.

Sure. Mac won a cup, but as a second or even third fiddle in another organization. It’s irrelevant to the Rangers.

It's pretty funny that when McD was on the team, all we wanted was a guy like Fox on the blueline who could drive offense. Now we have Fox and all we want is a guy like McDonagh.

Exactly.

I love McDonagh. He was tremendous here and has been amazing for Tampa. But like I said, even at the height of his powers, he was a step right below the elite of the elite. With Fox, I feel like we have someone who is in that category being chased. Not a knock on McD in the slightest. It’s just very rare to see the total package like Fox.

Fox vs. Mac at 21? I take Fox every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The offensive ability is such a game changer. Mac was an excellent player as a Ranger and continues to play at a high level. As good as he was and is, he was never in the Norris conversation and his best years are gone. Fox has the chance to be an absolute great for this franchise. I’m betting on potential in this hypothetical.

The Leetch comparison is a bridge too far in my opinion. He’s a hall of farmer and a franchise luminary. Fox could get there one day, but it will take a decade of what we saw last season.

For those of you guys who never saw Leetch play, I'll give you my take:

Leetch could do it all...

Fantastic skater...deceptively fast

Great PP QB....arguably one of the best of his era

Very smart with/without the puck

Great shot...accurate too!

Very fast to react to plays defensively

Unbelievable offensive talent

I see Fox just a shade below in a lot of those categories, especially the shooting...but I also see him on the same trajectory. I liked McD when he was here, and thought he was a solid player and leader. But I'd take Fox over McDonaugh all day long for this team and where it's going.

Exactly.

I love McDonagh. He was tremendous here and has been amazing for Tampa. But like I said, even at the height of his powers, he was a step right below the elite of the elite. With Fox, I feel like we have someone who is in that category being chased. Not a knock on McD in the slightest. It’s just very rare to see the total package like Fox.

really sums up our team in '14 and '15. We basically had all the supporting cast and goaltending you need to win a cup. Just not the Panarin up front or the Fox on the Blueline to set us apart. Very good, but a step below the elite

really sums up our team in '14 and '15. We basically had all the supporting cast and goaltending you need to win a cup. Just not the Panarin up front or the Fox on the Blueline to set us apart. Very good, but a step below the elite

The situation we're in now is a good one. It's hard to acquire talent and we've done that. Now all we need to do is supplement the talent with the right pieces and we're in business.

Was ryan McDonaugh even in the NHL at 21?

I voted based on how I felt about those guys when they were 21. Maybe I did it wrong?

I still think it's a toss up. As long as Fox doesnt fall off a cliff, it should easily be him in a few seasons.

I voted based on how I felt about those guys when they were 21. Maybe I did it wrong?

I still think it's a toss up. As long as Fox doesnt fall off a cliff, it should easily be him in a few seasons.

Nah.. I totally get your approach.

I you could guarantee me Mac’s career right now for Fox, we’d all sign up in a heartbeat. Fox has an extra gear, but who knows how long he maintains etc.. these are good hypos to kick around to kill the time before free agency.

There is no wrong answer to this question. It’s easy as hell for me to say swing for the fences when I’m not the GM.

I probably wasn't paying attention at the time, but did Mac really have the same pressure to perform in his first 2 years in NY as Fox did? The trade/sign for Fox and then him making the team right away certainly put eyeballs on him from the get go. And then facing the equally challenging 'sophomore slump' dynamic? He crushed the hell out of that.

I probably wasn't paying attention at the time, but did Mac really have the same pressure to perform in his first 2 years in NY as Fox did? The trade/sign for Fox and then him making the team right away certainly put eyeballs on him from the get go. And then facing the equally challenging 'sophomore slump' dynamic? He crushed the hell out of that.

I feel like Fox took on a heavier role earlier than McDonagh had, but they were both definitively the number one defenseman by the end of their sophomore seasons. Fox was debatably the number one defenseman on the team at the end of his rookie season and then solidified that throughout his entire sophomore campaign.

McDonagh played behind a dependable first pairing of Staal-Girardi in his first season and then found an increased role with Staal and Sauer injured in the subsequent season. It's easy to forget that Mac was just in his second season when they went to the conference finals against the Devils. He averaged 26:49 that playoffs (10th among skaters) and played 53:17 in one of the games versus Washington. His skills weren't as high-end as Fox's but he was an incredible defender.