• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adam Fox vs Ryan McDonagh

Finally, Adam Fox and Ryan McDonagh are each 21 years old. Who are you taking?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Finally, Adam Fox and Ryan McDonagh are each 21 years old. Who are you taking?

McD is the better defender but Fox is much better offensively. McD has done t consistently for a decade and has battled through injuries and what not to suit up and be depended on to play, including broken bones to suit up in the playoffs for this team. Adam Fox is amazing but McD has had a career while Fox has had 2 seasons. It's not a fair comparison. Right now it has to be McD for me. His career and consistency while being the number 1 matchup defenseman for a perennial contender has gone on for a decade now and is resuming as we speak in Tampa. He has been massive for Tampa and I would argue a better fit for them than Fox would be. Fox is an offensive beast but is he that on a winner? Can he withstand the punishment of a decade of playoff runs while being targeted by the opposing teams? All speculation of course. For my money Fox is the better talent but that doesn't equate to a better career.
  • Like 1

We can all agree Fox has some work to do to match Mac in his own end.. but Mac's best offensive season (in Tampa) was 46 points in 82 games... Fox just had 47 in 56 games. The gap on the offensive side in favor of Fox is greater than the gap on the defensive/coverage in favor of Mac... By a wide margin IMO.

We can all agree Fox has some work to do to match Mac in his own end.. but Mac's best offensive season (in Tampa) was 46 points in 82 games... Fox just had 47 in 56 games. The gap on the offensive side in favor of Fox is greater than the gap on the defensive/coverage in favor of Mac... By a wide margin IMO.

That's fine. Problem is people here are making opinion like these guys are robotic video game players. McD withstood a decade of punishment being targeted throughout year after year of long playoff runs. Fox hasn't even played in a real playoff game yet let alone a series or 4 in the same season. McD played and played well through injury after injury including a broken foot with the team we all root for. Now people here discount that for some reason. Fox is a great player to be excited about but at this point Adam Fox hasn't had half the career McD has had just as a Ranger let alone what he's doing right now. The comparison is ludicrous to have any answer that doesn't end with it's too soon to compare and if I have to McD has earned the nod. This is not a rip at Fox at all, he is on path to be great but come on here, he has to do it for more than a year.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Fox is not as good in his own end as McD was. They're two wildly different defenders - McDonagh is the more traditional of the two for sure, but there's something to be said for controlling nearly 60% of the play when he's on the ice. Hard to score when you've got the puck that much more than your opponents.
  • Like 1

Last night McDonagh played excpetionally well. Crazy TBL goal; he made the key breakout pass on the SHG but was getting off the ice when it scored. Did not get an assist but without that key play, who knows. We should be so lucky to have Fox play that well in a huge playoff game.

I honestly thought McDonagh was done for as a top pairing D man when the Rangers traded him. He's certainly turned it around and has cranked it up a notch in this playoffs. Glad he didn't fade into oblivion. Had he been playing this good in his last days as a Ranger, imagine the haul they could have gotten. Atleast we got Howden out of it. Ehhh?

McDonagh is a warrior. It hurts that they basically could have just held onto him since they got a pile of shit back except the 1st that ultimately netted Lundkvist. At least Lundkvist could still soften the pain from that trade, but that deal was nearly as bad as Montreal giving us McDonagh for Gomez in the first place.