• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mattias Ekholm

I think the Rangers need a solid, experienced LD going into next season. If they want to be a legitimate playoff team, they can't/shouldn't go in with Lindgren/Miller/Jones. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the UFA options, so perhaps they should look at a rental/short term option via trade.

I think the Rangers need to pick a lane on Strome or Buchnevich. One or the other has 1 more year left with the team as they can't afford to keep both long term as things currently stand.

Option 1: Strome for Ekholm

Option 2: Buchnevich for Ekholm and a 2nd round pick

Option 1 is my preference, as I think we need a center who offers different things in the top 6, but whichever option they choose, they can focus on building the position back up either through UFA or trade.

Lindgren-Fox

Ekholm-Trouba

Miller-Lundkvist

I see it, but I don't understand what either player does for Nashville, and I'm not really sure if Ekholm's a "use his size" guy so much as he is a "has size" guy - less Trouba, more K'Andre I think. Nashville's stuck on two horrendous C contracts, strong wing depth, and a lot of question marks on D. Why do this from their perspective? Ekholm doesn't really answer the question for us.

I'd want us to go a different way, especially if it's Buch or Strome on the block.

I see it, but I don't understand what either player does for Nashville, and I'm not really sure if Ekholm's a "use his size" guy so much as he is a "has size" guy - less Trouba, more K'Andre I think. Nashville's stuck on two horrendous C contracts, strong wing depth, and a lot of question marks on D. Why do this from their perspective? Ekholm doesn't really answer the question for us.

I'd want us to go a different way, especially if it's Buch or Strome on the block.

Simple. Nashville needs offense. They've got the goaltending. They've got a solid defense (even after losing Ekholm). They need top 6 forward help, where they are very sorely lacking. I'm pretty sure Duchene wasn't even playing center by season's end, and he's not cutting it for them either. They were going Johansen/Granlund/Haula down the middle (https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/nashville-predators/line-combinations/). Both Granlund and Haula are UFAs. They can choose between Strome and Buch, whichever direction they want to go, but Buch costs more here for obvious reasons.

Simple. Nashville needs offense. They've got the goaltending. They've got a solid defense (even after losing Ekholm). They need top 6 forward help, where they are very sorely lacking. I'm pretty sure Duchene wasn't even playing center by season's end, and he's not cutting it for them either. They were going Johansen/Granlund/Haula down the middle (https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/nashville-predators/line-combinations/). Both Granlund and Haula are UFAs. They can choose between Strome and Buch, whichever direction they want to go, but Buch costs more here for obvious reasons.

Not sure they want a vet with a long-term contract, through. They have the Johansen and Duchene contracts up front, Ellis and Josi contracts on the back, need to sign Forsberg, and everyone else will need new contracts.

Not sure they want a vet with a long-term contract, through. They have the Johansen and Duchene contracts up front, Ellis and Josi contracts on the back, need to sign Forsberg, and everyone else will need new contracts.

Which is true, but they stand to lose Ekholm in that case too. The idea here is that it is, effectively, a one year rental for a one year rental where each team fills a need for next season.

What's Nashville's status? Are they about to rebuild? Seems like they're toast but maybe I'm missing something.

If they are looking to go younger, Strome might not be of interest. The other issue is, if Strome goes, what happens at center? It's near impossible to replace Strome, at his price point and production level for next season.

What's Nashville's status? Are they about to rebuild? Seems like they're toast but maybe I'm missing something.

If they are looking to go younger, Strome might not be of interest. The other issue is, if Strome goes, what happens at center? It's near impossible to replace Strome, at his price point and production level for next season.

I don't think so. Oldest guys are Josi and Ekholm. They have 1 forward over 30. If anything, maybe they need a quick reset if they can move a contract or two, but I imagine they'd want to make a couple of moves to try to compete sooner than later.

Their top 6 is deceptively fine - Forsberg is great and was hurt for most of last year, Johansen is a fine 2c, Arvidsson is a perfectly good 2w, Kunin is solid. Granlund re-signs (may as well!), Tolvanen and Tomasino join up - they're okay here. Duchene was their 1RW later in the year, which...fuck he fell off.

Nashville's issue is more that they're not really sure who or what they are right now. Are they rebuilding? That argument can be made. Are they a playoff team? That argument can be made. Are they going for it all? One or two moves and that holds some water too.

If they're going for it, Buch is a get for them - Strome would be too - but Ekholm wouldn't be on the list. If they're just holding steady, they deal futures for either, which makes no sense for us, and if they're rebuilding, they don't deal for Strome or Buch.

Just not in the cards IMO, but I dig the discussion.

Their top 6 is deceptively fine - Forsberg is great and was hurt for most of last year, Johansen is a fine 2c, Arvidsson is a perfectly good 2w, Kunin is solid. Granlund re-signs (may as well!), Tolvanen and Tomasino join up - they're okay here. Duchene was their 1RW later in the year, which...fuck he fell off.

Nashville's issue is more that they're not really sure who or what they are right now. Are they rebuilding? That argument can be made. Are they a playoff team? That argument can be made. Are they going for it all? One or two moves and that holds some water too.

If they're going for it, Buch is a get for them - Strome would be too - but Ekholm wouldn't be on the list. If they're just holding steady, they deal futures for either, which makes no sense for us, and if they're rebuilding, they don't deal for Strome or Buch.

Just not in the cards IMO, but I dig the discussion.

I guess agree to disagree on the assessment of their offense. It's been mediocre for some time IMO. And yeah, they went out and overpaid Duchene because I suspect they felt the same way about their offense. He's been a shit burger.

I guess agree to disagree on the assessment of their offense. It's been mediocre for some time IMO. And yeah, they went out and overpaid Duchene because I suspect they felt the same way about their offense. He's been a shit burger.

Hey, never said it was awesome. It's decidedly "fine". If they consider themselves contenders, they should make a move to bolster the right side or the 2nd line - but there's not much they can send us that makes sense here.

I don't think so. Oldest guys are Josi and Ekholm. They have 1 forward over 30. If anything, maybe they need a quick reset if they can move a contract or two, but I imagine they'd want to make a couple of moves to try to compete sooner than later.

Ah fair enough. For some reason I assumed they were older. It just seemed like they didn't have much left in the tank this season.