• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Zach Werenski & Boone Jenner

To NYR

Zach Werenski -

6'2" 218

23 year old legit top pair lefty

1 year left @ $5 million AAV

Boone Jenner -

6'2" 208

55% at the dot, pker, power forward

1 year left @ $3.75 million AAV

To CBJ

Lindgren - Can pair with Seth Jones and eat Werenski's minutes

Chytil - Can replace Jenner and add more skill to CBJ top 9

Lundkvist - Can slide into CBJ top 4 and replace Werenski's points

Gauthier - Would add more scoring to their top 9

Leaves you with:

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Jenner - Buch

UFA - Barron - UFA

Werenski - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Jones - Schneider

To NYR

Zach Werenski -

6'2" 218

23 year old legit top pair lefty

1 year left @ $5 million AAV

Boone Jenner -

6'2" 208

55% at the dot, pker, power forward

1 year left @ $3.75 million AAV

To CBJ

Lindgren - Can pair with Seth Jones and eat Werenski's minutes

Chytil - Can replace Jenner and add more skill to CBJ top 9

Lundkvist - Can slide into CBJ top 4 and replace Werenski's points

Gauthier - Would add more scoring to their top 9

Leaves you with:

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Jenner - Buch

UFA - Barron - UFA

Werenski - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Jones - Schneider

Woof. Hard pass.

I'm not married to Lindgren by any means, but I'm not in love with this package much at all. It feels like a helluva lot to give up for Werenski.

I think I'd sooner stick with Lindgren for the time being (he just re-signed) and talk about a trade back scenario in the draft. Jackets are rebuilding again. They may want to move up to 15, so I'd basically offer it for 25 + Jenner.

So...

Chytil, Jones, Gauthier, 15 for Werenski, Jenner, and 25.

Leaves you:

Werenski - Fox

Lindgren - Trouba

Miller - Lundkvist

Schneider in the A

Feels like not quite enough for Werenski, plus then you're also gonna have to move Buch to make the cap work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not going after Werenski at all. I'm saying give up 15, move back to 25 and pick up Jenner.

If you want to add on LD, sign Oleksiak.

Laf - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Jenner - Kakko

Rooney - Bellemare - Reaves

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Oleksiak - Lundkvist

Jones?

I'm not going after Werenski at all. I'm saying give up 15, move back to 25 and pick up Jenner.

Laf - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Jenner - Kakko

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Oleksiak - Lundkvist

Jones?

Yes. Exactly this.

Laf - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Krav

Kreider - Jenner - Kakko

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Oleksiak - Lundkvist

Jones?

I just find it strange, after your post about the size of the D remaining in the playoffs, that you have 6' 190 Lindgren and 5'11" 180 Fox on the top pair while being anti 6'2" 218 Werenski.

At the end of the day my point is, if I'm trading a Lundkvist or a Kravtsov its in a package for a Tkachuk or a young 1st pair left D to pair with Fox for the next decade

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fox is untouchable. Trouba is immoveable. Schneider is something we don't have.

It's math, at this point. Unless you're asking someone to switch sides. Then you have Lindgren, Miller, Jones, Reuannen, Robertson.

Again, math.

Had if anyone on the list, only Fox and Schneider are untouchables IMO.

If Lundqvist ends up being what hes projecting as then moving him would be a horrendous move. And IF you move him you better be getting more in return than Werenski and Boone Jenner especially if you're giving up our best defensive defenseman and two good prospects (Okay one good prospect, one medium prospect- or whatever you would call them at this point) along with him.

Defensemen have switched sides in the past.. is it really unthinkable that one or two of them are capable of doing it? (I am not being facetious- this seems like its worth a try before you start moving high end prospects because you cant find a spot for them)

I think ideally you keep fox and lundqvist as your offensive threats (hey who the hell knows maybe nils isn't all that offensive after all and ends up being a defensive guy like Lindgren) and build around them. If Trouba has to play 7th D at some point then so be it.

Ideally, you move Trouba or Schneider to the left side to play with Fox (or Lundkvist). Adding a bomb of a shot on the other point as another threat for a guy like Fox is crazy. I mean, imagine going from playing with Lindgren to a guy that can actually complement your offensive game.

Ideally, you move Trouba or Schneider to the left side to play with Fox (or Lundkvist). Adding a bomb of a shot on the other point as another threat for a guy like Fox is crazy. I mean, imagine going from playing with Lindgren to a guy that can actually complement your offensive game.

Yea, as well as they play together, I think there is definitely an upgrade to make there. I also dont see how Lindgren will survive more than a few seasons of NHL play at his current pace anyway.

I don’t see how you can acquire Werenski who’s due for a payday when you have Fox earning one in the same offseason. Can’t have three defenseman earning $7M+.

Then you are losing someone else. fox, Zibanejad, Kakko, Miller, etc. Cap space don’t grow on trees.

Yeah. I like Werenski, but this. It won't work tying that much money up in defense.

The crux of this idea is "How do we get Boone Jenner by offering 10+ spots to CBJ?" - which is the right idea. A guy like Jenner slots in nicely, and that probably lets us fall back and get a L'Heureux or something like that in the draft.

Barring Trouba getting Marian Hossa Equipment Allergies (patent pending) Werenski is a luxury we cannot afford cap-wise, and he's too young to be traded as a rental. That kind of locks him out of our cap structure unless he wants to get out of CBJ so badly that he's okay making 5-ish a year.

The idea of Jenner is one that we haven't really thrown around, but it's one that makes a ton of sense for the Rangers and the Jackets.

Jenner makes the right amount to slot in, he's not really due for a massive payday, and the cost should be rather minimal given that CBJ is going full rebuild and he's on the wrong side of 25 for that.

I think Drury has to think of it this way:

If at 15, you've got a center you really like, take them. Maybe it's Raty, maybe McTavish, maybe both are gone - but even 2nd line centers don't get moved easily these days so you kind of have to strike there.

If there's no center, trade down with CBJ, let them move up and take whatever they need, and take back 24 or the Lightning pick alongside Jenner. Target the "nasty wings" - Othmann or L'Heureux

If the draft works out that the guys we want disappear between 15 and 24/29, just trade out of the round.

L'Heureux is a solve for a problem today that might not exist when he's ready to play in the NHL in two or three seasons.

They should be thinking longer term. The straight line north south get a puck on net problem needs to be solved via free agency or trade, not with prospects or picks.

L'Heureux is a solve for a problem today that might not exist when he's ready to play in the NHL in two or three seasons.

They should be thinking longer term. The straight line north south get a puck on net problem needs to be solved via free agency or trade, not with prospects or picks.

Disagree. I'd rather pay for Panarin talent in free agency than Hyman grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where did I suggest paying for Hyman?

We're shopping for a third line center, not a top line wing.

I think that's due to the Rangers history of FA signings - plus the Clarkson et al contracts we've seen recently.

They shouldnt be targeting those guys. They need solid role players, not flashy names.

Avoid that Danger Zone.