• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Hire Gerard Gallant as Head Coach; Signs 4-Year Deal Worth $3.5M per Season

easy to agree with carp but don't we all see that. especially given who is left standing in the final 4 right now.

they have young talent assembled and the trick will be what to let go of to get more sandpaper on this team. that includes the possibility of landing a bonified captain to the group as there's a reason we haven't had one in some years now.

He was let go on Florida because he didnt agree with the GMs philosophy of the teams make up. GM wanted skill, Gallant wanted more size... The Rangers have a skill team. No size to obtain or to bring up. I don't see this working.

I like the coach. I just don't understand how people think he's a fit, unless the Rangers tear it all down.

"Panthers' GM, Gallant were driving different buses" https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3871497

"The Panthers' ownership and other team officials rely heavily on advanced statistics, and Gallant was not the biggest fan of analytics. He spoke openly about how his views differed from the perspective of Florida's management on the analytics issue in August 2015, at a fundraising event hosted by the University of Prince Edward Island.

Gallant told a story about how an unnamed former Florida player looked great to the analytics staff but wasn't the sort of player he wanted.

"I couldn't stand watching him on the ice," Gallant said that night in Canada. "I didn't like the way he played one bit."

Again. He's definitely NOT a fan of analytics. If the GM believes in them and bases all his moves on them, how does this relationship work?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

phil,

a few red flags. one. getting Jagr to play is a waste of space. Jagr played...

not a big x and 0 guy also raises a flag. we all saw av and quinn get out coached. not sure i like that. last paragraph second sentence is better than the first. still have to develop talent here and all players are different in the way you reach them.

im hopeful but dont fell like the rangers just signed a Slam Dunk here.

jmho. thanks.

I don't think he's a slam dunk, either. But I'm optimistic they've got the right guy, or at least a right kind of guy if only to change up the voice in the room. It's been clear that Quinn was tuned out for much of last season by the top players on the team. There's generally no coming back from that.

He was let go on Florida because he didnt agree with the GMs philosophy of the teams make up. GM wanted skill, Gallant wanted more size... The Rangers have a skill team. No size to obtain or to bring up. I don't see this working.

I like the coach. I just don't understand how people think he's a fit, unless the Rangers tear it all down.

"Panthers' GM, Gallant were driving different buses" https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3871497

"The Panthers' ownership and other team officials rely heavily on advanced statistics, and Gallant was not the biggest fan of analytics. He spoke openly about how his views differed from the perspective of Florida's management on the analytics issue in August 2015, at a fundraising event hosted by the University of Prince Edward Island.

Gallant told a story about how an unnamed former Florida player looked great to the analytics staff but wasn't the sort of player he wanted.

"I couldn't stand watching him on the ice," Gallant said that night in Canada. "I didn't like the way he played one bit."

Again. He's definitely NOT a fan of analytics. If the GM believes in them and bases all his moves on them, how does this relationship work?

all good questions. he is a bit above 500 coach with 1 cup final loss under his belt. like the idea of straight ahead game but dont see adjust on the fly. probably the right fit for this team now depending what they do in the off season but i got a hard time understanding that jd didnt see this all and was on the path to fixing it... just me argue as you wish

I don't think he's a slam dunk, either. But I'm optimistic they've got the right guy, or at least a right kind of guy if only to change up the voice in the room. It's been clear that Quinn was tuned out for much of last season by the top players on the team. There's generally no coming back from that.

i agree with that. quinn had to go. im not trashing the hire please understand. i just hope it brings progress. we have a good foundation for the house. drury will be the key here in how he adds moving forward, probably more than the coach.

Easily — analytics are for the front office to make personnel decisions. The lineup is the coaches call. In other words, Drury will use all the data he can to make the best, most informed decisions about who to keep, and whoever he keeps/acquires, Gallant will play (or not).

Easily — analytics are for the front office to make personnel decisions. The lineup is the coaches call. In other words, Drury will use all the data he can to make the best, most informed decisions about who to keep, and whoever he keeps/acquires, Gallant will play (or not).

Read the above. The GM could bring in what he himself feels is a good player, while the coach "can't stand to see the player on the ice". When the GM and coach don't agree on team needs, you get Neil Smith vs Mike Keenan. Chaos, back stabbing, hatred and disorder.

Again I like Gallant and his style, but this is oil and water and can make for a very uncomfortable season. I have a feeling a kid like Kakko is absolutely fucked here. People say his analytics were better this year and that's some huge improvement. I don't see Gallant sharing the same sentiment. Stuff like that are going to come to a head. You going to be OK with the new coach not liking the way Kakko has now been trained to play? Benching and scratching him in favor of a "Gallant type"?

You're GM has to be on the same page as your coach.

Can we at least play a game with him as head coach before we start saying they arent going to get along?

Drury hired him, he obviously sees something in him that he likes a lot. It’s not an issue until it’s an issue. And then it can be remedied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You also get a Cup. I dont care how we get there..

Read the above. The GM could bring in what he himself feels is a good player, while the coach "can't stand to see the player on the ice". When the GM and coach don't agree on team needs, you get Neil Smith vs Mike Keenan. Chaos, back stabbing, hatred and disorder.

Again I like Gallant and his style, but this is oil and water and can make for a very uncomfortable season. I have a feeling a kid like Kakko is absolutely fucked here. People say his analytics were better this year and that's some huge improvement. I don't see Gallant sharing the same sentiment. Stuff like that are going to come to a head. You going to be OK with the new coach not liking the way Kakko has now been trained to play? Benching and scratching him in favor of a "Gallant type"?

That was one player, and Florida was a supremely unique front office scenario with a heavy handed approach to analytics. I don't know it for a fact, I just know it's true — Drury ain't one of the "computer boys."

Gallant isn't going to have any issues with Kakko. He's a big, strong, defensively responsible forward. If the points continue not to come, it's the front office, not the coach, who'll have the problem.

The guys who have to worry are guys like Zibanejad, Kreider, and Strome.

That was one player, and Florida was a supremely unique front office scenario with a heavy handed approach to analytics. I don't know it for a fact, I just know it's true — Drury ain't one of the "computer boys."

Gallant isn't going to have any issues with Kakko. He's a big, strong, defensively responsible forward. If the points continue not to come, it's the front office, not the coach, who'll have the problem.

The guys who have to worry are guys like Zibanejad, Kreider, and Strome.

100% and Chytil

The idea that Gallant flat out rejects analytics is false. Even a cursory Google search would reveal that. Look up "Gerard Gallant analytics" and the second and third results are both about how he wasn't fired because he doesn't believe in analytics. Both articles contain the same quotes:

"No, it wasn't huge about analytics," Gallant said. "For me, analytics is certainly part of coaching, but it's not the whole thing. In my mind, if I take a job, analytics is part of it for sure, 25 to 30 percent, whatever percentage you want to put on it. It's definitely a tool. If you get the right information, you're happy with that. Every coach uses analytics. We all go over the same stuff.

"I wasn't fired because of analytics," he continued. "I loved coaching the Florida Panthers and I'm a stubborn guy at times; maybe I said a little too much, maybe I gave my opinion a little bit too much. Maybe when they asked for my opinion, I have an honest opinion and sometimes it doesn't help you. Maybe it wasn't always what they wanted to hear. I don't know where it went from there ..."

Link: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18435294/nhl-fired-florida-panthers-coach-gerard-gallant-says-fired-refused-embrace-analytics

Here you have Doug MacLean at around 10:07 recounting a conversation with Dale Tallon:

"He's pushing Gerard Gallant to anybody that will listen to him. And I don't blame him; he had a great relationship. He didn't fire him. Vinny Viola fired him...Here's what happened, Gerard was getting texts during the intermission from the analytics clowns in the press boss telling him, with the minority owner, who to put on lines. The minority owner and the analytics guys would sit together and send Gerard texts who to play with who from the press box...And then it eventually became a battle and Viola fired him."

I don't think Gallant is in the wrong here. He's the coach.

• Like 1

The idea that Gallant flat out rejects analytics is false. Even a cursory Google search would reveal that. Look up "Gerard Gallant analytics" and the second and third results are both about how he wasn't fired because he doesn't believe in analytics. Both articles contain the same quotes:

Link: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18435294/nhl-fired-florida-panthers-coach-gerard-gallant-says-fired-refused-embrace-analytics

Here you have Doug MacLean at around 10:07 recounting a conversation with Dale Tallon:

"He's pushing Gerard Gallant to anybody that will listen to him. And I don't blame him; he had a great relationship. He didn't fire him. Vinny Viola fired him...Here's what happened, Gerard was getting texts during the intermission from the analytics clowns in the press boss telling him, with the minority owner, who to put on lines. The minority owner and the analytics guys would sit together and send Gerard texts who to play with who from the press box...And then it eventually became a battle and Viola fired him."

I don't think Gallant is in the wrong here. He's the coach.

Come on man you're killing the GM and coach he just hired aren't on the same page already vibe. I would sign up for a Smith/Keenan rivalry and the cup that came with it in a heartbeat given the option.

Kakko should be fine. His eyeball improvement was parallel to his analytic improvement.

I'm thinking about Buchevich making a "tik tac toe" gesture after scoring. That won't endear him to Gallant.

Desultory play by Kreider and Miller will not go over well.

To me, his success will depend on not being a control freak. Some guys, like Panarin, Fox and perhaps LaF, you need to just back off and let them play their game.

Some players will blossom under him and some will wilt. We can only home it's more of the former.

I would have liked to have heard his answer to the question, "What have you learned from your previous assignments and what would you do differently now?"

Kakko should be fine. His eyeball improvement was parallel to his analytic improvement.

I'm thinking about Buchevich making a "tik tac toe" gesture after scoring. That won't endear him to Gallant.

Desultory play by Kreider and Miller will not go over well.

To me, his success will depend on not being a control freak. Some guys, like Panarin, Fox and perhaps LaF, you need to just back off and let them play their game.

Some players will blossom under him and some will wilt. We can only home it's more of the former.

I would have liked to have heard his answer to the question, "What have you learned from your previous assignments and what would you do differently now?"

Neither of the two bolded parts properly reflect Gallant. He's not some traditional stickler nor is he a control freak.

Guy has no system. He just sends em out there claps his hands and says "let's go!" He's barely a coach, he's a father figure.

The assistant coaching hires will be massively important now.

Rumors of Girardi to coach the D are pretty scary considering his inexperience.

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am we didn't go with Knoblauch after watching the team run through a wall for the guy. Hopefully he doesn't get poached out of Hartford before Gallant is fired in 2 or 3 years so he can have his rightful spot here.

Guy has no system. He just sends em out there claps his hands and says "let's go!" He's barely a coach, he's a father figure.

The assistant coaching hires will be massively important now.

Rumors of Girardi to coach the D are pretty scary considering his inexperience.

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am we didn't go with Knoblauch after watching the team run through a wall for the guy. Hopefully he doesn't get poached out of Hartford before Gallant is fired in 2 or 3 years so he can have his rightful spot here.

His Vegas team was the textbook example of a team with a sound system adapted to the players at his disposal, allowing them to perform stratospherically above their station.

Pretty sure it was more to that team than clapping his hands tbh.