• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Hire Gerard Gallant as Head Coach; Signs 4-Year Deal Worth $3.5M per Season

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The article you linked contains just an excerpt where he mentions a disagreement relating to analytics which is correlated to the same ugly situation in Florida I mentioned.

There's a difference between "I don't like analytics" and "I don't like that analytics guys are telling me how to do my job." It doesn't take much inference to realize what he obviously means is the latter.

I don't think the words " I couldn't stand watching him on the ice," Gallant said. "I didn't like the way he played one bit. Some of it is really good, but some of it, you can't get fooled by it." In talking about analytics is really a stamp of approval for the method.

"Florida Panthers announce the firing of coach Gerard Gallant" https://amp.naplesnews.com/amp/94540304

Gallant denies that analytics was the reason for his dismissal, acknowledging them as a tool to use but acknowledging his stubbornness as a coach. However, after his dismissal from Vegas, the idea that Gallant was fired for being anti analytics has once again surfaced in hockey media.

"Gerard Gallant’s Next Job Is Less Clear Than It Seems. | by Peter Cioth | Medium" https://petercioth.medium.com/gerard-gallants-next-job-is-less-clear-than-it-seems-15770f0c3242

"One last note which will be crucial is how Gallant responds to other factors of player analysis. While never proven, and something that he denies, there is smoke around Gallant’s relative stubbornness to accept analytics as a player evaluation tool. Drury is into analytics as a tool, and it’s safe to assume they’ve had that conversation. I’m sure this will come into play with roster decisions, both in the offseason and throughout next season. The barometer will be Brett Howden."

"Thoughts following Gerard Gallant being named head coach" https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/06/15/thoughts-following-gerard-gallant-being-named-head-coach/amp/

I thought you said you searched and found nothing? Seems like a few writers share my concerns.

I don't think the words " I couldn't stand watching him on the ice," Gallant said. "I didn't like the way he played one bit. Some of it is really good, but some of it, you can't get fooled by it." In talking about analytics is really a stamp of approval for the method.

"Florida Panthers announce the firing of coach Gerard Gallant" https://amp.naplesnews.com/amp/94540304

Gallant denies that analytics was the reason for his dismissal, acknowledging them as a tool to use but acknowledging his stubbornness as a coach. However, after his dismissal from Vegas, the idea that Gallant was fired for being anti analytics has once again surfaced in hockey media.

"Gerard Gallant’s Next Job Is Less Clear Than It Seems. | by Peter Cioth | Medium" https://petercioth.medium.com/gerard-gallants-next-job-is-less-clear-than-it-seems-15770f0c3242

"One last note which will be crucial is how Gallant responds to other factors of player analysis. While never proven, and something that he denies, there is smoke around Gallant’s relative stubbornness to accept analytics as a player evaluation tool. Drury is into analytics as a tool, and it’s safe to assume they’ve had that conversation. I’m sure this will come into play with roster decisions, both in the offseason and throughout next season. The barometer will be Brett Howden."

"Thoughts following Gerard Gallant being named head coach" https://blueseatblogs.com/2021/06/15/thoughts-following-gerard-gallant-being-named-head-coach/amp/

I thought you said you searched and found nothing? Seems like a few writers share my concerns.

How do you equate this: "Even a cursory Google search would reveal that. Look up "Gerard Gallant analytics" and the second and third results are both about how he wasn't fired because he doesn't believe in analytics." with "I searched and found nothing." Those don't even remotely convey the same thing. Do you actually not understand what I'm writing or did you forget in the attempt to make your argument?

You haven't even provided any additional argument supporting that Gallant is against analytics. You've recycled the same quote which you haven't bothered to look at critically. He's saying he disagrees with the numbers on a player and didn't want to play that player. The numbers don't match the visuals. That is all he's saying. He's the coach. It's his right to determine that. He's not saying "fuck analytics." The analytics might say that some scrub might be deserving of more time, but maybe Gallant thinks that scrub actually doesn't hustle so he wouldn't help. He's the coach. He should determine that. Not some data analyst.

The title of the article I linked is literally called "Gerard Gallant says he wasn't fired by the Florida Panthers because he failed to embrace analytics" so I'm not blind to the fact that people think that he's anti analytics. It's just that when you try to find anything supporting this notion that he's anti analytics, you find nothing conclusive supporting that belief. You find excerpts from blogs like the ones you pulled and tidbits like "well supposedly he doesn't like analytics" but nothing from him or anyone who actually matters. But when you do see him related to analytics it's because he got into a disagreement with an analytics-based front office that no longer exists.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/15/gerard-gallant-is-ideal-choice-to-solve-issue-that-haunted-rangers/

There's plenty more insight from Jagr on Gallant in the article.

Hopefully he can reach and Gauthier get his game on track. Gallant like using larger players. Can he get more out of Kreider? As a successful power forward himself, you'd think he may relate more to players with similar games to how he played.

Gallant rosters seem to usually have a bit of girth up and down. You have to wonder if bigger changes are coming.

How do you equate this: "Even a cursory Google search would reveal that. Look up "Gerard Gallant analytics" and the second and third results are both about how he wasn't fired because he doesn't believe in analytics." with "I searched and found nothing." Those don't even remotely convey the same thing. Do you actually not understand what I'm writing or did you forget in the attempt to make your argument?

You haven't even provided any additional argument supporting that Gallant is against analytics. You've recycled the same quote which you haven't bothered to look at critically. He's saying he disagrees with the numbers on a player and didn't want to play that player. The numbers don't match the visuals. That is all he's saying. He's the coach. It's his right to determine that. He's not saying "fuck analytics." The analytics might say that some scrub might be deserving of more time, but maybe Gallant thinks that scrub actually doesn't hustle so he wouldn't help. He's the coach. He should determine that. Not some data analyst.

The title of the article I linked is literally called "Gerard Gallant says he wasn't fired by the Florida Panthers because he failed to embrace analytics" so I'm not blind to the fact that people think that he's anti analytics. It's just that when you try to find anything supporting this notion that he's anti analytics, you find nothing conclusive supporting that belief. You find excerpts from blogs like the ones you pulled and tidbits like "well supposedly he doesn't like analytics" but nothing from him or anyone who actually matters. But when you do see him related to analytics it's because he got into a disagreement with an analytics-based front office that no longer exists.

? He says "Some of it is really good, but some of it, you can't get fooled by it."

That doesn't sound like he believes much in them. Sounds more like he wants to continue to coach and will not completely shit on analytics, knowing it's a growing part of how teams are being built and that GMs will be turned off by stating that it's bullshit.

If the GM acquires a player based on his analytics and asks the coach why he's not playing more, but the coach uses his absolute right to not use him, because he thinks he doesn't hustle and should determine that AS YOU SAID is my exact point.

It's 2 different philosophies and they WILL clash, just as they have in the past. It may not reach the alleged heights it did in Florida, but if the coach wants one thing and the GM wants something else, there's bound to be a problem.

As for the article title. Don't care. Reasons are given above. He's not going to shoot himself in the foot. After great early success in Vegas, he was once again dismissed quite quickly. There's a trend. His players love him. Yet he's gone very fast. Doesn't that tell you all you need? He has rough relations with his GMs. Typically that's a personnel discrepancy...

? He says "Some of it is really good, but some of it, you can't get fooled by it."

That doesn't sound like he believes much in them. Sounds more like he wants to continue to coach and will not completely shit on analytics, knowing it's a growing part of how teams are being built and that GMs will be turned off by stating that it's bullshit.

If the GM acquires a player based on his analytics and asks the coach why he's not playing more, but the coach uses his absolute right to not use him, because he thinks he doesn't hustle and should determine that AS YOU SAID is my exact point.

It's 2 different philosophies and they WILL clash, just as they have in the past. It may not reach the alleged heights it did in Florida, but if the coach wants one thing and the GM wants something else, there's bound to be a problem.

As for the article title. Don't care. Reasons are given above. He's not going to shoot himself in the foot. After great early success in Vegas, he was once again dismissed quite quickly. There's a trend. His players love him. Yet he's gone very fast. Doesn't that tell you all you need? He has rough relations with his GMs. Typically that's a personnel discrepancy...

That's not at all how I read that. What that says to me is that you can't take analytics at face value which is what he's saying. Analytics by themselves don't tell the full story. They told the story that a player should play more. What Gallant saw as a coach was different. Do you not even take into account that he mentions a single instance of it? It's not like he's mentioning a litany of instances. There's one cited incident where he says the numbers didn't match the player and he didn't like it. Big deal. That's not Gallant disliking analytics, that's him disagreeing with them in an instance. If I say that I don't like cheese on a certain sandwich does that mean I dislike cheese or just on that type of sandwich? Do you understand how you're arriving at a conclusion with not nearly enough runway to support it?

Even then, this argument is rooted entirely in some hypothetical. Drury knows the type of coach he hired in Gallant. There shouldn't be a disconnect there. The players Drury will be acquiring will be to fit Gallant's mold. Do you think teams just acquire players because they have good analytics? Does anything about the Rangers as an organization telegraph that? Because it shouldn't. We don't even have conclusive support of Drury's support for analytics. He just mentioned it tangentially in his first interview. JD mentioned it in his first interview as president and the Rangers were far from a forerunner in analytics. Even then, the Rangers situation won't even become as toxic as the one in Florida. Gallant was hired by Dale Tallon who was forced out of his GM positon with a promotion that effectively removed him from day-to-day decision-making in favor of Tom Rowe and his analytics associates. Rowe and Co. were the ones hounding Gallant like inexperienced idiots they were. They fired him because they thought they knew better and then found themselves ousted only for Tallon to be in charge again. You won't find a situation like that here because you won't find people as stupid as Vinny Viola or Tom Rowe involved, thinking that some analytics guys need to be giving commands to the coach.

That's not at all how I read that. What that says to me is that you can't take analytics at face value which is what he's saying. Analytics by themselves don't tell the full story. They told the story that a player should play more. What Gallant saw as a coach was different. Do you not even take into account that he mentions a single instance of it? It's not like he's mentioning a litany of instances. There's one cited incident where he says the numbers didn't match the player and he didn't like it. Big deal. That's not Gallant disliking analytics, that's him disagreeing with them in an instance. If I say that I don't like cheese on a certain sandwich does that mean I dislike cheese or just on that type of sandwich? Do you understand how you're arriving at a conclusion with not nearly enough runway to support it?

Even then, this argument is rooted entirely in some hypothetical. Drury knows the type of coach he hired in Gallant. There shouldn't be a disconnect there. The players Drury will be acquiring will be to fit Gallant's mold. Do you think teams just acquire players because they have good analytics? Does anything about the Rangers as an organization telegraph that? Because it shouldn't. We don't even have conclusive support of Drury's support for analytics. He just mentioned it tangentially in his first interview. JD mentioned it in his first interview as president and the Rangers were far from a forerunner in analytics. Even then, the Rangers situation won't even become as toxic as the one in Florida. Gallant was hired by Dale Tallon who was forced out of his GM positon with a promotion that effectively removed him from day-to-day decision-making in favor of Tom Rowe and his analytics associates. Rowe and Co. were the ones hounding Gallant like inexperienced idiots they were. They fired him because they thought they knew better and then found themselves ousted only for Tallon to be in charge again. You won't find a situation like that here because you won't find people as stupid as Vinny Viola or Tom Rowe involved, thinking that some analytics guys need to be giving commands to the coach.

From the article I posted-

Gallant told a story about how an unnamed former Florida player looked great to the analytics staff but wasn't the sort of player he wanted.

"I couldn't stand watching him on the ice," Gallant said that night in Canada. "I didn't like the way he played one bit."

K sure. He just didn't agree.. Yup.

I guess I just made up the thing about Drury being an analytics guy. As did the other writers.

Gallant’s penchant for being fired abruptly is not a red flag at all and most likely gets along splendidly with GMs.

This isn't anything you were saying. It's the new conclusion I have come to, due to your insight. Thanks.

Gallant told a story about how an unnamed former Florida player looked great to the analytics staff but wasn't the sort of player he wanted.

"I couldn't stand watching him on the ice," Gallant said that night in Canada. "I didn't like the way he played one bit."

I guess I just made up the thing about Drury being an analytics guy. As did the other writers.

Gallant’s penchant for being fired abruptly is not a red flag at all and most likely gets along splendidly with GMs.

This isn't anything you were saying. It's the new conclusion I have come to, due to your insight. Thanks.

:thumbs:

Who was it?

https://theathletic.com/2655206/2021/06/16/lebrun-the-jack-eichel-sweepstakes-have-begun-nhl-coaching-carousel-news/

Players who had him in Florida and Vegas have spoken glowingly of him.

It sounds like Gallant came across really well in his conversations with Rangers GM Chris Drury, as far as communicating both what he felt were his positives and negatives from his previous NHL stops, a level of accountability that spoke to his genuine manner.

Gallant, according to sources, agreed to a four-year deal worth just a little under $3.5 million per season on average. It’s not the kind of 5 year/$5 million deal the likes of Alain Vigneault in Philadelphia and Todd McLellan in Los Angeles got in pre-pandemic years. but given the adjusted NHL economy of the last year, it’s a real nice deal.

The Rangers are on the rise and I think they just got the coach to bring them over that hump.

is it odd that the team hasn't officially announced the news yet?

Conspiracy theory, Gallant himself leaked the story to Brooksie. Brooksie reports it, fans get excited, and now the team HAS to move forward with hiring

Seems to be now. Press conference on Tuesday.

Mike Kelly will likely come coach with him again. He's coached with him everywhere he's been. Carp also noted that Dan Girardi is high on Drury's list to coach the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Kelly will likely come coach with him again. He's coached with him everywhere he's been. Carp also noted that Dan Girardi is high on Drury's list to coach the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd rather the coach pick his own assistants. Girardi has one month experience as an assistant at any level. Not sure he's the guy they should be considering. When Beuk and Samuelsson were given their chances they atleast spent a year in the minors on the job. Girardi was a "developmental coach" prior to being promoted through an awful Buffalo system to an NHL assistant coach..

Gallant has zero ties to him. I just think it's weird that the GM is reported as making the decision.

I’m cool with Girardi in a development role but otherwise I agree rather Gallant bring his own guys in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you "Big Daddy"! ;) I think he should bring in the guys he will be successful with.

Why not let Girardi get his feet wet elsewhere first?

He did, as an interim coach with the Sabres for however many games it was he coached.

Oh shit, you're right Phil...I forgot about that....yeah but still, wouldn't you rather Gallant have his own say in who "his guys" should be?

I wouldn't wanna saddle him with a guy either he doesn't want or didn't pick...but that's me. ;)

Sure. But I don't share in the fear that Drury is trying to run the whole operation without input from the guys he's actually hiring. It strains credulity to the point of fracture with regard to Gallant, specifically, who was literally fired in Florida for clashing with a meddling front office who were literally trying to make lineup changes during the game.

Drury would have to be the biggest idiot in the game to turn around and hire that same coach and then put him into the exact same situation that got him fired in the first place.

Sure. But I don't share in the fear that Drury is trying to run the whole operation without input from the guys he's actually hiring. It strains credulity to the point of fracture with regard to Gallant, specifically, who was literally fired in Florida for clashing with a meddling front office who were literally trying to make lineup changes during the game.

Drury would have to be the biggest idiot in the game to turn around and hire that same coach and then put him into the exact same situation that got him fired in the first place.

I can dig that....

I also found this take on Gallant: