• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Nils Lundkvist to 3-Year ELC; $1.775M AAV

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he gets traded. Look at the size of defenseman cores that win the cup each year. Look at the size of the defenseman in the last 4 teams standing this year. You don't win with shrimps on defense. Jones will never play here long term. Lundkvist probably not more than a year. You can carry Fox. That's it. The rest have to be big or at least 6'0 and physical. Fox, Miller, Schneider, Robertson, Trouba, Lindgren. That's how I see it going forward long term. Size on defense is a huge factor in the playoffs.

I think he gets traded. Look at the size of defenseman cores that win the cup each year. Look at the size of the defenseman in the last 4 teams standing this year. You don't win with shrimps on defense. Jones will never play here long term. Lundkvist probably not more than a year. You can carry Fox. That's it. The rest have to be big or at least 6'0 and physical. Fox, Miller, Schneider, Robertson, Trouba, Lindgren. That's how I see it going forward long term. Size on defense is a huge factor in the playoffs.

true but there's not one way to win the cup.

I disagree. People used to say the same thing about forwards, yet half of Tampa's forwards are 6' or smaller.

Sure, Nick Holden is likely only in the Vegas lineup because he is 6'4" with a passable skill set. Were Nick Holden 5'10" he'd likely be replaced big a bigger player with a passable skill set that could fill the 16-17 minutes a night. But, this isn't a case of average defenseman that are small. If Jones and Lundkvist meet their potential/expectations they are elite puck moving defensemen.

If they play it right, they should be ok.

Trouba - Fox

Miller - Lundkvist

Robertson - Schneider

Lindgren [iR]

That's still a big D-corps. The guys you are worried about are a Norris finalist and a SHL version of the Norris winner.

Lindgren IR, LOL.

Moving Trouba to the left is a big ask, but it definitely alleviates a big log jam problem.

Imagine if Fox had a RH shot on the other the opposite point...

Lundkvist occasionally played on the left-side, and lined up there during the PP. But, going along with the discussion, not sure I'm too keen on icing Lundkvist - Fox on a regular basis.

Oh, I like the idea a ton, I'm just not sure it'll actaully work. It's one of those "on paper" things that seems completely logical, but may not be, just like my push to move Kreider to RW (stick to center ice).

Imagine if Fox had a RH shot on the other the opposite point...

Lundkvist occasionally played on the left-side, and lined up there during the PP. But, going along with the discussion, not sure I'm too keen on icing Lundkvist - Fox on a regular basis.

Quinn's gone, but we did see ADA-Fox on a pair when they needed a goal in the 3rd..

Quinn's gone, but we did see ADA-Fox on a pair when they needed a goal in the 3rd..

Fox should win the Norris just for carrying that pair for a period.

I want to say that one of our prospects - Schneider or Robertson, can't recall which - can play both sides.

Fox should win the Norris just for carrying that pair for a period.

I want to say that one of our prospects - Schneider or Robertson, can't recall which - can play both sides.

People kept listing Robertson as playing on the right side, but he didn't.

You can't play three 175 pound D men with this forward group and hope to win anything. They'll certainly look unbeatable at times, and it'll be seductive stuuf, for sure, but when push comes to shove they'll be over matched.

The hard choice is picking the guy to go. Lundqvist has a tonne of value, and I would imagine Jones doesn't have much. Tough decisions, for sure, but they need to deal from strength.

You can't play three 175 lb defenders with any forward group and hope to win anything. The biggest problem with all this stuff is year-after-year we go through these exercises and fans clamor and clamor to build, in effect, the best regular season roster, and year-after-year, the best regular season rosters get bounced in the playoffs, and the best teams — the clubs with the best balance of skill and strength are who go deepest. Look at the final four this year. Really look at them. Look at their blue lines, especially:

The Knights don't have a single defender under 6'1 and their lightest defender is Theordore (195). Their top-four can't be moved. Martinez is 6'1, 209. Pietrangelo is 6'3, 210. McNabb is 6'4, 216. Theodore is 6'2, 195.

The Islanders don't one regular defenseman under 6'0 (Andy Greene) and he plays on their third pairing. Their top-four can't be moved. Pelech is 6'3, 205. Pulock is 6'2, 215. Leddy is 6'0, 207. Mayfield is 6'5, 220.

The Habs don't have a single defender under 6'0. Their top-four: Chiarot (6'3, 234), Weber (6'4, 229), Kulak (6'1, 192), Edmundson (6'4, 227).

The Lightning have no one under 6'1. Their top-four: Hedman (6'6, 241), Rutta (6'3, 204), McDonagh (6'1, 215), Cernak (6'3, 220). Their third pairing is Sergachev (6'3, 216) and Savard (6'2, 233).

Notice the trend yet?

• Like 1

You can't play three 175 lb defenders with any forward group and hope to win anything. The biggest problem with all this stuff is year-after-year we go through these exercises and fans clamor and clamor to build, in effect, the best regular season roster, and year-after-year, the best regular season rosters get bounced in the playoffs, and the best teams — the clubs with the best balance of skill and strength are who go deepest. Look at the final four this year. Really look at them. Look at their blue lines, especially:

The Knights don't have a single defender under 6'1 and their lightest defender is Theordore (195). Their top-four can't be moved. Martinez is 6'1, 209. Pietrangelo is 6'3, 210. McNabb is 6'4, 216. Theodore is 6'2, 195.

The Islanders don't one regular defenseman under 6'0 (Andy Greene) and he plays on their third pairing. Their top-four can't be moved. Pelech is 6'3, 205. Pulock is 6'2, 215. Leddy is 6'0, 207. Mayfield is 6'5, 220.

The Habs don't have a single defender under 6'0. Their top-four: Chiarot (6'3, 234), Weber (6'4, 229), Kulak (6'1, 192), Edmundson (6'4, 227).

The Lightning have no one under 6'1. Their top-four: Hedman (6'6, 241), Rutta (6'3, 204), McDonagh (6'1, 215), Cernak (6'3, 220). Their third pairing is Sergachev (6'3, 216) and Savard (6'2, 233).

Notice the trend yet?

Amen.