• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 | WDSR | (W1) Colorado Avalanche vs. (W2) Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

GDT_2018-19_Header.png?raw=1

(W1) Colorado Avalanche vs. (W2) Vegas Golden Knights

E2hr1sJXoAEdM3j?format=jpg&name=smalll

REGULAR SEASON RECORDS:

Avalanche: 39-13-4, 82 points

Golden Knights: 40-14-2, 82 points

SEASON SERIES:

COL 4-3-1; VGK 4-4-0

GDT_2018-19_Spacer.png?raw=1

[table=width: 650, align: center]

[tr]

[td]GAME BREAKERS:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Avalanche: MacKinnon leads the Stanley Cup Playoffs with six goals and became the first player in Avalanche/Quebec Nordiques history to score nine points in a series while playing four or fewer games. MacKinnon has scored 63 points (26 goals, 37 assists) in 44 playoff games; his average of 1.43 points per game is third in NHL history among players with at least 40 playoff games, behind Wayne Gretzky (1.84) and Mario Lemieux (1.61). He scored six points (two goals, four assists) in eight games against the Golden Knights this season.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Golden Knights: Stone led the Golden Knights with four goals and was tied for second with five points while averaging 19:33 in ice time against the Wild. The Vegas captain scored 61 points (21 goals, 40 assists) in 55 games during the regular season, including six points (one goal, five assists) in eight games against the Avalanche.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]GOALTENDING:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Avalanche: Grubauer had a 1.75 goals-against average and a .936 save percentage in four games against the Blues in the first round. He was 4-2-1 with a 1.86 GAA and a .935 save percentage in seven games against the Golden Knights during the regular season. "When we need a save, whether it's by a breakdown or a turnover, he's there to make those saves for us," Bednar said. "Everyone in our room and within our organization values 'Grubi' on what he's done for us."[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Golden Knights: Marc-Andre Fleury and Robin Lehner shared the Jennings Trophy with Vegas allowing the fewest goals (124) during the regular season, but the playoffs have belonged to Fleury. The 36-year-old started all seven games in the first round and had a 1.71 GAA, a .931 save percentage and one shutout. He was 4-3-0 with a 2.14 GAA, a .932 save percentage and two shutouts in seven regular-season games against the Avalanche. In his only start against Colorado, Lehner made 19 saves in a 2-1 loss May 10.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]X FACTORS:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Avalanche: Cale Makar scored three points (one goal, two assists) and had 10 shots on goal in four games against the Blues, but it was the defenseman's ability to exit his zone with poise and authority while creating offensive chances that made him so effective. The Avalanche had 60.5 percent of the 5-on-5 shot attempts when Makar was on the ice in the first round.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Golden Knights: Pacioretty made his series debut in Game 7 and scored the game-winning goal. The forward had missed the previous 12 games, including the final five of the regular season, because of an undisclosed injury. His healthy return at left wing on the top line with Stone and Chandler Stephenson provided a boost for an offense that averaged 2.33 goals per game in the first six games against Minnesota. Pacioretty led Vegas with eight points (six goals, two assists) in seven games against Colorado during the regular season, and he scored a Golden Knights-leading 24 goals in 48 games this season.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]WILL WIN IF:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Avalanche: The top line of MacKinnon (six goals, three assists), Landeskog (two goals, six assists) and Mikko Rantanen (one goal, six assists), which has combined for 24 points (nine goals, 15 assists) in the playoffs, continues to thrive, and they get secondary scoring from forwards Joonas Donskoi (two goals, one assist) and Brandon Saad (three goals), who combined for six points (five goals, one assist) in the first round. They also need Grubauer to continue his strong play. [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Golden Knights: The defense can retrieve pucks and transition quickly to limit Colorado's offensive zone time while also eliminating the number of screen shots in front of Fleury. The goalie must be on his 'A' game and cognizant of his rebound control because the Avalanche excel at the net front. If offensive help can also be provided by forwards Mattias Janmark, Alex Tuch and Jonathan Marchessault, that's a bonus.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

More: https://www.nhl.com/news/colorado-avalanche-vegas-golden-knights-playoff-preview/c-325070556

BSBH_GDT_Footer1.gif?raw=1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We joke but the truth is that when you obliterate a defenseless player who scored a hat trick last game and injure him and you get only two for interference, this is the expected result. I have no problem with this because the hit that knocked janmark out of the game was just as dirty, and just as much an attempt to injure.

The elephant in the room here is that if the league really wanted to see this stuff stop happening they would make changes to how the game is allowed to be played. They did when they changed the hooking rule and they can do it in the same way when it comes to defenseless players. This bs about the principal point of contact being the head has clearly done nothing, so now it’s just a matter of do they want to do more or not. Until then, when you take a cheap shot against a guy and knock him out of the game, you can expect to have some violence against you. Otherwise you should probably not be hitting guys away from the puck when they aren’t looking. Pretty much that simple.

Fluery had played 7 intense games over the past 13 days and is 36 years old. I think it was a smart move. As it turns out, they would have lost anyway and would have had to turn to Lehner in a more dire situation.

We joke but the truth is that when you obliterate a defenseless player who scored a hat trick last game and injure him and you get only two for interference, this is the expected result. I have no problem with this because the hit that knocked janmark out of the game was just as dirty, and just as much an attempt to injure.

The elephant in the room here is that if the league really wanted to see this stuff stop happening they would make changes to how the game is allowed to be played. They did when they changed the hooking rule and they can do it in the same way when it comes to defenseless players. This bs about the principal point of contact being the head has clearly done nothing, so now it’s just a matter of do they want to do more or not. Until then, when you take a cheap shot against a guy and knock him out of the game, you can expect to have some violence against you. Otherwise you should probably not be hitting guys away from the puck when they aren’t looking. Pretty much that simple.

I have a problem with kneeling on a player laying on the ice and continuing the beating. That's not hockey, regardless of what else happened in the game.

Also, players like Reeves and Tom Wilson are in a different weight class. When they lose control they inflict more damage.

MacKinnon is really making as the best player in the league. His playoff numbers are absolutely insane.

Last 2 years he's played 20 playoffs games and is 17 - 20 - 37. That is unreal

Best player in the league as far as I’m concerned. Watching him skate and turn on the jets at any given moment is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Tough, tough loss for VGK tonight after COL gets a PP in OT. They're absolutely unstoppable.

That was a terrible penalty to call in OT. I have to see the replay but was there even a slash on the play? Looks like the guy just lost his stick.

MacKinnon is a human hockey cheat code.

I'm stealing this one, Sharpy!!! :rofl:

They make it look pretty easy, don't they?

The Avs were always a great "watch" after the Rangers games this season for me. I can't even count how many times I thought to myself..."If we only played like these guys". ;)

I'm stealing this one, Sharpy!!! :rofl:

They make it look pretty easy, don't they?

The Avs were always a great "watch" after the Rangers games this season for me. I can't even count how many times I thought to myself..."If we only played like these guys". ;)

I hope one day they can at least get to 70% of how the Avalanche play. I'd be happy with that. lol