• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 | CDSR | (C1) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (C3) Tampa Bay Lightning

Phil

Who wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

GDT_2018-19_Header.png?raw=1

(C1) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (C3) Tampa Bay Lightning

E2cxCvtX0AMY0pn?format=jpg&name=small

REGULAR SEASON RECORDS:

Hurricanes: 36-12-8, 80 points

Lightning: 36-17-3, 75 points

SEASON SERIES:

CAR 4-3-1; TBL 4-3-1

GDT_2018-19_Spacer.png?raw=1

[table=width: 650, align: center]

[tr]

[td]GAME BREAKERS:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Hurricanes: Aho is the Hurricanes' most dangerous player because of his offensive instincts and talent, his speed, defensive acumen and ability to transition quickly out of the defensive zone and into scoring chances. Aho scored seven points (five goals, two assists) in the first round, including two game-winning goals. He led the Hurricanes with 57 points (24 goals, 33 assists) in 56 games during the regular season. Aho already is tied for fourth in Hurricanes/Hartford Whalers history with 31 points (13 goals, 18 assists) in the playoffs despite being tied for 28th in games played (29).[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Lightning: Kucherov didn't look like a player who hadn't played in almost eight months during the first round. He was dynamic with the puck on his stick, especially on the power play, where he stations himself in the right circle and can beat you with one-timers, passes through the seam to forward Steven Stamkos, or by moving the puck into the slot to forwards Brayden Point or Alex Killorn. Kucherov scored seven points (three goals, four assists) on the power play. Last season he led the NHL with 34 points (seven goals, 27 assists) in 25 playoff games.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]GOALTENDING:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Hurricanes: Rookie Alex Nedeljkovic started all six games against the Predators, winning four with a 2.22 GAA and a .922 save percentage. He made 24 saves in Game 6 after making 23 saves in Game 5. Nedeljkovic won the No. 1 job with his play during the regular season, when he was 15-5-3 with three shutouts, a 1.90 GAA and a .932 save percentage in 23 games. Petr Mrazek (6-2-3, 2.06 GAA, .923 save percentage, three shutouts, 12 games) and James Reimer (15-5-2, 2.66 GAA, .906 save percentage, 22 games) did not appear in the first round.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Lightning: Andrei Vasilevskiy is coming off a 29-save series-clinching shutout in Game 6 against the Panthers. He had a 2.64 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage in six games (16 goals allowed on 226 shots). He was third in voting for the Vezina Trophy last season after winning the award as the best goalie in the NHL in 2018-19, and could be a finalist again this season after he led the League with 31 wins, was third in starts (42), fourth in shutouts (five), and was one of three NHL goalies with at least 30 starts to not be pulled from a game. Vasilevskiy had a .925 save percentage and a 2.21 GAA. His backup is Curtis McElhinney, who was 4-6-2 with a 3.09 GAA and an .875 save percentage in 12 regular-season games.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]X FACTORS:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Hurricanes: Staal is Carolina's version of Killorn, a forward that plays a top-six role at even strength, and on the power play and penalty kill. Staal scored four goals against Nashville in the first round, including the overtime goal in Game 5, after scoring 16 goals in 53 regular-season games. He defends well and is among the best in the NHL at winning face-offs; Staal won 60.5 percent in the first round (75 of 124) and 58.0 percent during the regular season (628 of 1,083). He also leads by example as Carolina's captain. [/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Lightning: Killorn is Tampa Bay's do-everything forward. He scored eight points (four goals, four assists) in the first round, with five points (two goals, three assists) coming at even strength and three points (two goals, one assist) on the power play. He's played on the second line with Stamkos and Anthony Cirelli at 5-on-5, in the net-front role on the top power-play unit with Kucherov, Stamkos, Point and Hedman, and on the penalty kill, averaging 1:58 of shorthanded time on ice per game against Florida. He's involved in every aspect of Tampa Bay's game.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

[tr]

[td]WILL WIN IF:[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Hurricanes: They play with the lead as much as possible. The Hurricanes showed their resiliency against the Predators, giving up the first goal in five of the six games and responding to win three of them. They trailed going into the third period in Games 5 and 6 but came away each time with overtime wins. But they can't bank on the same thing happening against the Lightning, who had won 41 straight regular-season and playoff games when leading after two periods before Game 3 against the Panthers, when they couldn't hold the two-goal lead they had going into third and lost in overtime. The Lightning were 4-1 when scoring first in the first round after going 22-4-1 during the regular season. For Carolina, playing catchup against Tampa Bay is a recipe for elimination.[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Lightning: Vasilevskiy is as effective and elite as he is expected to be. They need their power play to stay as dangerous as it was against the Panthers. At even strength, the Lightning need to defend well in the middle of the ice like they did in Game 6 against Florida. When they defend the middle, they force turnovers and that feeds their speed game going on the attack. When they're loose defensively in the middle they give up rush chances and/or puck possession. The Lightning can get stuck in their zone and that's when they become penalty prone.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

More: https://www.nhl.com/news/tampa-bay-lightning-carolina-hurricanes-series-preview/c-325055270?tid=325048026

BSBH_GDT_Footer1.gif?raw=1

this playoffs has really been exemplified by the men v boys storylines all the way around. some of these teams with young players just dont know how to win yet. did i also mention brady skjei probably should figure out where he left his pants?

this playoffs has really been exemplified by the men v boys storylines all the way around. some of these teams with young players just dont know how to win yet. did i also mention brady skjei probably should figure out where he left his pants?

I disagree with that. The Canes' core has plenty of playoff experience by now - ECF two seasons ago, first round exit last year, plus all the games this year. Then you've got Jordan Staal leading the team this year, with Williams last year. They've had success and failure, and with Brind'amour at the helm they should know what it takes to win by now.

Sometimes a team is just better, and Tampa appears to be that.

I disagree with that. The Canes' core has plenty of playoff experience by now - ECF two seasons ago, first round exit last year, plus all the games this year. Then you've got Jordan Staal leading the team this year, with Williams last year. They've had success and failure, and with Brind'amour at the helm they should know what it takes to win by now.

Sometimes a team is just better, and Tampa appears to be that.

Yeah maybe to some extent in this series Tampa is winning because they're just better, but obviously not the case with EDM and TOR, and even to some extent in the STL series, where Landeskog set the tone from the first game by laying the beating on Schenn. I think there's a lot of teams winning or winning by larger margins than they should not because they're better but because they know how to succeed in the playoffs and are willing to do what it takes.

I guess I'd be for Colorado, as Tampa has already won it, but I like Tampa as a team. There are no really objectionable players, like Wilson and Putin Alex on Washington. I think they were a worthy champion, and I have nothing but admiration for McD, Hedman, Kuch, and Point.

I guess I'd be for Colorado, as Tampa has already won it, but I like Tampa as a team. There are no really objectionable players, like Wilson and Putin Alex on Washington. I think they were a worthy champion, and I have nothing but admiration for McD, Hedman, Kuch, and Point.

Yea I have no issue with TB but Colorado is fun as fuck to watch. Also want to see someone different win so there’s always that.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah maybe to some extent in this series Tampa is winning because they're just better, but obviously not the case with EDM and TOR, and even to some extent in the STL series, where Landeskog set the tone from the first game by laying the beating on Schenn. I think there's a lot of teams winning or winning by larger margins than they should not because they're better but because they know how to succeed in the playoffs and are willing to do what it takes.

Those teams are young. So what? How many years did it take Tampa to finally win it? How about Washington?

No doubt. If it was Colorado vs. Tampa Bay in the Final, I'd have a hard time rooting for one team more than the other. I know the Lightning just won last year, but I wouldn't mind them doing it again. A repeat champion in the NHL is rare, and it would be cool to see that group do it. It would be much better than watching Pittsburgh do it a few years ago. lol

Im in full Colorado cheer mode at this point

Welcome to the club, fellas!!! I've been on this bandwagon a while now! :rofl:

That "Nate" guy can play, huh?? LOL