• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 | EDSR | (E3) Boston Bruins vs. (E4) New York Islanders

Phil

Who wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bruins in 4
    • Bruins in 5
    • Bruins in 6
    • Bruins in 7
    • Isles in 4
    • Isles in 5
    • Isles in 6
    • Isles in 7

Again, the Isles play like every shift is do or die. Never mind Trotz, he gets his due enough and deservedly so. But those players, credit to them. They literally all have that underdog mentality and it’s very obvious. I hate them, but good for them.

The Islanders played with hunger in this series, and the Bruins just kept making stupid mistakes, like turning the puck over.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give the Islanders their due for successfully throwing a wet blanket on the Bruins who go absolutely nothing going 5 on 5 all night. It was a sharp contrast to Game 5, where the Bruins wiped them up everywhere but the scoreboard. Those heaping plaudits on the Islanders should remember Game 5, as well. They sure wouldn't have won that game if it had been against Tampa.

Coming into the season, I thought that Wash, Pitts and Boston were all dependent on stars well past 30 and at least somewhat past their peaks, but it was hard to tell if these teams were in decline when they were primarily playing each other in a sealed division. Tampa may be an indicator of just how strong the Metro Division really was.

The Islanders are just so greasy, I give them credit for another deep playoff run even though I don't like doing it. lol It should be another interesting series with Tampa. The way Vasilevskey has looked, they'll be another tough out. He just continues to play so well in big situations.

Isles remind me of the Torts era Rangers, but better. Smarter. They sacrifice all the same but don't abuse their bodies to the same rate blocking shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, the blocking shots under Tortorella was just a bit much. Yeah, you need to do it, but it felt at times that they would almost go out of their way to block, block, block all of the time. I don't think Tortorella would be happy unless there were actual pieces of Girardi, Staal and Callahan out on the ice.

Nah, it worked. He just didn't have the depth he needed to run it out. It's a hard way to earn a living, albeit successfully, especially when you're down to four defenders in the playoffs. Just gruelling.

Isles don't have the same problems. They've got the depth and they do a better job of maintaining their physical play without abusing themselves to the point of exhaustion. It's enviable.

They largely embody what I was hoping for with the whole "fast, physical, relentless" mantra that Quinn tried to apply. Imagine that, but with Panarin & co.

Yeah, exactly. It's what made losing to the Islanders even more frustrating than it would normally. The Rangers have more than enough skill and speed to the points where I thought they really should be beating the Islanders easily, or at least not getting so man handled by them. I'm just watching thinking, "How!?" I know they have depth and are very well coached, but still, it shouldn't have looked like a total 'men vs. boys' matchup it played out as.

Isles remind me of the Torts era Rangers, but better. Smarter. They sacrifice all the same but don't abuse their bodies to the same rate blocking shots.

Yeah, the blocking shots under Tortorella was just a bit much. Yeah, you need to do it, but it felt at times that they would almost go out of their way to block, block, block all of the time. I don't think Tortorella would be happy unless there were actual pieces of Girardi, Staal and Callahan out on the ice.

NYR blocked shots per 60 during Torts era:

2008-09: 11.46 (26th)

2009-10: 14.18 (10th)

2010-11: 15.63 (4th)

2011-12: 16.06 (3rd)

2012-13: 15.84 (6th)

Trotz era Islanders / Torts Blue Jackets:

2019-20: 16.69 (1st) / 14.92

2020-21: 13.99 (7th) / 13.82

An interesting trend actually happened this year. Shot blocking went down drastically and it hasn't been this low in many years. The leading shot blocking team has generally been well over 16 per 60 for many years now. In some cases, 17 or 18 shots per 60. The top shot blocking team this year was the Vegas Golden Knights at 14.89.

I'm not sure the evidence points toward Tortorella having an insane shot blocking request. I think there were foolish times for certain players, in specific Callahan and Girardi, to step in front of shots. There's a time and a place to do it. I recall Callahan taking a Chara one timer to the leg and breaking it. That's a brave idea, but a dumb one.

Tort took a keep them on the perimeter and let them shoot away strategy to an extreme with the Rangers. The Islanders challenge for the puck more. They create crowds and don't permit open ice, but they are not throwing themselves in front of shots the way Cally and Co. did. Containing the Rangers in those regular season games was one thing, containing Tampa will be another.

I hated every minute of that series. My hatred for the Islanders vs. my hatred of anything Boston. There were no winners here.

I'm even more disgusted in watching how the Islanders just seem like a team built for playoff success. Tough on the puck, absolute pain in the ass to play against, but disciplined as hell.. It's maddening.

All that being said, Tampa will apply pressure no one else in the East is able to do. I bet it goes 6 or even 7, but the sheer depth in Tampa wins out. I can only hope for several agonizing/dick punch losses for the Islanders

I hated every minute of that series. My hatred for the Islanders vs. my hatred of anything Boston. There were no winners here.

I'm even more disgusted in watching how the Islanders just seem like a team built for playoff success. Tough on the puck, absolute pain in the ass to play against, but disciplined as hell.. It's maddening.

All that being said, Tampa will apply pressure no one else in the East is able to do. I bet it goes 6 or even 7, but the sheer depth in Tampa wins out. I can only hope for several agonizing/dick punch losses for the Islanders

Same here I dislike both teams, but wanted the Bruins in this one.

I truly hope that Tampa does take, but won't be easy and was hoping the Bruins/Isles series would've went 7.

can only hope for several agonizing/dick punch losses for the Islanders

:) yes please

The above says it in a nutshell. Exciting victory for the Isles on Boston turf. Back to NY for the next - and hopefully - final game of this series.The Beantowners, starting from the coach on down, surely have a frustrated look on their faces.

Uh... Isles did what the NYR can't do. Beat Boston at their own game. Onward to face Tampa... a formidable opponent to say the least. We will all get to see the ex-NYR players. You know, the ones dumped in the great rebuild, which is continuing endlessly.