• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Jackets Could Battle Over Gallant

Phil

Davidson’s move to a division rival also seeking a coach in the wake of John Tortorella’s departure from the organization could have an impact on the Rangers if the Jackets go hard after Gerard Gallant, who is believed at the top of New York’s wish list following his meeting last week with the Blueshirts’ president-GM Chris Drury.

Gallant spent six years with Columbus at the turn of the century, serving as an assistant coach from 2001-02 through mid-2003-04 before he was elevated to the top job that he held for 142 games.

There would not seem to be much comparison between the open jobs behind the Rangers’ and Blue Jackets’ benches, nor between the talent on the clubs’ respective rosters. But if Gallant has an affinity for life in Columbus and is unsure about New York, then Drury might have to accelerate his timetable and attempt to reel in the coach before he can be wooed away by JD.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/20/john-davidson-left-rangers-in-good-shape-after-firing/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

never heard anyone say they have an 'affinity for life in columbus' but what do i know?

Gallant has only ever taken a team past the first round of the playoffs once (VGK should have gone past in his 2nd year there for sure, not his fault). I don't mean that as an indictment on him, just that, he has no reason to go coach a Columbus team that is approaching a full rebuild and doesn't really have much in the cupboards to start off with.

with the unlikely exception of thinking he can replicate success with the knights by taking a team everyone doubted and turning them into a playoff team, there's no reason he would choose the blue jackets over the Rangers.

Nice try Brooksie

When is the last time someone chose a minor market over a major market? We can offer more money, a bigger stage, more talent to work with, and a more exciting life.

...but hey, if you want to go to Columbus, go ahead. I can only assume you were the wrong man for the job anyway.

Gallant is from PEI. Cities right now are total shitholes. Protests, riots, crime, poverty. I'm not exactly looking to visit NYC anytime soon. Maybe he likes smaller cities maybe he wants to live on a farm. We don't know, but there's plenty of reasons to not want to live in a city like NYC these days.

Your point stands, though, if that's how he feels, he's not the right guy, anyways.

I heard a story about Larmer's 1st week in NYC with his 1980 Chevy Scotssdale. He hated the place. The guy telling me the story was also a Ranger, and he hated the place. Half of them hated the place. It's not unique.

• Like 1

Gallant is from PEI. Cities right now are total shitholes. Protests, riots, crime, poverty. I'm not exactly looking to visit NYC anytime soon. Maybe he likes smaller cities maybe he wants to live on a farm. We don't know, but there's plenty of reasons to not want to live in a city like NYC these days.

Your point stands, though, if that's how he feels, he's not the right guy, anyways.

I heard a story about Larmer's 1st week in NYC with his 1980 Chevy Scotssdale. He hated the place. The guy telling me the story was also a Ranger, and he hated the place. Half of them hated the place. It's not unique.

First of all, this is way overplayed and sounds like a scared person living outside of a city that has no idea what's happening in a cities right now around the country.

Rangers practice in one of the nicest suburbs in the country. If he doesn't like the city, he doesn't have to go there but for a few hours 41 times a year. Doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice to me. Let's also not confuse current NYC with NYC of the early 90s where it actually was a shithole.

It's totally possible he doesn't want to coach in NY, but I have a hard time believing he'd take an interview if that was the case. He may be from PEI but he's been to NY a million times. There's no secrets here.

When is the last time someone chose a minor market over a major market? We can offer more money, a bigger stage, more talent to work with, and a more exciting life.

...but hey, if you want to go to Columbus, go ahead. I can only assume you were the wrong man for the job anyway.

When JD tells you "good luck working for Dolan" LOL.
  • Like 1

When JD tells you "good luck working for Dolan" LOL.

Sure but when you're only argument for yourself is that you're not the other guy, it's not much of an argument. Rangers and Knicks have absolutely never had a problem getting players and coaches to come work for them. Money talks.

We’ve never had to really deal with Dolans reputation effecting the Rangers. He’s always been so far removed from the picture. His reputation with the Knicks is obviously horrendous, as it should be. But luckily he really hasn’t ever dabbled with the Rangers until all of this happened. I’m interested to see if he actually could scare some candidates away.

Im pretty sure Dolan (fuck you dolan) can out-pocket any other owner and really thats what matters 99% of the time. Combine that with the outlook for this team over the next few seasons and I am sure this is a no-brainer over columbus.

But stranger things have happened. Maybe he has a side chick still in Columbus.

Sure but when you're only argument for yourself is that you're not the other guy, it's not much of an argument. Rangers and Knicks have absolutely never had a problem getting players and coaches to come work for them. Money talks.

I kinda disagree when the other guy is Dolan LOL.

Actually, the Knicks have. Free agents more so than coaching. But I believe it was more about winning than the city so I don't disagree with you completely.

I think the larger market works for you more than against you.

First of all, this is way overplayed and sounds like a scared person living outside of a city that has no idea what's happening in a cities right now around the country.

Rangers practice in one of the nicest suburbs in the country. If he doesn't like the city, he doesn't have to go there but for a few hours 41 times a year. Doesn't sound like much of a sacrifice to me. Let's also not confuse current NYC with NYC of the early 90s where it actually was a shithole.

It's totally possible he doesn't want to coach in NY, but I have a hard time believing he'd take an interview if that was the case. He may be from PEI but he's been to NY a million times. There's no secrets here.

People are leaving the city in droves. That is a fact for whatever reason. The Rangers may practice in a great neighborhood but there is still light years difference from Westchester to some farm town in Ohio. The commute getting to MSG could be enough for some when offered a choice to choose the other option.

Im not following the 90's to now comparison because by no means is the city on the "rise" right now compared to then. The city by any measure is hurting right now.

I do agree he would be foolish to take an interview if he has no interest and he's familiar with what coaching here would mean.

9.5 out of ten coaches would coach here simply for the legacy that would ensue if they win a cup here. It is like none other. We still celebrate 1994 and praise Keenan like he was a God simply for bringing the cup to NY. Unless you hate cities; I don't think anyone gives up that opportunity if presented. I feel like Drury will have the pick of the litter. Columbus, Buffalo .....c'mon. Especially knowing where we are in comparison to both of those clubs.

For the sake of conversation I think he's interested. But you take the interview even if your not for leverage. Sure he's also been to NY before, as an opposing coach and for the interview with Drury. Where are the other million times documented or even mentioned? The city isn't for everybody whether it's the 90's, 2000's or today. Worked in Manhattan and the financial district almost my entire career and can honestly say it never did grow on me and every single opportunity I had to avoid it I did. Nothing personal to each his own. I also agree the Knicks have struggled to get prime free agents for years and even top tier coaches because of Dolan's interference.

You must be kidding! Smoking something? BTW, have you ever been to NYC??

9.5 out of ten coaches would coach here simply for the legacy that would ensue if they win a cup here. It is like none other. We still celebrate 1994 and praise Keenan like he was a God simply for bringing the cup to NY. Unless you hate cities; I don't think anyone gives up that opportunity if presented. I feel like Drury will have the pick of the litter. Columbus, Buffalo .....c'mon. Especially knowing where we are in comparison to both of those clubs.

last time, Montgomery picked Dallas over NY stating the Rangers didn't know Wtf they were doing.