• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Jackets Could Battle Over Gallant

Phil

"Listen, to me, he's the father figure for a lot of his players. And he acts like it. He cares about his team. He demands honesty. He's not a crazy X's and O's guy, but he puts in place a system that works... he's had playoff success... Great coach. Great guy." - Scotty Upshall

Interview with Gallant from May:

Gallant talks about the Tom Wilson incident.

• Like 1

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most teams had scrubs competing with maybe one or two NHLers on it. So did team Canada. its not like Canada's scrubs beat out Russia's or USA's full national teams. This was no miracle on Riga ice by any stretch

Gerard Gallant remains the leader in the clubhouse, but Rangers president-general manager Chris Drury is waiting to see if there is fallout from second-round playoff series that could free up another candidate or two to succeed David Quinn behind the bench, according to several individuals familiar with the team’s coaching search.

That means, first, the Blueshirts are going to monitor the situation in Carolina, where Rod Brind’Amour’s ’Canes were down 3-1 to the Lightning entering Tuesday’s Game 5 in Raleigh.

The Rangers are also believed monitoring the situations with Winnipeg’s Paul Maurice following the Jets’ second-round sweep by Montreal after having swept Edmonton in the opening round, and with Boston’s Bruce Cassidy, whose Bruins are down 3-2 to the Islanders heading into Wednesday’s showdown at the Coliseum.

The Post has been told that Jared Bednar’s job as coach of the Avalanche might be in jeopardy if Colorado goes down to Vegas in a series that was tied 2-2 entering Tuesday’s Game 5. It is not clear whether Bednar would become a candidate in New York if he becomes available.

Drury was impressed by Gallant, who led Team Canada to an unexpected gold medal in the World Championships with a championship victory over Finland on Sunday, when he first interviewed in New York on May 14. It is believed Gallant then had a follow-up with Drury that was conducted remotely while the coach was in Latvia for the tournament.

Rick Tocchet, who has also spoken to Drury twice, created a favorable impression and also remains a viable candidate for the job.

Though John Tortorella, Mike Babcock, Patrick Roy, Bruce Boudreau and Claude Julien are not in the running, we have been told that Drury — as meticulous, methodical and close-mouthed as they come — has spoken to other persons of interest. It is not known whether any received what would be considered a formal interview.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/08/rangers-monitoring-playoff-coaches-gerard-gallant-favorite/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

most teams had scrubs competing with maybe one or two NHLers on it. So did team Canada. its not like Canada's scrubs beat out Russia's or USA's full national teams. This was no miracle on Riga ice by any stretch
This. I'm not at all sold on this guy, a performance in a short tourney where it's the "best of the worst" does nothing to move the needle for me.

I really dont know why the Canes would fire Brind. Its not like they underachieved. They weren’t cup favorites

They wouldn't fire him. He's at the end of a contract and the Cane's are offering him 1.8 million dollars which is basically a joke offer.

Rangers would offer 3x that.

He and Canes also have a handshake agreement on that joke offer though... so... I dunno what the truth is. Seems like him coming to NYC is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

5 yrs x 5 million versus 3 yrs x 1.8 million. That would need to be a hell of a firm handshake.

5 yrs x 5 million versus 3 yrs x 1.8 million. That would need to be a hell of a firm handshake.

Right. Money is no object to the Rangers and generally speaking, money talks... But it seems odd to me that they were saying it was basically a done deal 2-3 weeks ago and now it's not? I won't believe he's a real option until I hear one of the TSN guys say it.

I know money is money but Rod doesn't seem to be the type of guy to not honor his word when it comes to a handshake agreement. He has very strong roots there and his wife is from there, and they have a bright future, so I don't know. I think I'd place him above Gallant as far as who I'd want coaching here, but I still think it's a pipe dream. Gallant will still be a really good fit here, I think, anyway.

I know money is money but Rod doesn't seem to be the type of guy to not honor his word when it comes to a handshake agreement. He has very strong roots there and his wife is from there, and they have a bright future, so I don't know. I think I'd place him above Gallant as far as who I'd want coaching here, but I still think it's a pipe dream. Gallant will still be a really good fit here, I think, anyway.

He would fit here like a glove, in my opinion!

We have a pretty bright future here as well, I think, Sharpy. I remember reading back in a post somewhere that Brind'amour was concerned for his staff not getting paid. I can't find the post on here but I remember reading it.

Every time I watch him, he seems to connect with his players very well on the bench.

On RBA-you have to hope Dundon wither says or does something stupid.. like renege on one peice of the offer, otherwise I don't see him leaving. From what I read he loves it down here, and that roster is really good.

I'd love to be wrong.

On RBA-you have to hope Dundon wither says or does something stupid.. like renege on one peice of the offer, otherwise I don't see him leaving. From what I read he loves it down here, and that roster is really good.

I'd love to be wrong.

I figure it's a long shot too, Flynn. But the guy is exactly what I think the Rangers could use behind the bench...and I'd bet he'd be here for a long time.

He has a lot of his own people tied up there. I mentioned he rescued a buddy of mine of the scrap heap and gave him a shit tonne of responsibility (which he paid back, their 1st last year was his pick and he's a stud).

I don't think he'll abandon those people, he's to much of a stand up guy, and coming to NY, I don't think he'll get that latitude.

He would fit here like a glove, in my opinion!

We have a pretty bright future here as well, I think, Sharpy. I remember reading back in a post somewhere that Brind'amour was concerned for his staff not getting paid. I can't find the post on here but I remember reading it.

Every time I watch him, he seems to connect with his players very well on the bench.

Here's one from back in May that talks about his concern for his coaches and staff getting extended as well.

Even as the Carolina Hurricanes fight for the No. 1 seed in the Central Division, the future of head coach Rod Brind’Amour remains up in the air.

Brind’Amour’s contract expires after this season and while he has previously stated that he’d “love” to work out a deal to stay with the Hurricanes, it appears he wants to prioritize the futures of his staff over his own.

“I understand that one of the biggest issues there is that Brind’Amour has asked that as much as he wants himself to get a contract extension, he also wants extensions for his coaching staff, the training staff and the equipment staff, which also are not signed for next year,” said Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman during the Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday. “And he said as much as a priority as his contract is, that is also an enormous priority for [brind’Amour]. So what he is telling the organization is that he wants a situation where they are taken care of as well.”

However, amid the juxtaposition of Brind’Amour’s future, there is a feeling that the 50-year-old will remain with the Hurricanes.

“I think the betting is he’s going to stay in Carolina, but he’s made it very clear the future of the staff around him is as important as his own future,” Friedman added.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/hurricanes-brindamour-prioritizing-extension-coaching-equipment-staff/

He has a lot of his own people tied up there. I mentioned he rescued a buddy of mine of the scrap heap and gave him a shit tonne of responsibility (which he paid back, their 1st last year was his pick and he's a stud).

I don't think he'll abandon those people, he's to much of a stand up guy, and coming to NY, I don't think he'll get that latitude.

This, and in the rare event he doesn't go back, it's not to come to New York, it's to go to Seattle and coach Francis' team.

Here's one from back in May that talks about his concern for his coaches and staff getting extended as well.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/hurricanes-brindamour-prioritizing-extension-coaching-equipment-staff/

Thanks JS!! Youdda man!!!

I knew I saw it somewhere up here!! At least you know for a fact I'm not Larry Brooks!!!! He'd have found that post in a heartbeat on our forum, before me!!!! :rofl:

It goes beyond even what they say here, he's concerned about every scout. The bus driver. The goal judge. Top to bottom. All his contacts from Notre Dame, Michigan State, the NHL. They all matter to this guy. They simply do not make many people like this, anymore.

It goes beyond even what they say here, he's concerned about every scout. The bus driver. The goal judge. Top to bottom. All his contacts from Notre Dame, Michigan State, the NHL. They all matter to this guy. They simply do not make many people like this, anymore.

That's the part I really like about Brind'Amour! He's a "team" kinda guy and looks out after HIS people. He's a rare breed. He played very much the same way.

It's a bit of a long shot wish, but stranger things have happened. If anyone could pull a rabbit out of his ass, I think it's Drury.

We shall see....

so he's putting his people around him, even if they're detrimental to the company. im not sure i agree with this strategy

so he's putting his people around him, even if they're detrimental to the company. im not sure i agree with this strategy

dc8a8f0c4146ba42dcfde4f43b03f178.jpg

"detrimental to the company."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro