• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Former Rangers on State of the Rebuild: All-in on Talent; Where's the Toughness?

https://theathletic.com/2602469/2021/05/21/former-rangers-on-the-state-of-the-rebuild-all-in-on-the-talent-but-not-the-chaos-and-wheres-the-toughness/

--

For everyone with a subscription to the Athletic, tell me who you think Players A through F are:

I'll go first:

Player A: Sean Avery

Player B: Ryan Callahan

Player C: Mark Messier

Player D: Adam Graves

Player E: Dan Girardi

Player F: Kevin Hayes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it once and right away Player C is Messier. I thought about Graves making a comment, but he's part of MSG and I don't think he'd get in on the debate.

I generally like the team. It’s just that you need to add a veteran presence that has strong leadership, and you would need … at least one solid guy who plays with an edge on the top two lines. You thought (Chris) Kreider was going to be that, but he doesn’t seem to … he’s inconsistent in that role. And that’s why, when you look at there’s no captain, well, there’s no captain material. There really wasn’t. You’re not going to name Zibanejad (captain) just because he’s a good player. You don’t make him a captain because he often, in a physical game, he looks afraid. How many guys look afraid in a physical game? It’s pretty obvious. I mean, the only one who really stood out was (Brendan) Smith. He really played that role and he embraced it. He kicked it up a notch this year. … Other than that? (Ryan) Lindgren played hard.

And his comment on Zibby OUCH afraid

I'm like 99% sure that player C is Ron Duguay.

I think F is someone like Anson Carter - this one has a pulse on the hockey world that the others don't seem to.

I also think the point on Schenider made at the end is interesting. He's progressed faster than we expected, and if he's surly, he might jump up on the depth chart faster than we expect.

I'm like 99% sure that player C is Ron Duguay.

I think F is someone like Anson Carter - this one has a pulse on the hockey world that the others don't seem to.

I also think the point on Schenider made at the end is interesting. He's progressed faster than we expected, and if he's surly, he might jump up on the depth chart faster than we expect.

I cant read.

But if its former players, I have to think Vally is one of them.

Yeah, I think there's a real reason they moved up to get him that was beyond surface-deep. I see him as a real wild card in camp.

Hajek replacement? We traded up to get him, so I'm thinking JD/Gorton knew something.

I remember in the beginning of the year when we were talking about the captain thing and I totally agree with this Mika point here, after seeing how this season unfolded. I've been watching a lot of the playoffs this year and you can really, very clearly see the difference that these teams have and the Rangers. So many of the games I find myself thinking "there's no way the rangers would last ten minutes in this game".

IMO, Trouba is the captain of this team. He took over the room when DQ didn't. When he got hurt the team looked afraid and folded. Crazy because I never would have said this had he stayed healthy but it really was a "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone" kind of thing.

I remember in the beginning of the year when we were talking about the captain thing and I totally agree with this Mika point here, after seeing how this season unfolded. I've been watching a lot of the playoffs this year and you can really, very clearly see the difference that these teams have and the Rangers. So many of the games I find myself thinking "there's no way the rangers would last ten minutes in this game".

Val, I said the same thing last night watching those hits in the Isles/Pens game.

We would be carted off the ice with injured vaginas, and bruised boobies! :rofl:

IMO, Trouba is the captain of this team. He took over the room when DQ didn't. When he got hurt the team looked afraid and folded. Crazy because I never would have said this had he stayed healthy but it really was a "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone" kind of thing.

Probably.

You may be right but I still just barfed

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Kreider was out too.

Quotes about the team right now and not named who said who?

What's the point with that lol

If the author is making it up, very easy to write.

Not saying that's the case, but if someone won't put their name to it, it's less credible. Remember when things get back to normal, lots of retired players get some extra scratch doing MSG meet&greets and appearances. But nothing that's said here wasn't said elsewhere, nor much goes against Dolan's reasoning for dumping JD, Gorton and Quinn. It's not like saying these things out loud would cost them with managment. Messier just trashed the whole team on "Michael Kay". And Fotiu specifically has never minded ruffling feathers; had some not nice things to say about Rick Nash after 2014.

Is there anything player C isn't on the fucking money about?

The fact that (Brendan) Lemieux was happy to leave, that there was stuff going on in the dressing room that wasn’t lining up with his character, and Tony D (DeAngelo), how do you get rid of this kid? He was fighting. Yeah, he plays with an edge. Guys who play with an edge, it comes with sometimes a little lack of discipline in a game, and that’s where you have to know how to manage them. A good example of that: Look at Brad Marchand. The Rangers would probably have gotten rid of him, the way he plays the game, the way things went this year. And Wilson. Would Wilson still be a Ranger this year, playing the way he does?

Those guys, they become a little harder to manage, but you want those guys on the team. You need to know how to speak to them and manage them. You can’t just get in their face. Those two guys, they probably wouldn’t have lasted with the Rangers because they will take a bad penalty. They will slam the door, they will get angry, they will break a stick. If you’re a coach and you just came out of college hockey and you’re like, “Oh, no, you’re not allowed to do that,” well, an experienced NHL coach who’s played the game in the NHL understands that those type of guys, they will possibly take a bad penalty occasionally, they’ll get fired up and angry, but overall you want them on the ice.

Is there anything player C isn't on the fucking money about?

Sure, let's compare Lemiuex to Marchand and Wilson. Marchand scored 29 goals and 69 points in 53 games. Wilson, as much of a fuckhead as he is, scored 13 goals and 33 points in 47 games. Lemiuex, by comparison, scored 4 goals and 11 points in 49 games between two teams.

Marchand and Wilson add value to their team in other ways aside from toughness. That's what makes them top tier NHL players. I'm assuming that's Carp's quote? Because it's shallow, just like all of what he writes. No actual thought or analysis behind it. Garbage.

• Like 1

Sure, let's compare Lemiuex to Marchand and Wilson. Marchand scored 29 goals and 69 points in 53 games. Wilson, as much of a fuckhead as he is, scored 13 goals and 33 points in 47 games. Lemiuex, by comparison, scored 4 goals and 11 points in 49 games between two teams.

Marchand and Wilson add value to their team in other ways aside from toughness. That's what makes them top tier NHL players. I'm assuming that's Carp's quote? Because it's shallow, just like all of what he writes. No actual thought or analysis behind it. Garbage.

Well said. Comical comparison.