• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jordan Greenway

Phil

TMFN brought him up most recently in the Kuznetsov thread, but there's some legitimate reason to think he's actually available and not just desired (like, say, Matt Tkachuk).

Example:

Greenway just turned 24, and his production has gone up in each of his three seasons. If you’re a believer in him — especially if you think you can unlock his power forward potential — it’s easy to convince yourself he’s a long-term fit in an organization.

His contract status is also attractive to any contenders looking to add at the deadline. Nineteen of the NHL’s 31 teams are within $1 million of the salary cap, including 12 playoff teams. Greenway’s $2.1 million cap hit is going to be much more moveable than higher-salaried rentals. Teams facing a cap crunch next year will also appreciate the extra year of cost control.

These factors could start diminishing as soon as this offseason, even if Greenway more or less keeps up his production. A team acquiring him will have one less playoff run with him before he’s up for a payday. And if he doesn’t finish the season strong, then teams may decide his early-season success was a fluke. If Guerin decides to strike, he’s likely to get the maximum return now.

This is also happening when the Wild are in the midst of another expansion pickle. Most have assumed that the Wild would protect eight skaters in the upcoming Seattle Expansion Draft. Greenway’s breakout has made that more complicated.

Should Minnesota protect eight skaters, they’d do so to keep Matt Dumba on their team and their top-4 defense intact. This would mean their protected forwards would likely include Zach Parise and Mats Zuccarello (whose no-move clauses protect them automatically), and likely Kevin Fiala and Joel Eriksson Ek.

This would forwards like Greenway, Marcus Foligno, Nico Sturm, and Ryan Hartman exposed. The Athletic’s Michael Russo has hinted that Minnesota could decide to protect seven forwards, and expose Dumba, perhaps hoping to get his $6 million cap hit off the books.

Minnesota’s strength in recent seasons has been their blue line, and Dumba has been a massive part of that. He and his defensive partner Jonas Brodin have controlled 57.7% of the expected goal share at 5-on-5, the best on Minnesota by a fair margin. Dumba’s improved his defense, and while his offense isn’t where it was two or three years ago, he’s still scoring at a 14-goal 82-game pace. He’s clearly a top-pairing-caliber defenseman.

That’s significantly more valuable to the Wild than the would-be exposed forwards, who are all but locked into Minnesota’s bottom-6. Unless the cap situation is truly untenable, it makes little sense to let Dumba go, particularly for nothing.

If Guerin decides to keep his defense intact, trading Greenway now can help get ahead of the expansion crunch. If Greenway can return a high draft pick or top prospect, those problems largely disappear. Is Seattle itching to draft a 30-year-old third-liner in Foligno? It’s possible, but even if that happens, that beats losing a 27-year-old top-pairing defenseman, and again, more forwards are on the way.

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/wild/now-is-the-time-to-trade-jordan-greenway/

Added to this? The Rangers are in a supremely advantageous expansion draft position with three forwards (Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad) to protect and one defenseman (Trouba). Shesterkin, Fox, Miller, Jones, Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov, and Barron are all exempt. Conventional logic suggests they'll go 7-3-1 and protect Panarin, Kreider, Zibanejad, Buchnevich (RFA), Strome, Chytil, and one extra body at forward. That extra body, right now, is going to end up being one of Howden, Gauthier, Blackwell, or Rooney — none of whom arguably "deserve" protection. Greenway would.

Biggest problem? Like almost every other guy we've talked about, Greenway is a natural left-wing, and the Rangers' left side is firmly nailed down (Panarin, Lafreniere, Kreider). So it would either take some roster reconstruction to make it work — most likely moving Kreider to the right side and then trading from their depth there (Buchnevich, Kakko, Kravtsov) — or moving Greenway himself to the right.

But there's no denying he'd would solve a lot of their homogeneity problems. He's 6'6, 240 lbs and skates exceptionally well for a man of his size.

Better on paper.

I don't see this guy coming in and changing the mentality.

Big, sometimes plays like it, sometimes physical, sometimes shows skills, disappears in big moments, doesnt fight.

Doesnt do enough to displace a guy in the top 9.

Better on paper.

Big, sometimes plays like it, sometimes physical, sometimes shows skills, disappears in big moments, doesnt fight.

I like the idea of Minnesota being a trade partner. They are in a tough situation regarding the expansion draft and, if we can possibly trade a mid-tier prospect and a pick for a guy that they would likely otherwise lose for nothing. Of course, if we're thinking it, so are several other teams.

I don't think he needs to fight — he just needs to play to his scouting report. "Displays obvious power forward upside: can be a force in the corners, along the walls and in front of the net."

But there's also Foligno to consider? Solid penalty-killer. Fights. Tons of veteran leadership.

Better on paper.

Doesn't do enough to displace a guy in the top 9.

He can fight, it's just that not too many will dance with him! ....Here's one with our next #3 Center:

Props to Getzlaf for giving it a go!

That entire shift is what I'm talking about. Carry it in, shot on net, immediately goes to the net. Bowls over a Ducks defender in the process. Quickly gains position and attempts a screen. Shot goes wide, Greenway aggressively hunts the puck down, beating another Ducks defender (physically muscling past him), then gets challenged by Getzlaf. Shoot, go to the net, get the puck out of the corner. Rinse, repeat.

That entire shift is exactly what this team needs. To a tee.

That entire shift is what I'm talking about. Carry it in, shot on net, immediately goes to the net. Bowls over a Ducks defender in the process. Quickly gains position and attempts a screen. Shot goes wide, Greenway aggressively hunts the puck down, beating another Ducks defender (physically muscling past him), then gets challenged by Getzlaf. Shoot, go to the net, get the puck out of the corner. Rinse, repeat.

That entire shift is exactly what this team needs. To a tee.

I've been watching him do it all season! ;)

We get rugged 3C and a Reaves type with Greenway, and I'm thinking "tough playoff out" next season!!!

You can arguably not change the top-six (right now) if you basically buy a whole new third line, but that probably means moving on from a guy like Kravtsov and/or Chytil in order to get that third-line center to complement Greenway.

Kreider / Miller / Greenway, for example, would be an incredibly hard-to-play-against unit.

That kind of construction is also unique in that both Greenway and Miller play multiple forward positions, so come playoffs, you can move bodies up and down to spread the muscle around.

• Like 1

I don't think he needs to fight — he just needs to play to his scouting report. "Displays obvious power forward upside: can be a force in the corners, along the walls and in front of the net."

But there's also Foligno to consider? Solid penalty-killer. Fights. Tons of veteran leadership.

Marcus was on this thing called "AJT" back in 2014

We need to exploit the draft dilemmas of Minnesota or similarly situated teams.

Minnesota had to give up Alex Tuch in a side deal to Vegas to lay off Dumba. Now they'll have to do the same thing with Seattle. It's bad enough to have to trade for your own player once, but now twice!

I say sure. We missed out on poaching someone from Tampa when they were in a tough spot so I’d hope we don’t miss out on a second bite at the apple with a different team. Personally though I still don’t think Greenway would be available. They probably would do more to try and move a less desirable person and lose a trade to not have to expose another guy.

He plays stupid, and takes some bad penalties ( as evident from last night) but I'd think Nazem Kadri is a decent fit, if you're willing to put up with some untimely penalties.

I think people need to realize that players that fit this desired gritty role that many of us want to inject into the Rangers lineup is going to take a lot of stupid penalties.

I say sure. We missed out on poaching someone from Tampa when they were in a tough spot so I’d hope we don’t miss out on a second bite at the apple with a different team. Personally though I still don’t think Greenway would be available. They probably would do more to try and move a less desirable person and lose a trade to not have to expose another guy.

Wouldn't say that exactly - I think Killorn would be a reasonable fit here. And then there's always Cirelli.

Wouldn't say that exactly - I think Killorn would be a reasonable fit here. And then there's always Cirelli.

Well, I know I made my feelings known with Cirelli. I still believe he will be one of the better two way men in the game if his ice time was elevated and given a bigger role.

Well, I know I made my feelings known with Cirelli. I still believe he will be one of the better two way men in the game if his ice time was elevated and given a bigger role.
That isn't going to happen here, though.

Better on paper.

Agree.

This "homogeneous" issue isn't going to be addressed without walking away from someone significant.

But also, let's understand the problem isn't only roster, it's mindset. They can simplify their game, they just don't want to. That's coaching.

This is the right type of guy. Plays center, plays big and takes a lot of space, and is going to be willing to play the role. This team is capable of fielding three dangerous scoring lines with their playmaking wingers when you pair them with a few bigger power forwards who go to the net and can grind, and that's exactly what this is. He and Cirelli are at the top of my list for the exact same reasons, probably don't need both, but to be honest it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Agree.

This "homogeneous" issue isn't going to be addressed without walking away from someone significant.

But also, let's understand the problem isn't only roster, it's mindset. They can simplify their game, they just don't want to. That's coaching.

Very important point on the coaching as well, we're kidding ourselves if we think this is only personnel issue. We've had two coaches in a row that allowed players who are six foot a million to play soft as ice cream.

He can fight, it's just that not too many will dance with him! ....Here's one with our next #3 Center:

Props to Getzlaf for giving it a go!

Can't rep you anymore apparently but let's speak this into existence together lol

Not often Getzlaf has the "size disadvantage" but I've been interested in Greenway since DQ got here.

Can't rep you anymore apparently but let's speak this into existence together lol

Not often Getzlaf has the "size disadvantage" but I've been interested in Greenway since DQ got here.

I found it ironic, this video as it has both players that I kinda have on my wish list.

Greenway would be such a score in a Rangers jersey. I've wanted him all season, 31. MacKinnon ain't happenin' so I'll go the Greenway route. Getzlaf would be a solid fit for a couple of seasons too, I think.