• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan O'Reilly

Phil

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same reasons as I suggested him in the past. Forget Eichel. Deal Chytil + and get O'Reilly. Ultimate competitor. Elite top-six center. Oodles of character/grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Literally zero chance STL trades him.

P/G center who's a Selke Candidate, just names Captain in a city he just won the Cup in, only 30 and signed to a "reasonable" $7.5AAV. I say "only" 30 because of how great a shape he's in and how hard he plays without playing a style that will break his own body own.

Doubt he's available. They'd deal Tarasenko before they deal him.

Does he have a lot left in the tank anyway? His frame would suggest he's about to break down with the way he plays. Then again he didn't seem go all out for 3 years in Buffalo, so the mileage on him can be prorated to a 28 year old lol.

Where does he play? Are they also dealing Strome or Zibanejad?

Definitely interested that type of player. Sam Bennett would have been a solid get if they had a spot for him ( I don't think he'd want to play 3rd line minutes here, as that was his gripe in Calgary).

I guess the Rangers have to set their sites super high and do a major blockbuster overpaying for Tkachuk, deal Zibanejad if they want Eichel, or look a tier below Bennett for a guy that knows he's only going to be a 3rd line center. Making room for such a player is the issue, unless you give the empty spot opposite Panarin to Chytil, which actually doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Where he goes on the ice would mesh well with Strome and Panarin. Yet, so would Buchnevich, Kakko or Kravstov. Or are we looking to add muscle here in that spot? Lmso, the Rangers really have some tough decisions to make this summer.

It better not be. 21 year old kids who get .5 P/G on only 13 min a game with no PP time don't grow on trees. He gets unnecessarily bashed around here.
I don't think it's bashing. He just isn't good enough to supplant the top 2 centers on the team. All he'll ever be is a 13 minute no PP guy... Unless he moves to wing and there are currently no wing slots open.

He's just a guy with no role right now if you want to change the physicality of your team. You'd have hoped a guy as dynamic as he is would make you force him into trying him higher in the lineup. He hasn't done it.

I don't think it's bashing. He just isn't good enough to supplant the top 2 centers on the team. All he'll ever be is a 13 minute no PP guy... Unless he moves to wing and there are currently no wing slots open.

He's just a guy with no role right now if you want to change the physicality of your team. You'd have hoped a guy as dynamic as he is would make you force him into trying him higher in the lineup. He hasn't done it.

Not sure if you meant just here or if you meant anywhere. If anywhere, I think it's way too early to say that. He's only 21 (3 months older than Kravtsov, who just got here, to put it in perspective). If here, then probably as long as Zibanejad and Strome are here. I would not be surprised at all if Chytil is a PPG player in his prime, wherever that may be. This was the first year he looked more like an adult on the ice and not a pushover kid. He was much stronger on his skates. He just didn't get many advantageous (PP in particular) opportunities. Quinn failed him and a couple of other young players in that regard.

I pretty much agree that he isn't a fit on the club at this time though, especially with a new coach and new playoff mandate next season, but I like him and I'm pretty sure if we move him the day will come where we will shake our heads and say we can't believe we traded him. We better have a new Cup banner in the rafters by then.

Not sure if you meant just here or if you meant anywhere. If anywhere, I think it's way too early to say that. He's only 21 (3 months older than Kravtsov, who just got here, to put it in perspective). If here, then probably as long as Zibanejad and Strome are here. I would not be surprised at all if Chytil is a PPG player in his prime, wherever that may be. This was the first year he looked more like an adult on the ice and not a pushover kid. He was much stronger on his skates. He just didn't get many advantageous (PP in particular) opportunities. Quinn failed him and a couple of other young players in that regard.

I pretty much agree that he isn't a fit on the club at this time though, especially with a new coach and new playoff mandate next season, but I like him and I'm pretty sure if we move him the day will come where we will shake our heads and say we can't believe we traded him. We better have a new Cup banner in the rafters by then.

Yea, I meant here.

Could be a Doug Weight situation.

I'm also not subscribing to that Quinn narrative, but also don't want to keep debating that.

I actually think Chytil makes sense as a wing more than some of the other guys that we think are locks to stay. His speed and size is at a different pace than anyone of the other kids. He isn't a distributor or a very good defensive player so moving him to the wing would help him. Simplifying what you ask of him would also pay dividends. Straight line and fast should be pounded into his head with the eyes for the net. I think he could be a great wing and a player that could easily be a first line wing. His toughness concerns me but maybe just some age would fix some of that. I do think he's a goner but I do think we will regret it. The wing transfer is obvious to me and some smart organization will unlock that.

That bolded is the part that bothers me most.

I get why he's not on PP1 - that's clear. I really wish he just found a way to force himself up the lineup even a bit. And yeah, sure, Strome elevated his game, we're thin down the middle, and it's not like he was going to be given a shot at wing without some center stability in the bottom 6 - but it's disappointing that he couldn't at least push Strome. Or at least, disappointing enough that he couldn't push fucking Blackwell.

No thanks, 30 years old and only two years left on his contract.

This guy is built to win now.

We aren’t there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think we need to get our heads around the idea that, with the events of the last few weeks, the organization is no longer in rebuild mode. You can agree or disagree with it, but I'm fairly certain this team is going to make win now moves this offseason.

They'll be hiring a coach with Stanley Cup pedigree and they'll be buyers, probably aggressively so. They'll be dealing from the prospect pool to get players in that makes them competitive immediately.

If O'Reilly was gettable I think they'd be very interested.

If we're trading our young players I hope its for a young player in return. So no to O'Reilly. A Tkachuk would be nice, but doubt it's possible.

As for center targets...

Giroux and Courtier are both UFA's next summer. Gotta be getting sick of being bounced in the first round every other year.

Trocheck is a UFA next summer. Carolina is cheap. They need to resign Svechnikov as well. Could let Trochek walk to keep costs down, while moving Necas to center and opening a lineup spot for Bokk.

If we're trading our young players I hope its for a young player in return. So no to O'Reilly. A Tkachuk would be nice, but doubt it's possible.

As for center targets...

Giroux and Courtier are both UFA's next summer. Gotta be getting sick of being bounced in the first round every other year.

Trocheck is a UFA next summer. Carolina is cheap. They need to resign Svechnikov as well. Could let Trochek walk to keep costs down, while moving Necas to center and opening a lineup spot for Bokk.

They could pry Tkachuk away from Calgary. He’s not going to stay there long-term unless they pay him out the ass and even then I’m not so sure. Only 1 RFA year left for him after next season.

But a few things about that

1) Price is going to be high. Very high.

2) He only has 1 year left on his deal and will want a hefty long-term extension. And he’s already at a 7 million cap hit. Actual salary this coming year is $9 million.

3) In order to get him, they will HAVE to trade a piece or two that they don’t want to trade.

He will cost them a lot.

They could pry Tkachuk away from Calgary. He’s not going to stay there long-term unless they pay him out the ass and even then I’m not so sure. Only 1 RFA year left for him after next season.

2) He only has 1 year left on his deal and will want a hefty long-term extension. And he’s already at a 7 million cap hit. Actual salary this coming year is $9 million.

3) In order to get him, they will HAVE to trade a piece or two that they don’t want to trade.

He will cost them a lot.

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?24078-2021-Offseason-Thread-New-Year-Same-Problems&p=1069919&viewfull=1#post1069919

He will cost them a lot.

That's fine. If were talking about trading Kravtsov, Lundkvist, etc then a 23 year old with snarl is what I'm after. Also his numbers have regressed a little after having an outstanding final year of his ELC. He hasn't earned a huge raise. It'd probably be in his best interest to sign a 3 year deal, see if he can get back to a point per game pace, and cash in when the cap goes up again.

If I were Calgary he would be one of if not the only guy I would not make available. He's exactly the kind of guy I would try and build a team around especially of you were tearing it down and rebuilding. I would pay him and pay him extremely well to stay. He brings what few players bring as far as skills playing with an edge etc. (all the reasons we would want him) and he's only 23. I tend to think it's wishful thinking he's going to be moved. Especially when some of the deals proposed here over the last few weeks are ones where we're not over paying with real pieces that would hurt. There's been a bunch of here take a real asset and some spares we can live without. I don't see it playing out that way.